Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #15
fredz ride

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Window indexing

Someplace in the manual it talks about express close too. I've never been able to get the drivers or passenger windows to express close? I still get the

open and close window message. Probably means indexing did not work correctly. None of this occurred until to top problems showed up.
Does express close work on your cars?
fredz ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:57 PM   #16
fredz ride

After following the indexing instructions I have express open but think I should have express close too. Maybe all problems with windows are related to top problems. I think when the battery tender power cord got caught in the lift arms near the battery it caused the latch actuator motor to go out of balance. I was going to do the service procedure but if that doesn't fix the problem nothing is gained. I think ember said you need to flash or reprogram the top controller I am going to give that message to the service advisor and see if it help the tech get the car fixed sooner ;-)
Old 08-07-2022, 06:04 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Express Open and Close both work fine for me.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:07 AM   #18
fredz ride

Dealer appt. is set for Thursday 8/11/2022. The window indexing does not work correctly and I'm hoping that part is tied to the roof problems. I mentioned the TSB and programming the Top Controller and they indicated they have all the TSB's. So basically they don't want or need my input ;-).

Over the weekend I replaced my bulb side marker lights with LED side marker lights and I like the look way better. I bought them on ebay and of course they were made in China. There were some fitment issues but all and all they look great.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz ride View Post
Does express close work on your cars?
Yes, both work fine. Including the auto-up trick.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Dealer appt. is set for Thursday 8/11/2022. The window indexing does not work correctly and I'm hoping that part is tied to the roof problems. I mentioned the TSB and programming the Top Controller and they indicated they have all the TSB's. So basically they don't want or need my input ;-).
I have found over the years that most service departments are willing to hear you if you say something like "I saw something about a bulletin for a specific issue with the roof or maybe the windows, so I figured it made sense to have you look at it since you have access to that information directly." Anything else and they get defensive.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #21
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I don't have a video, but I was actually surprised at being able to -open- the door reasonably easily (although it was clear that the window and top were hitting each other). Once the window and top come into contact with each other, the height of the window reduces as the door moves outward because of the way the window's position is changed. Don't get me wrong - the lack of indexing is NOT good for the top and would likely cause damage long-term somewhere with the window and/or door. But the reality is that the door will open. Closing is entirely different...

To close the door, I had to press the glass toward the interior of the door to cause the height of it to be a little lower so that I could get it under the edge of the top.

Well then, that’s some solid info!!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:18 AM   #22
fredz ride

dtc codes

I was surprised that the obd2 scanner I have does not report any fault codes related to the convertible top operation stored in the top controller module.
I contacted a highly rated code scanner company and they said that GM has not released the information about the convertible I have. They asked for the engine info. on my ZL1 and said no code information is available at this time. I would think the professional scanners from Snap On and other companies have the information but I may be wrong. Oh well a couple more days until dealer appt.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #23
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I was surprised that the obd2 scanner I have does not report any fault codes related to the convertible top operation stored in the top controller module.
I contacted a highly rated code scanner company and they said that GM has not released the information about the convertible I have. They asked for the engine info. on my ZL1 and said no code information is available at this time. I would think the professional scanners from Snap On and other companies have the information but I may be wrong. Oh well a couple more days until dealer appt.
Just a guess...

I wonder if the code scanner companies haven't pushed the issue on things like codes for the convertible top due to it not being a terribly DIY-friendly item to work on? Or, maybe it's just that there aren't "enough" of them out there that their customers are pushing for it?
Old 08-13-2022, 06:41 AM   #24
fredz ride

Smile

Got my car back and everything works. Tech notes on paperwork indicate the top controller......"no dtc's all data within range cycle power to the folding top module. completed the folding top motion and relearn all the windows. retest the system all functioning at this time."
This sounds like they removed power and reapplied to reboot the folding top module. Not sure if they reprogrammed it or not. I'm pretty sure that the problems occurred after disconnecting the battery, removing the fuses etc. If your battery dies and this happens you have to take it to the dealer?

Next problems, there is a small (about 1/4" dia.) hole in the top right where the top bead touches the trim on the tonneau cover. Not sure about a fix.
Maybe iron on patch from clothing? Black silicone rubber?

Think I need windows tinted. Visors pretty useless. I'm going to try and find a mobile tint installer.

Curb rash on both rear wheels. I have a mobile "wheel medic".

Scuff through paint on lower bumper near rear side marker. Someone painted over it with a brush.

Dealer ordered plastic/vinyl trim piece that covers latching motor mechanism. The two rear arms are attached by screws so removing the panel breaks the attachment ears. One was broken and I broke the other.

Thanks Guys,
fredz ride
Old 08-13-2022, 07:26 AM   #25
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Hard to know what they are referencing for "reprogramming"... is that the relearning process for window indexing, or did they reinstall the software to a module or two? If you happen to have a good relationship with the service manager, might be worth a convo to at least understand.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #26
fredz ride

On the small hole in my convertible top I found a patch to try. We had some black Velcro so I cut a small piece maybe 3/4 inch by 3/8 inch of the fuzzy side. The adhesive is pretty good but the stuff I had was pretty old. I stuck it on the top and it is holding so far. If you don't know where to look it's hard to find. The goal is to stop the hole from getting bigger. ;-)