Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-11-2022, 07:22 AM   #1
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
17 Camaro V6 Brake Fluid Procedure.

Checked my brake fluid today, which I kinda neglected by accident over a few years. It’s pretty dark. So, it’s going to need to be bled out. I saw on YouTube that the SS has a specific bleed procedure where it’s driver rear, front passenger, rear passenger and then front driver. Is this the same case with the RS/LTs?

17 Camaro.
42,436 miles.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
It's rear right -> rear left -> front right -> front left. The idea is to start bleeding with a caliper that is furthest from the brake reservoir

I stand corrected. After a few posters commented below, it is actually

rear right -> left front -> left rear -> right front.

I have been doing it RR -> RL -> FR -> FL the entire time over 3 brake bleeds, however, and I am still alive.

Last edited by Xyebo; 10-17-2022 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Factual correction.
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:45 PM   #3
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
It's rear right -> rear left -> front right -> front left. The idea is to start bleeding with a caliper that is furthest from the brake reservoir.
Thank you! Looks like I’ll need to remove the wheels, doesn’t look easy to get a wrench in there to open the bleeder.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:27 AM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Negative, guys. The bleeding/flushing order for a sixth-gen Camaro, per the official Factory Service Manual, is: right rear, left front, left rear, right front. It's the same for all brake options on these cars. And yes you most certainly have to remove the wheels.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Negative, guys. The bleeding/flushing order for a sixth-gen Camaro, per the official Factory Service Manual, is: right rear, left front, left rear, right front. It's the same for all brake options on these cars. And yes you most certainly have to remove the wheels.
This is the correct order. Point is to do one hydraulic circuit (RR and LF) before the other (LR and RF) while still doing the furthest from the master cylinder first. In reality it shouldn't really make a difference as long as all the old fluid is cycled out and no air is introduced into the system, but the order from the manual is the more robust order of bleeding.

Also, for your front calipers, you'll want to start on the inboard bleed valve before the outboard one if that wasn't mentioned in the video you saw.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Quote:

I stand corrected, thank you. However, my "incorrect" way did not fail me a single time on track or street, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:49 AM   #7
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Thank you! I didn’t see it in the manual unless I’m blind asf.