Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
tlr3715

Drives: 2002 Z28, 2023 1LT RS Redline
Camaro vs Mustang GT and other cars

Had a few months in my new Camaro and wanted to share my thoughts on it compared to the 2017 Mustang GT performance package it replaced plus the other cars I have owned before that.

First, what really annoyed me about the Mustang after driving it for the past five years and what I was looking for in my next car.

The Mustang had a lot of power but I had tremendous frustration getting the car off the line and traction issues. In summer heat could sometimes get a good launch but most of the time I would just experience wheel hop and spinning tires. I drive my cars all year round, so in the winter those issues are multiplied. Granted summer tires are not meant to be driven in cold, but my other sports cars with summer rubber were not as bad as the mustang. The Mustang gripped well in the corners but felt very heavy in general with the big engine high and far forward not helping. It also had a lot of body lean even though it had the “heavy duty “ shocks of the performance package. The whole thing really limited my enjoyment of the car and I found myself missing the better handling of the 370Z Nismo and Corvettes I have owned in the past.

In my next car I wanted it to handle well with a better overall fun factor. I also had a budget limit with a new son. I was cross shopping BRZ/GR86 and WRX vehicles, but ultimately decided on the Camaro.

In the end I had a choice between an SS out of state being sold under MSRP, a 1LT, and a V6 RS Redline Edition. I ultimately went with the V6 because the lightness appealed to me and the balance of tire grip to power. I ordered the lowering suspension upgrade system because I wanted a car that was the polar opposite of the Mustang but still had more power than the WRX.

So far I think I made the right choice. I certainly miss the power and torque of the Mustang and corvettes I have owned, but my overall fun factor is right up there with some of my favorite cars from the past. It’s light and nimble, it grips in the turns and I can do whatever I want with the engine in all temps. Last night in 35 degree weather I was able to accelerate to redline with the traction control off with no wheel spin harder than any of the non V8 cars I was cross shopping and even harder than some of the early model V8 Camaro and Firebirds I have owned. Have never been able to do that before in the cold. Outstanding and well designed and balanced car. Can’t wait to see what an even lower center of gravity does to this car once the suspension comes in.

This car can do it all based on the configuration. If you want a light car that can slay a GR86 is has that in the L4 and V6 options. If you want a muscle car cruiser it has that in the LT1 and if you want a track beast that will compete with expensive sports cars there is the SS and up. Don’t understand why more people are not buying these cars. They are best in class for the money.
tlr3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:23 PM   #2
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I tend to agree with you that the RS models, be that four or six cylinder variants, are excellent vehicles and offer plenty of power and acceleration for the average consumer. However, we're Americans and we like our engines large and with at least 8 cylinders.

However, be prepared for all of the standard rhetoric about how real Camaros come with V8s, etc., etc. There's a lot of fun that could be had with the 4 or 6 cylinder cars in 1LE trims, too. Just ask Randy Pobst about why he purchased on of those.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #3
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Glad you are enjoying your Camaro.

You were driving a Mustang GT with summer only tires all winter long in NY??
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
I've driven the 2.0t, v6, and LT1 V8 6th gen. Also test drove a S550 mustang GT. I prefer the camaro, but I would not be happy without the V8. The 4 and the 6 might be sufficient for some, but neither made me smile as frequently as the 8. Additionally, the V8 has a much higher power ceiling and much more aftermarket support for power modifications. People always downplay the frequency of being able to "use the power" of the V8, I always find a way to do a few wide open throttle 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, even on my shortest drives. And the neck snapping torque just off idle on the V8 is addictive and renders the 2.0t and v6 dull for my tastes.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:09 PM   #5
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Good choice! I love my SS 1LE but recently drove a Caddy ATS 2.0T AWD and that's going to be my dd... when used car prices drop a bit more. The SS is getting to be a bit more track oriented and is massive overkill on the street, it'll be nice to have a more practical alternative.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr3715 View Post
This car can do it all based on the configuration. If you want a light car that can slay a GR86 is has that in the L4 and V6 options. If you want a muscle car cruiser it has that in the LT1 and if you want a track beast that will compete with expensive sports cars there is the SS and up. Don’t understand why more people are not buying these cars. They are best in class for the money.
Thanks for this great summary, tlr3715. I think your last paragraph spells out the gist and I couldn't agree more.

I had a V6 6th gen Camaro as well, and it's a nimble cruiser built on the same great platform, I can completely understand the appeal.

Unfortunately for us enthusiasts, lower trims don't have the power and the V8 wow factor to counteract the limitations of the design, some real, some only perceived, which has affected Camaro sales.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:19 PM   #7
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
When I had my 15 GT/PP car I was the same as you, wheel hop was a killer and spun me out a few times, nearly wrecked the car. I put at least a Grand worth of Steeda's parts under the rear and really cleaned it up that way.

Was never anything like my 1LE I had after that though.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:01 PM   #8
tlr3715

Completely get why people love the V8 models. If I had a bigger budget my choice would be between an SS 1LE (as I think that suspension and tire setup complements the V8 power well) and a Supra. There is definitely a lack of torque at some point in the rev range of the V6. Sometimes I’ll punch it and it will take off other times it feels like the engine is playing catch up. If it had about 350 lb/ft of torque I think the car would be in a whole different league at its weight point.

Unlimited budget I would be looking at a used 427 Convertible or a Viper… or maybe a Porsche since they seem to have resolved the pendulum handling issues inherent with that car in recent years.

And yes I drive sports cars year round even if they come with summer rubber. I learned to drive in Maine with a 240sx so learned young how to drive with low traction. The mustang was extra slippery though compared to the rest.

Compared to the 370Z Nismo it feels lighter and faster although on paper it is about the same weight and the 370 is a quicker car. I think it has to do with the better torque compared with the Nissan 3.7 liter. I don’t even remember being that impressed with the 370Z acceleration perhaps it had something to do with the unpleasant engine noise it had. The Camaro 3.6 with the NPP in sport mode is quite impressive and one of the better sounding cars I’ve driven. The Nissan had the edge in overall cornering feel as it was much stiffer in general and had tires as wide as a corvette.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:47 PM   #9
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I like the lgx best it runs great on 93 octane.I can run it hard and keep my license and not look like a complete a hole.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
I'm a "year-rounder" also and I live where it will get to -20 deg F and hold ice and snow for months (northwestern IL). I'm very picky about tires and that is why I have a winter wheel/tire setup for my SS with Blizzak tires. I also travel a lot for work and spend time on the interstates in the midwest during the winter and we get a lot of icing of the roads that will build up quickly. Running summer-only tires here would be reckless and result in being towed out of a ditch.

I also take the summer only tire temp limitations seriously. If the mfr says cracking can occur below 20 deg F and not to drive the car if the tires are below 40 deg F then I take that seriously because a blowout from cracking would endanger others as well.

I plan on buying the PS4 in the spring as an all-season tire for the stock 20" wheels so I don't have to switch out so early in the year (we've already had snow and a week that stayed below 30 deg F). I'll store the stock summer-only for a future track day.

This thread summarizes the top tire options: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611488

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #11
MPowered

Drives: cam of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Glad you are enjoying your Camaro.

You were driving a Mustang GT with summer only tires all winter long in NY??

It's not uncommon to drive a sports car all year long. It depends on your skill and driving knowledge, the area you're in, and some common sense. I used to daily an M3 with max summer tires, and at some point the tires were balding and I got by fine. I've taken my rear wheel drive M3 through ice and snow and a few single digit degrees. The only time that I turn on the dynamic stability control was when there was snow or ice. I would only swap out the BMW for something else when snow was more than a few inches because of the low clearance on the M3.

If you drive like a normal car then a sports car in the cold is no worse. Problems happen when people drive with summer tires like summer time. I remember it's kind of funny when I'm just putting along in the snow trying to keep the car strait when people were blowing by me in their 4x4 trucks. I'm like you do you, I know what I'm doing with my car.
MPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:43 PM   #12
PizzzzzaForPresident

Drives: Ferrari F40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowered View Post
I used to daily an M3 with max summer tires, and at some point the tires were balding and I got by fine. I've taken my rear wheel drive M3 through ice and snow and a few single digit degrees. The only time that I turn on the dynamic stability control was when there was snow or ice.
You must live in the flattest place in the world that only receives light dustings of snow, because you're not going anywhere in snow on summer tires even with AWD. Not to mention, the rubber compounds are different so they turn into hockey pucks and slide easily even on dry pavement when it's cold enough. I've waited too long to put on winter tires on my GT-R and S4 (both AWD) and got caught in snow storms leaving me stranded. Summer tires in snowy climates don't work.

PizzzzzaForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 02:20 PM   #13
tlr3715

I’ve driven summer rubber all winter down to -10. There has been some minor cracking in a few of the tires but performance always returned to normal once the temps increased in the summer. I would not drive them in snow though. Got stuck in a Firebird Formula with summer tires in a snow storm once on my commute back from work which was about an hour on a good day. Made it about 90% of the way home but could not clear an exit ramp with a slight incline. Gave up half way up and let the car slide back down into a parking lot of a hotel.

All of the cars I have owned have had summer rubber except for one corvette which had all seasons and the 240sx The 240sx I drove in Maine had steel studded snow tires in the winter. I used to do crazy things in that car on the ice. Could build up momentum to launch up hills and stop at the apex to plan my slide down. Would never attempt that kind of stuff now. It’s amazing I didn’t crash looking back on my youth.