Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #29
Mellowjive

Drives: '18 RS 2LT, V6 M6, NPP, CAI, Brembo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
Sounds like you got it right. I would like to have those aluminum bushings and instructions on how you did it.
I want to make sure they are perfect when shipped out, so let me take a couple final measurements and tweak the specs slightly. Then I'm going to produce a couple plastic testers to make sure everything matches to .01 mm.

So far, a pair of aluminum shipped out are looking about $150 because it's such low volume. However, I want to talk to some experts to see if ABS plastic, polypropylene, or something similar could last long-term. That could bring the cost closer to ~$80.

I will post back to this board soon. I really want the dealers to stop screwing over customers with a new shifter + 5 hours shop labor without disclosing it's actually due to their faulty bushing.
Mellowjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:41 PM   #30
Bad 1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Any machine shop with a cnc lathe can make 50 sets those in no time flat if you already have them spec'd out or drawn. There would be plenty more sales at a lower price point to lay out cash and see a return on investment after only selling a small handfull of sets. I planned on turning a set of these up on my little lathe when the time comes. I do a lot of industrial fab and prototyping. Hell, I'd still be a buyer at like $50 just to not have to measure and make them and tie up a machine. If you pay more than $10-15 per full set in a batch to have them done via cnc you'd be gettiing ripped off. I'm in MA where everything is expensive and that price is about what we'd pay out when we sub out machine work. Very simple parts to make with minimal set up. If you've alreay done the leg work, it wouldn't take much to get a side hustle going if you wanted. Just need to find a decent machine shop and make sure they can hit the mark every time so you don't end up with pissed off customers, haha.
Bad 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:52 PM   #31
Bad 1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I'd lean towards the Delrin impregnated with PTFE over nylon or abs plastic if you aren't going to stuck with aluminum. I think out of all the plastics it would hold up best. We've used it in some of the worst conditions imaginable and it always performs well.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:14 AM   #32
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
If aluminum gives the best shifting I would use aluminum. As long as it is the most durable.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #33
Mellowjive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad 1LE View Post
Any machine shop with a cnc lathe can make 50 sets those in no time flat if you already have them spec'd out or drawn. There would be plenty more sales at a lower price point to lay out cash and see a return on investment after only selling a small handfull of sets. I planned on turning a set of these up on my little lathe when the time comes. I do a lot of industrial fab and prototyping. Hell, I'd still be a buyer at like $50 just to not have to measure and make them and tie up a machine. If you pay more than $10-15 per full set in a batch to have them done via cnc you'd be gettiing ripped off. I'm in MA where everything is expensive and that price is about what we'd pay out when we sub out machine work. Very simple parts to make with minimal set up. If you've alreay done the leg work, it wouldn't take much to get a side hustle going if you wanted. Just need to find a decent machine shop and make sure they can hit the mark every time so you don't end up with pissed off customers, haha.

That would be awesome to get a cost around $20 but I'm not at any point to place orders for 50 sets of aluminum bushings sitting at my house. So far it looks like we have 2 or 3 interested people with this problem, and at this custom volume then that's the cost to make it worth anyone's time. I have a job and two kids under 5.... time is money and i'm giving mine out free so far because I hate stupid problems like this, and boards like these have saved me before.

But some things to consider that should not be underestimated. Time it took to find the original measurements of what it SHOULD be after mine were disintegrated, produce a prototype through a machine shop that needs to eat, test and tweak them slightly, and final test again. Every time I have to go under the car and fit into the linkage is an hour minimum. It also cost me another $50 to have the 3d laser scan created, plus the time to find the guy who would take such a small job. I also have an extra shifter linkage here to do a final QA which cost me a couple hundred.

If you have the tools and ability then that's awesome, but most people like me do not, and have to work through other parties that have overhead. And I assume you are counting the cost of your time as free. If you priced your time and overhead to the machinery and aluminum blanks, then you're automatically over $300 minimum to make a set. To then sell them to other people with your name on it is a whole other level.

With all that said, if you want to be the machine shop, and buy out my 3d models (.stp and .stl), then I'd be open to it. My problem is already fixed... I'm cruising with amazing shifts locked in now.

p.s. postage alone for parts to me, and then to a customer is ~$20 with tracking.

Last edited by Mellowjive; 11-21-2022 at 09:52 AM. Reason: postage cost
Old 11-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #34
Mellowjive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad 1LE View Post
I'd lean towards the Delrin impregnated with PTFE over nylon or abs plastic if you aren't going to stuck with aluminum. I think out of all the plastics it would hold up best. We've used it in some of the worst conditions imaginable and it always performs well.
Thank you, good to know.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:54 AM   #35
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
Do these have to be installed from underneath? i'm pretty sure the answer is yes, just dreading it. Thanks for going out on a limb and digging into this!
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:33 PM   #36
Mellowjive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx_traveler View Post
Do these have to be installed from underneath? i'm pretty sure the answer is yes, just dreading it. Thanks for going out on a limb and digging into this!
yes. Place stick in neutral, throw it on a lift or stand. It was also helpful to remove the transmission mount plate which is about 6 nuts with high torque. You'll have a tight squeeze with the drive shaft installed, but you can do it.

Below images are from the Hurst short throw instructions with the driveshaft and exhaust removed. I will try to take some high res photos this week. https://documents.holley.com/3916050_instructions.pdf
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2022, 07:15 PM   #37
Gen6cyl

My stock shifter is ok if I don't rush it. If I get excited like in a racing situation and rush or hammer the shifts the shifting gets soft , sloppy and inaccurate. Have your aluminum bushings fixed this ? If I could shift hard and fast with accuracy it would be worth $150.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:05 PM   #38
Mellowjive

Quote:
My stock shifter is ok if I don't rush it. If I get excited like in a racing situation and rush or hammer the shifts the shifting gets soft , sloppy and inaccurate. Have your aluminum bushings fixed this ? If I could shift hard and fast with accuracy it would be worth $150.
I think you will be pleased with the feel and result of the aluminum bushings. It keeps it in the tracks/gates very nicely and firm. No lateral movement when engaged in a gear.

Good news is I got a new CNC quote and it allows me to have a set fully shipped out for $100, even after paypal fees and postage.

video of mine installed:
https://youtu.be/HJQYTn8phkY

Order Here. Next batch arriving end of December
https://www.fullmetalbushing.com/

other posting with this same discussion:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=607655&page=3

Last edited by Mellowjive; 12-08-2022 at 12:37 PM. Reason: updated link
Old 07-19-2023, 07:58 PM   #39
Inlandiggy

Drives: 2019 camaro 1lt rs
Shifter question

I have 2019 v6 mt camaro rs and I installed the gm short throw shifter from their website a long time ago had 0 issues with it u til about 48k its crazy loose in gear like the op said as well is the short throw on their website the same as the 1le shifter ?
Inlandiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 05:29 AM   #40
Gen6cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlandiggy View Post
I have 2019 v6 mt camaro rs and I installed the gm short throw shifter from their website a long time ago had 0 issues with it u til about 48k its crazy loose in gear like the op said as well is the short throw on their website the same as the 1le shifter ?
Why would gm make a third shifter? Should have got metal bushings.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:58 PM   #41
Mellowjive

Quote:
Why would gm make a third shifter? Should have got metal bushings.
LoL, your account suspended... What'd you do?

The linkage is the same for all i4 and v6 camaros from 2016+. Doesn't matter if you get the short or stock long throw. They still hook up the same to the tr-3160 tranny. So the aluminum replacement bushings work for both.

I've been driving on the metal bushings for almost a year already and it's still like new. I never have to think about it, which is how it should be. So you can focus on fun things like headers, cams, exhaust, and brembos!
Old 08-04-2023, 09:43 PM   #42
buckwam

Drives: 2021 camaro 1ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowjive View Post
yes. Place stick in neutral, throw it on a lift or stand. It was also helpful to remove the transmission mount plate which is about 6 nuts with high torque. You'll have a tight squeeze with the drive shaft installed, but you can do it.

Below images are from the Hurst short throw instructions with the driveshaft and exhaust removed. I will try to take some high res photos this week. https://documents.holley.com/3916050_instructions.pdf
Is replacing the stock plastic bushings with these aluminum pieces an easy process if one was already going to swap in a short throw shifter?
buckwam is offline   Reply With Quote