Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Astonished at how much attention the Camaro got at the tire store :)

I've owned some interesting vehicles in the past that have attarcted some attention, but I was astonished this morning by the local tire store staff's reaction when I brought in my 2022 LT1 with Magnacharger kit and Alea leather interior to get a pair of Nitto 555R2 tires installed.

My car is an LT1 (not an SS or ZL1) with OEM white exterior paint, and the car's only obvious visual enhancements are the Redline trim and the lipstick red Alea leather interior that pretty much exactly matches the interior Redline trim pieces. The presence of the Magnacharger of course is not visible at all. And there are no exterior stripes or hash marks even. So, I myself view the car as visually attractive, but not anything that visually special compared to other cars I have owned, or seen, in person or on TV or online.

The shop is set up so that a customer can see the entire workbays area through a wall that is glassed its entire length, so I could see what was happening the entire time my car was there.

Despite the "sleeper" exterior, after one of the (female) mechanics drove the car inside, within a minute, EVERY member of the staff was at the car looking it over.

And once the OEM runflat tires were dismounted, and the Nitto 555R2s were rolled to the tire mounting area, same thing - EVERY team member gathered around. Also interesting was the fact that it was the female staff members who were most animated.

Then the shop manager came out to ask my permission to take some photos.

The 4 prior Corvettes, the Roush Mustang, and even the Chevy SSR (retro convertible hardtop pickup), that I have owned over the past 47 years have never attracted THAT much attention.

I asked the manager why all the attention. He said "It's a really nice car".

What IS it about a Camaro that attracts that much attention?? And what is it that attracted the female team members even more than the male ones? Is a Camaro now a "chick magnet"??

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #2
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Mine got attention the first few years, but nothing now.
My Ecto HHR though gets a ton everywhere. Lost count of how many people take photos from their cars as they drive by.
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i don't take the car to tire stores, but i imagine it would not be exciting. these cars are everywhere. hell at one point there were 3 other ss 1LEs within 5 miles of me and i live in the country.

go drive around an ae86 toyota. never in my life have i gotten more attention than when i was in that pos lol.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I've owned some interesting vehicles in the past that have attarcted some attention, but I was astonished this morning by the local tire store staff's reaction when I brought in my 2022 LT1 with Magnacharger kit and Alea leather interior to get a pair of Nitto 555R2 tires installed.

My car is an LT1 (not an SS or ZL1) with OEM white exterior paint, and the car's only obvious visual enhancements are the Redline trim and the lipstick red Alea leather interior that pretty much exactly matches the interior Redline trim pieces. The presence of the Magnacharger of course is not visible at all. And there are no exterior stripes or hash marks even. So, I myself view the car as visually attractive, but not anything that visually special compared to other cars I have owned, or seen, in person or on TV or online.

The shop is set up so that a customer can see the entire workbays area through a wall that is glassed its entire length, so I could see what was happening the entire time my car was there.

Despite the "sleeper" exterior, after one of the (female) mechanics drove the car inside, within a minute, EVERY member of the staff was at the car looking it over.

And once the OEM runflat tires were dismounted, and the Nitto 555R2s were rolled to the tire mounting area, same thing - EVERY team member gathered around. Also interesting was the fact that it was the female staff members who were most animated.

Then the shop manager came out to ask my permission to take some photos.

The 4 prior Corvettes, the Roush Mustang, and even the Chevy SSR (retro convertible hardtop pickup), that I have owned over the past 47 years have never attracted THAT much attention.

I asked the manager why all the attention. He said "It's a really nice car".

What IS it about a Camaro that attracts that much attention?? And what is it that attracted the female team members even more than the male ones? Is a Camaro now a "chick magnet"??

Jim G
Those employees were Car People and your beautiful car is now a Rarity, that's why

Speaking of female Camaro owners, to my surprise I've found that about half of 5th gen drivers in my neck of the woods are ladies, to my surprise. Many more 5th gens here than 6th gens, so I don't know if this is still the same with newer model years, but this car does look freaking amazing, no wonder it garners attention from the right crowd.

Now imagine if those folks in the tire shop had seen mine with the beautiful front end, side skirts, splitter and hash marks... but I'll stop right here

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
these cars are everywhere. hell at one point there were 3 other ss 1LEs within 5 miles of me and i live in the country.
OP's in Alberta, so yeah not exactly Miami Beach.

And on that note, hey OP how bout some pics? Give us some redline love!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I got home from an extended (for me) vacation this summer and wanted to take a drive in my Camaro to unwind but was very disappointed to find I had picked up a nail during a last drive prior to leaving.

I've got Michelin PS4's so I just pulled that wheel off and dropped it at at the most convenient tire shop where I'd never done any business. I told'em I'd just drop it off and to call me when it was fixed.

Got a call an hour later it was ready and went to pick it up and pay. No one in the office when I got there. While waiting, one the guys that do the actual work came in and said it was done, but I told him I hadn't paid. He said, "The Camaro wheel?" and I confirmed. He said "you're good to go."

I'll be returning to that tire shop.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
I've done business with Discount Tire for 30 plus years , they did with me waay back , got me hooked , things like that is good prospective business.
Nitto 555R2 great tires ,I had them put on my 70 Camaro SS with 18 x9 1/2 rear 8 on front, with Hotchkis suspension F & R didn't handle like a 52 year old Car.
Old 11-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #8
tlr3715

Drives: 2002 Z28, 2023 1LT RS Redline
Redlines are great. Didn’t think much of them until I saw the one coming into the dealer I ultimately purchased. I think it’s the best looking package GM makes right now and comes with a bunch of stuff not even listed on the product page like the body colored front chin splitter and the gloss black door inserts. Outstanding value and looks for the price.
tlr3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #9
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

. . .

Now imagine if those folks in the tire shop had seen mine with the beautiful front end, side skirts, splitter and hash marks... but I'll stop right here
Are we still talking about a car?

Jim G
Old 11-24-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
OP's in Alberta, so yeah not exactly Miami Beach.

And on that note, hey OP how bout some pics? Give us some redline love!

As requested . . .

You can see that there is nothing visually stunning on the exterior.

Sorry about the dirt on the wheel in the photo showing the Nitto 555R2. We got THREE big snowfalls 2 weeks ago and today was the first day that the roads were iceless, but the tire shop parking lot still had melting ice and snow at 6 degrees C = 44F!

Jim G
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2022, 03:41 PM   #11
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
What is it that attracted the female team members even more than the male ones? Is a Camaro now a "chick magnet"?
A theory? Your LT1 Redline is understated and more visually integrated than models with contrasting hoods and lower splitters, sticker stripes, tacked on spoilers, etc. Those "macho" features don't necessarily appeal to women. The Redline option elements are subtle. Your red leather interior? Not so much : )
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:21 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No worries about the dirty wheel but your LT1 is a good looking Camaro and I can imagine why the tire shop folks were checking it out! Yours is definitely different with the addition of a supercharger and stealth looks.��
Old 11-24-2022, 04:24 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Those employees were Car People and your beautiful car is now a Rarity, that's why

Speaking of female Camaro owners, to my surprise I've found that about half of 5th gen drivers in my neck of the woods are ladies, to my surprise. Many more 5th gens here than 6th gens, so I don't know if this is still the same with newer model years, but this car does look freaking amazing, no wonder it garners attention from the right crowd.

Come on now arpad_m!
Old 11-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Let’s not forget about the clearly superior vintage 16-18 smoked taillights, as well as having more HP than a ZL1. Yep, they’d be falling all over themselves
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote