Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
Mavrick81

Drives: 2017 Prius, 2018 Armada
My emotional rollercoaster

I placed an order on a radiant red manual ZL1 with a local dealership in Washington back in August, but I haven't seen much movement out of it (and there are 3 other orders in front of mine), so I decided to look nationwide to see what was out there. As luck would have it I was able to find two that met my specs - one in Indiana, and the other in Virginia. The one in Virginia was a customer order so not available, but the one in Indiana was available with a current internet price of 69,890. After some back and forth collecting pictures and getting additional information on the car I let them know I wanted to proceed with the purchase. I then received an email from a different salesman stating that the sales prices would be 72,890. Perturbed by the blatant bait and switch as everything reflected MSRP, I pushed back and they ultimately settled at 71,000.

While waiting to finalize the purchase, I get a call back and they informed me that they will not be able to sell the Camaro to me as it is not WA state compliant. I did some research on my end (thanks to those who helped), and was able to locate documentation that showed that even though the car didn't have the correct RPO code, it was still compliant with WA emission regulations. Eventually they get back to me and say that management agrees and we can proceed with the sale.

At the same time, I receive an email from the Virginia dealer stating that it looks like the customer was backing out on the order and wanted to know if I was still interested at MSRP. Since this one had additional options that I wanted (carbon fiber hood insert, PDR), I said yes. They gave the guy until end of day Monday (they reached out to me on Saturday) to make a decision. On Monday I signed some documentation and gave them authorization to take a deposit to hold the car while we waited. Then on Tuesday morning, I get a text from the dealer that the customer has ultimately decided to go through with the purchase after all. This caught me off guard as all indication from the salesman were that they wouldn't be going through with it. I was pretty dejected at the news as I really thought it was a done deal.

Now back on Monday, I had received a call from the Indiana dealer informing me once again that they wouldn't be able to sell the car to me, but this time because of the brakes. I didn't think to much at the time as I was planning on going with the car in Virginia. Panicking at this point I again did more research on my end and was able to locate a post on the forum that included a service bulletin from GM stating that even though dealers in WA and CA could not order these types of cars, they could still be registered. I forward the information on to the dealer and they got back to me on Tuesday saying that they would sell it to me. Relieved to hear this, I told them I anted to proceed with the purchase. On Wednesday morning they let me know that they were working on the bill of sale. About an hour later I get another email which I assume is the bill of sale, but instead simply states that they are sorry, but they just sold the Camaro.

So just like that, in that span of two days, I went from having two options to none. All of this transpired over a two week period with numerous emails going back forth, lots of research being done on my end to make this work, and of course trying to figure out the logistics of getting the vehicles out to WA. All that time and energy sent for nothing.

At this point I am honestly pretty dejected and disheartened by the ordeal, and really the whole process of trying to get my car. The constant highs and lows I experienced thinking I had my car, than I didn't (over and over again) have really taken their toll on me. I am trying to stay positive and rationalize it as ultimately I am just trying to buy a toy, and I should be thankful that I am even in a position to do just that, but it still sucks. I am not hopeful that my order in WA will get picked up, and with the end of the Camaro near I am starting to resign myself to the fact that this just might not happen.

So there is my story. The luck of the Irish was clearly not with me. The dealer in Virginia did say they would place an order for me at MSRP with a $500 deposit, but they wouldn't be able to have it delivered locally so I would need to ship it. I am considering it, but I am not sure how likely they are to have another order picked up. If anyone can recommend a dealer nationwide that is likely to get an allocation and willing to sell at MSRP, I would appreciate it. At this point I am willing to ship the vehicle if necessary.

Thanks for listening. Oh, and Mike Anderson Chevy can go F' themselves.
Eric
Mavrick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I just waited out my order I never tried t pursue finding the car elsewhere for exactly this kind of situation.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #3
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Hopefully you are able to get into a Camaro soon. They are great cars.

Last edited by jamala00; 10-27-2022 at 01:29 PM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #4
Marty31

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
I would be as pissed off as you were brother.
Marty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
This is a very sad story, Mavrick81. Don't give up, though, keep pushing as the "game" isn't over just yet.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
tlr3715

Drives: 2002 Z28, 2023 1LT RS Redline
Feel your pain dude. Ordered a car in early Sept at $1000 over MSRP because the dealer said they had allocation and could expect my car in three months. After a month went by without so much as an order number I cancelled my order on 10/11. I have been fighting with them ever since to get my $500 deposit back.

Then I called around to every dealer in a 1000 mile radius. Only three of them were selling cars at MSRP.

I got lucky and found an in transit RS Redline edition nearby. Took deliver about two weeks ago at MSRP. Chevrolet 112 in NY is excellent and highly recommended. Bought a Silverado from them a week later at under MSRP.
tlr3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #7
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Sorry to hear about your experience OP. I'd like to try to help you out:

I don't know how things are now, as I ordered my car and took delivery before the COVID supply shortages hit. But I did a lot research prior to ordering, including finding dealers that tend to get Camaro allocations and then a multiple bid process across dealers in a 3 hour driving radius from me. The lowest price with someone I was comfortable with after email/phone exchanges was Scott Merritt at Hiester Chevrolet in Fuguay Varina, NC. Scott orders all their Vettes and Camaros. He was man of his word, no BS, 100% professional through the entire process. I received my car pretty much when he predicted I would from the start. If you are happy to restart the ordering process, I wouldn't hesitate to contact Scott and tell him I ("the guy in Cary, NC who he ordered and personally delivered a red 21 SS 1LE to") sent you.

Scott Merritt's contact info is:
919-552-4944
scott.merritt@hiesterautomotive.com
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I had a 21 on order, then a 22, finally got this 23 and the moment you get in it all that goes away, it was so worth it but there was a lot of pain getting there.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #9
vj123

Drives: 2023 ZL1
A friend of mine was in the market to buy a Giulia Quadrifoglio this summer and he had a similar experience with 4 different vehicles. It was disappointing but he eventually ended up buying one after several months of search and was worth the effort.

Hope you end up finding one soon.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:45 PM   #10
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick81 View Post
I placed an order on a radiant red manual ZL1 with a local dealership in Washington back in August, but I haven't seen much movement out of it (and there are 3 other orders in front of mine), so I decided to look nationwide to see what was out there. As luck would have it I was able to find two that met my specs - one in Indiana, and the other in Virginia. The one in Virginia was a customer order so not available, but the one in Indiana was available with a current internet price of 69,890. After some back and forth collecting pictures and getting additional information on the car I let them know I wanted to proceed with the purchase. I then received an email from a different salesman stating that the sales prices would be 72,890. Perturbed by the blatant bait and switch as everything reflected MSRP, I pushed back and they ultimately settled at 71,000.

While waiting to finalize the purchase, I get a call back and they informed me that they will not be able to sell the Camaro to me as it is not WA state compliant. I did some research on my end (thanks to those who helped), and was able to locate documentation that showed that even though the car didn't have the correct RPO code, it was still compliant with WA emission regulations. Eventually they get back to me and say that management agrees and we can proceed with the sale.

At the same time, I receive an email from the Virginia dealer stating that it looks like the customer was backing out on the order and wanted to know if I was still interested at MSRP. Since this one had additional options that I wanted (carbon fiber hood insert, PDR), I said yes. They gave the guy until end of day Monday (they reached out to me on Saturday) to make a decision. On Monday I signed some documentation and gave them authorization to take a deposit to hold the car while we waited. Then on Tuesday morning, I get a text from the dealer that the customer has ultimately decided to go through with the purchase after all. This caught me off guard as all indication from the salesman were that they wouldn't be going through with it. I was pretty dejected at the news as I really thought it was a done deal.

Now back on Monday, I had received a call from the Indiana dealer informing me once again that they wouldn't be able to sell the car to me, but this time because of the brakes. I didn't think to much at the time as I was planning on going with the car in Virginia. Panicking at this point I again did more research on my end and was able to locate a post on the forum that included a service bulletin from GM stating that even though dealers in WA and CA could not order these types of cars, they could still be registered. I forward the information on to the dealer and they got back to me on Tuesday saying that they would sell it to me. Relieved to hear this, I told them I anted to proceed with the purchase. On Wednesday morning they let me know that they were working on the bill of sale. About an hour later I get another email which I assume is the bill of sale, but instead simply states that they are sorry, but they just sold the Camaro.

So just like that, in that span of two days, I went from having two options to none. All of this transpired over a two week period with numerous emails going back forth, lots of research being done on my end to make this work, and of course trying to figure out the logistics of getting the vehicles out to WA. All that time and energy sent for nothing.

At this point I am honestly pretty dejected and disheartened by the ordeal, and really the whole process of trying to get my car. The constant highs and lows I experienced thinking I had my car, than I didn't (over and over again) have really taken their toll on me. I am trying to stay positive and rationalize it as ultimately I am just trying to buy a toy, and I should be thankful that I am even in a position to do just that, but it still sucks. I am not hopeful that my order in WA will get picked up, and with the end of the Camaro near I am starting to resign myself to the fact that this just might not happen.

So there is my story. The luck of the Irish was clearly not with me. The dealer in Virginia did say they would place an order for me at MSRP with a $500 deposit, but they wouldn't be able to have it delivered locally so I would need to ship it. I am considering it, but I am not sure how likely they are to have another order picked up. If anyone can recommend a dealer nationwide that is likely to get an allocation and willing to sell at MSRP, I would appreciate it. At this point I am willing to ship the vehicle if necessary.

Eric
Wow.

You get an A+ for effort brutha.

I really hope you get one the way you want.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:04 PM   #11
rbiehl

Drives: '23 ZL1 Riverside Blue M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick81 View Post

Eric
Maverick81,

See my post on the local dealer in St. Louis.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608593

They will accept GM discounts, have no addons, and they recieve allocations quickly as you can read on my thread. PM me and I can provide you some additional helpful details.

Richard

Sent from my SM-F936U using Tapatalk
rbiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:28 PM   #12
SS_Don

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS
That is a damn shame. I’d write a google review of the dealership since there is not much else you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS_Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:00 PM   #13
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Sorry to here, am I surprised NO , the same happened to me, We were still up in Washington, Renton, found a 19 2SS 1LE , here in Arizona, Chevrolet Dealership in Mesa , told salesman I want the car, how much deposit, he called me back , sold the car , told me the money was in front of him sorry. Called me back 2 days later,said the guys financing fell thru , oh well don't want the Car. Called back next day willing to deal 1k off, said no . I didn't tell him I found a new 22 2SS no 1LE . So moral of the story , something good always comes out of a bad situation. rbiehl might be the good thing , or if not keep looking
. Happy Motoring soon for you .

Last edited by JTS; 10-28-2022 at 09:36 AM.
JTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #14
Mavrick81

Drives: 2017 Prius, 2018 Armada
Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Now that I have had some time to digest the news, I am ready to move on from the bad experiences and continue my search. My first car in highschool was a V6 thirdgen that was nothing special, but it made an impression. Here I am 25 years later and ready to buy the last and best (IMO) iteration of the ICE Camaro before it is gone for good. It feels weird to get wrapped up emotionally in the purchase of a car, but than we all now how irrational humans can be at times.
Mavrick81 is offline   Reply With Quote