Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-05-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
DSC Sport Controller Owners, Lets talk!

2018 ZL1 with the DSC V4 controller in there for a couple of months now..
Starting to understand it a little better, learned a few interesting things and found a few bugs. Overall I like this controller very much!

it also occured to me while doing some slight tuning, that we can share tuning parameters and maybe save each other some time.. Sort of like, this worked, this didn't, this made the car faster, slower, and so on. For example, in a few minutes I was able to tune out that way too soft ride you get in touring and even sport mode when you are not throwing the car around.. very simple fix.

I also discovered a few bugs in the system and waiting for a call from an engineer to verify. One may really interest some of you... so it appears that the suspension only changes when you switch the chassis settings, but not the independent suspension settings on your stereo screen. so if you are in touring chassis mode and race suspension mode, you may feel no difference and it appears this is why. I noticed it while data logging the current level going to chocks.

There is another thing but I can share if anyone has interest in tuning your controller..

hope there are more of you out there!
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
What do you mean by Chassis and Suspension settings? Does the DSC not change when you select Touring, Sport or Track?
Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Interesting, so you're saying, the infotainment suspension setting changes while driving do not change actually change the mag rides performance? That only the button in the center console does?

The steering is absolutely affected by that screen, this I have verified as of yesterday and of course, so is exhaust.

So, the controller does not come with a "base map" for the ZL1 for you to install? You are essentially playing Mag Ride suspension tuner from the onset? IF that is the case, that might be great for some people, but for me I don't have the time to dial the car in and I know without a ton of track time, I won't be able to make it better quick enough...I know I'm more of a driver than a RaceCraft engineer.

Thanks for the info!
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
Interesting, so you're saying, the infotainment suspension setting changes while driving do not change actually change the mag rides performance? That only the button in the center console does?
Exactly, at least that's what I saw. Would love to see if anyone one else sees the same thing. this is with the DSC Controller installed

Quote:
The steering is absolutely affected by that screen, this I have verified as of yesterday and of course, so is exhaust.
That is not affected, its all working fine

Quote:
So, the controller does not come with a "base map" for the ZL1 for you to install? You are essentially playing Mag Ride suspension tuner from the onset? IF that is the case, that might be great for some people, but for me I don't have the time to dial the car in and I know without a ton of track time, I won't be able to make it better quick enough...I know I'm more of a driver than a RaceCraft engineer.

Thanks for the info!
that's not what I said fellas, it does have a very extensive base map... what I tuned was the comfort settings in the "G Comfort Parameters" which is a program that loosens up the shocks if the car sees no or low g forces and when you are just cruising, designed to make you really notice the comfort in touring mode.. unfortunately for some (including me) those settings are way too soft and floaty, and this controller gives you the ability to tweak that a little and clean it up, which is what I did

I am hoping in this thread we can share those changes and parameters, even files to tune these things and I am hoping there are others who are already tuning theirs. once you have an updated file, you can just load it to your controller in a few minutes.. its quite amazing

another lovely thing is that you can view those files using their pc program, see whats actually happening there and what changes were made before you upload it into the car, to make sure you are not loading something horrific into your controller
Old 03-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
Exactly, at least that's what I saw. Would love to see if anyone one else sees the same thing. this is with the DSC Controller installed

That is not affected, its all working fine

that's not what I said fellas, it does have a very extensive base map... what I tuned was the comfort settings in the "G Comfort Parameters" which is a program that loosens up the shocks if the car sees no or low g forces and when you are just cruising, designed to make you really notice the comfort in touring mode.. unfortunately for some (including me) those settings are way too soft and floaty, and this controller gives you the ability to tweak that a little and clean it up, which is what I did

I am hoping in this thread we can share those changes and parameters, even files to tune these things and I am hoping there are others who are already tuning theirs. once you have an updated file, you can just load it to your controller in a few minutes.. its quite amazing

another lovely thing is that you can view those files using their pc program, see whats actually happening there and what changes were made before you upload it into the car, to make sure you are not loading something horrific into your controller
If it was designed properly, you wouldn't need to "clean it up". A sports car should NEVER feel floaty in any mode.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
DOHCVTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
If it was designed properly, you wouldn't need to "clean it up". A sports car should NEVER feel floaty in any mode.
it felt that way to me, may not feel that way to others. this may be a matter of opinion
Old 03-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
DOHCVTEC

so no one has this controller ha?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
What does that tell you, LOL

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
I loved it on my Focus RS and Z06. I will get it for the Zl1 eventually, but I'm pretty happy with it out of the box. I will be subscribing.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Quote:
I have the V4 DSC and think it’s a good mod. Will know better in a couple weeks when I return to VIR. Some on here seem to think GM has the MRC perfected because they have been offering for a while but that seems pretty narrow minded. If everything came optimized on these cars no one would change exhaust, pulleys, brakes, springs, etc. By the way, I’m not defending DSC in any way just because I’ve been an adopter and spent my money. If I notice something suspect or feel it’s unsafe or erratic I’ll put the stock controller back in and post my findings.
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I've had my V4 brand new in the box for sale but with threads like these it makes me curious to try out once the weather clears up. Interested in trying it out and sharing settings to see if the V2 box's jack-rabbit behavior can be eliminated.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
I've had my V4 brand new in the box for sale but with threads like these it makes me curious to try out once the weather clears up. Interested in trying it out and sharing settings to see if the V2 box's jack-rabbit behavior can be eliminated.
You should. I would love to hear your take. Do you track your car at VIR, Dominion or elsewhere? Also if you’ve tracked your car do you have any video?
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #13
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
If weather permits, Fanatic and myself will be able to test this unit thoroughly at VIR in 2 weeks. Fanatic is a way above average driver with excellent car control so trust his judgement. Street manners means almost nothing to me. The Camaro platform is definitely not where DSC makes its $ so we must be patient with fine tuning as their reward for making a half dozen track rats happy is minimal...sad but true.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #14
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Fanatic View Post
You should. I would love to hear your take. Do you track your car at VIR, Dominion or elsewhere? Also if you’ve tracked your car do you have any video?
Haven’t tracked it yet. Just autocrossed tragically.

Will do Shenandoah at some point this year.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc controller, dsc sport, mag ride, zl1