Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-05-2022, 03:29 PM   #1
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Engine overpowers braking coming to stop

I know I'm not the only one who experiences this, but has anyone else currently or in the past actually experienced this issue and found a solution for it (ie is it a tuning issue, is it a stock throttle body airflow issue, or maybe is it even both)? I have searched and searched deep and don't come across any clear cut answers so here we are.

This is the way it feels for me coming to a stop:

If I'm revving up to come to a stop (it feels more prevalent in paddleshift mode once I've downshifted to first gear) everything feels fine up until I come to the light or stop sign, then suddenly as the RPM is coming down on the lower end, I feel the engine wants to somehow overpower my braking then I have to step on the brake harder to override that unfavorable engine behavior. I have really looked at it and do not notice the RPM rising as it occurs, but it definitely feels like some sort of engine torque management issue or something.

Anyone got anything? HP Tuners parameters of interest perhaps? Thanks guys.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:11 PM   #2
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
I know I'm not the only one who experiences this, but has anyone else currently or in the past actually experienced this issue and found a solution for it (ie is it a tuning issue, is it a stock throttle body airflow issue, or maybe is it even both)? I have searched and searched deep and don't come across any clear cut answers so here we are.

This is the way it feels for me coming to a stop:

If I'm revving up to come to a stop (it feels more prevalent in paddleshift mode once I've downshifted to first gear) everything feels fine up until I come to the light or stop sign, then suddenly as the RPM is coming down on the lower end, I feel the engine wants to somehow overpower my braking then I have to step on the brake harder to override that unfavorable engine behavior. I have really looked at it and do not notice the RPM rising as it occurs, but it definitely feels like some sort of engine torque management issue or something.

Anyone got anything? HP Tuners parameters of interest perhaps? Thanks guys.

I think I know what you are referring to. I experienced what you describe multiple times when coming to a stop. I thought my brakes were failing for a second. It didn't do it all the time but enough to be annoying. I didn't notice a rise in RPM either. No idea...other than a glitch in the tuning.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I think I know what you are referring to. I experienced what you describe multiple times when coming to a stop. I thought my brakes were failing for a second. It didn't do it all the time but enough to be annoying. I didn't notice a rise in RPM either. No idea...other than a glitch in the tuning.
Yeah there you go. It's not an all the time thing but it is definitely noticeable and notable enough for it to be an issue.

I wish someone knew what the heck the deal is with it.

That being said I'm not ruling out the possibility that a vacuum leak exists somewhere but it is not enough to trigger engine codes, or maybe even be notable enough for it to be caught by a tuner. That may be an avenue I pursue to rule that out entirely as I do have access to a low pressure smoke machine.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
Yeah there you go. It's not an all the time thing but it is definitely noticeable and notable enough for it to be an issue.

I wish someone knew what the heck the deal is with it.

That being said I'm not ruling out the possibility that a vacuum leak exists somewhere but it is not enough to trigger engine codes, or maybe even be notable enough for it to be caught by a tuner. That may be an avenue I pursue to rule that out entirely as I do have access to a low pressure smoke machine.
The few times I experienced it was quite unnerving since I really had to lay into the brakes. Now that you mention it, it does seem like it could be some sort a vacuum leak or something. Whatever it is, it feels like you describe, like the cars wants lurch forward while you have stand on the brake. It only happens at happens at slow speeds.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:59 PM   #5
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The few times I experienced it was quite unnerving since I really had to lay into the brakes. Now that you mention it, it does seem like it could be some sort a vacuum leak or something. Whatever it is, it feels like you describe, like the cars wants lurch forward while you have stand on the brake. It only happens at happens at slow speeds.
It's gotta be either a torque management issue or a vacuum leak issue. Because everything else appears and operates totally sound but it is the strangest thing I have encountered in a vehicle before.

It's sort of scary because like you mentioned you almost have to do a brake stand to make it fully stop, which is not cool at all.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-05-2022, 07:59 PM   #6
KSZLE

Drives: 2021 GT500 CFTP (sold)
I experience this when coming to a stop after a spirited run in track mode. Almost like the car has a mind of its own.
KSZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #7
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSZLE View Post
I experience this when coming to a stop after a spirited run in track mode. Almost like the car has a mind of its own.
Interestingly enough, I experience this in any mode, tour, sport, or track. It doesn't matter what mode I'm in, but I can always count on it acting up at some point while I'm stopping during my drive. To be honest, it's pretty damn dangerous feeling.

The best way I can describe it is like a brief moment of runaway throttle as it approaches a stop.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-05-2022, 09:22 PM   #8
d15b7

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1 LE
It sounds like you guys are losing brake boost assist. You aren’t left foot braking are you?
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:55 PM   #9
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by d15b7 View Post
It sounds like you guys are losing brake boost assist. You aren’t left foot braking are you?
Definitely not, but that is a potential avenue of failure that I haven't thought of. Are you suggesting the brake booster itself is bad? That still doesn't make sense based on what I'm feeling because all of a sudden I feel the engine rock a bit as it's occurring.

Then again, that could very well be an issue with the booster losing vacuum and making the engine surge with the sudden lean spike... Hmm. Didn't even consider that as a possibility on a vehicle this new.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-06-2022, 02:22 AM   #10
ZLRob

So far here's what I got:

- Checked brake booster check valve tonight. Not leaking whatsoever.
- Checked brake booster itself. Not leaking
- Checked all other vacuum connections to make sure they were not slightly off or whatever the case may be. All good.
- Reinstalled everything, ran it, re- simulated the issue once again. Found the issue occurs mostly while it's around 2000-2500 while coasting to a stop with the brake pedal engaged. No loss of vacuum found while it's occuring according to my iDash gauge always somewhere within high 20's through mid 21's while the issue occurs both before, during and after the event.

So far from what I can see it is a tuning issue.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-06-2022, 04:32 AM   #11
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
I've never experienced this in mine.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:01 AM   #12
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Could it be something to do with rev matching? I have an M6 but when rev match is on and I come to a stop in 1st, sometimes the throttle will blip but doesn't affect anything as the clutch is in. Maybe the A10 does this too causing the surge?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #13
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
brake torque management
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Driver Demand tables?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote