Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-18-2022, 10:06 PM   #1
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Camaro ZL1 vs '22 Supra 3.0

Figured I'd share with the group as a point of comparison since my new Supra 3.0 was finally delivered this past weekend. I put a deposit down in late June, so I waited almost 4 months. Car was built in May, I believe, so it was already in transit when I put down a deposit.

I am keeping the ZL1, it's my main car. My wife and I are "sharing" the Supra as our fun 3rd car.

First impressions are the Supra feels light and nimble and has a solid chassis. My ZL1 feels like an all-pro linebacker: athletic and powerful, hits hard, solid, but not really that light on its feet. The Supra is more like a cornerback, quick, nimble, responsive, light on its feet, but not as powerful. It feels quick, but not ZL1 quick. In roll races it is almost exactly the same as an auto Camaro SS or Mustang GT, so it's certainly no slouch in a straight line.

The Supra's front end is really responsive, and turns in immediately, and you can tell its 500 lbs lighter than my ZL1, it feels it. The ZL1 is more capable overall but doesn't have the lightness of the Supra.

The interior is small, but it's a small car, so it doesn't bother me. I love the adjustable seats, adjustable lumbar AND side bolsters. The interior feels a step up from the ZL1. The best parts of the ZL1 interior are on par with the Supra (e.g., the Alcantara), but the Supra has better secondary surfaces. I wish it had a speedo in lieu of a digital readout.

So far so good!

I love the rear 3/4 view of this car:
Name:  image_50386689 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1701
Size:  389.7 KB

Name:  image_50377473 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1685
Size:  344.3 KB

Name:  image_50417409 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1689
Size:  394.2 KB

My ZL1:
Name:  Zl1 front qtr.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  223.1 KB

Name:  IMG-1840 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  248.2 KB

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Thanks for the write-up and pics of that cool car. The front is growing on me, the headlights reaching towards the front of the bumper is something I struggle with on the SS too, still getting used to it.

I love the aggressive styling though, and would love to drive one.

Very nice looking car! Congrats.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I like the fact we have choices here in the USA but that would never be in my garage, or driveway for that matter.

I hope you do enjoy it.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
No car design is perfect in my eyes. From the windshield back, it looks very good, almost Viper like to me. But I can’t get past the front end, needs complete redo. Is it manual? Nice color on both cars and congrats!
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #5
tarmelter

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
sweet cars. Your a lucky guy to have both. I considered a Supra over my 1LE SS but ultimately opted for the 1LE. I would have been happy either way. Your ZL1 is beautiful. Same color as my 1LE.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #6
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
is your supra the 6 speed manual? i'm curious how the zf 8 speed compares to the 10 speed if they're both autos.

the supras are definitely rare, but ZL1s are rare around me as well. the look is growing on me and i could see one in my driveway in the future.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:26 PM   #7
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
No car design is perfect in my eyes. From the windshield back, it looks very good, almost Viper like to me. But I can’t get past the front end, needs complete redo. Is it manual? Nice color on both cars and congrats!
Thanks! It's the auto. And I agree, from the windshield back it's awesome. I like the headlights and front end from straight on quite a lot...but I think there's something about the middle area of the hood from the side view that is a little off but can't put my finger on it just yet. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the smoothness and lack of definition in the hood/fender area between the wheel well and windshield, but not even sure that's it. It could be the high cowl height compared to the passenger area - like I said, not really sure yet. It has a very good dash-to-axle ratio, so that's not it either. The hood is a clamshell and is absurdly large, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmelter View Post
sweet cars. Your a lucky guy to have both. I considered a Supra over my 1LE SS but ultimately opted for the 1LE. I would have been happy either way. Your ZL1 is beautiful. Same color as my 1LE.
Thanks, I definitely feel lucky to have a Supra and ZL1, though it's not all luck; I work hard and have a successful engineering career that's helped put me in a situation financially where I can afford to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx_traveler View Post
is your supra the 6 speed manual? i'm curious how the zf 8 speed compares to the 10 speed if they're both autos.

the supras are definitely rare, but ZL1s are rare around me as well. the look is growing on me and i could see one in my driveway in the future.
Yeah, I see more Supras around here than ZL1s, though Supras still aren't a common site. Mine is a '22 with the ZF 8 speed auto, the manuals are '23. I need more seat time with it to determine how the ZF auto fully compares to the A10 in my ZL1. Initial impressions are the downshifts with the paddles are a tad quicker and more responsive than the paddles with the ZL1. Not really sure about the rest of it yet. I've only driven it 3 times since getting it (my wife drives it more than me).

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 11-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #8
PizzzzzaForPresident

Drives: Ferrari F40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Thanks for the write-up and pics of that cool car. The front is growing on me, the headlights reaching towards the front of the bumper is something I struggle with on the SS too, still getting used to it.

It has some serious presence in person that I have yet to see a photo capture. The proportions are pretty unusual, but in a good way. I haven't seen many in the wild, so every time I encounter one, especially from the front, it takes my brain a second to process what I'm seeing and my mind always jumps to exotics - "Is that a 599?!"...or from the rear it's more like "is that the new Vantage?!". I haven't driven one yet but I really like the styling and now that a manual is offered I'm very tempted to explore that route.
PizzzzzaForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzzzzaForPresident View Post
It has some serious presence in person that I have yet to see a photo capture. The proportions are pretty unusual, but in a good way. I haven't seen many in the wild, so every time I encounter one, especially from the front, it takes my brain a second to process what I'm seeing and my mind always jumps to exotics - "Is that a 599?!"...or from the rear it's more like "is that the new Vantage?!". I haven't driven one yet but I really like the styling and now that a manual is offered I'm very tempted to explore that route.
Ha, yeah, the Supra has an almost exotic front engine car look to it from many angles: Low, long front end, huge and pronounced rear fenders, swooping and narrowing greenhouse and roofline shape, duckbill spoiler, etc. The thing keeping it from looking truly exotic is that most front-engine exotics are slightly wider and lower with a slightly longer wheelbase. But the exotic shape characteristics are definitely there. That said, the more I look at it in my garage or out and about walking to/from the car, the more I like it.

My wife drives it more than me, but I drove it to work on Monday, and yeah, it's a ton of fun.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 11-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #10
CamOnlyJabroni

Drives: 19’ ZL1 A10 / 16’ C7Z M7
The Supra body does not flow well at all IMO but still manages to look pretty good in certain colors. Although much more expensive, I would go the M4 route if I was taking that path.

Nice Rides
CamOnlyJabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #11
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni View Post
The Supra body does not flow well at all IMO but still manages to look pretty good in certain colors. Although much more expensive, I would go the M4 route if I was taking that path.

Nice Rides
I agree, M4 is a higher end car altogether though. The new M2 looks really good despite the initial reactions to it's styling, and costs is similar vs the Supra as well. Personally, I'd go M2 and if I had the cash, the '21 or '22 M2 CS.

The one thing holding me back from any modern BMW would be long term cost of ownership. Might be fun to lease, but I prefer to own and keep long term especially with ICE cars being phased out over the next 15 years or so.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #12
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Definitely the Camaro ZL1 is way superior to the Supra 3.0. I think that the Supra 3.0 compares better with the SS1LE. By the way, both of your cars look awesome in that color choice.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 11-19-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #13
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmelter View Post
Yes I would also choose an SS1LE over the Supra, better handling and a great car for the $
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
CamOnlyJabroni

Drives: 19’ ZL1 A10 / 16’ C7Z M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I agree, M4 is a higher end car altogether though. The new M2 looks really good despite the initial reactions to it's styling, and costs is similar vs the Supra as well. Personally, I'd go M2 and if I had the cash, the '21 or '22 M2 CS.

The one thing holding me back from any modern BMW would be long term cost of ownership. Might be fun to lease, but I prefer to own and keep long term especially with ICE cars being phased out over the next 15 years or so.
I wouldn’t buy a BMW either. I wouldn’t ever go that route period. I own four different American V8’s for a reason. Have a pickup truck with a whipple on it that gets all the miles. Easy to maintain easy to work on if need be.
CamOnlyJabroni is offline   Reply With Quote