Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-27-2022, 01:36 AM   #15
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I believe it's more to do with driveline vs. the engine (LT1 crate engine break in process only says 500 miles). Camaros have limited slip diffs while Silverado's typically have locking diffs, and limited slip should need more time under varying load to prevent scoring/hum later in life. Expected use is probably a factor as well since Silverados likely aren't being flogged as hard as Camaros.
Most Camaros don’t get flogged hard at all. My 2014 Silverado when I got new, I was towing 8,500 pounds right off the lot when I picked it up. That thing had a heavy trailer on the back of it, it’s entire life and went well over 200k without an engine issue. My camaro I have romped on since day one and it is fine. IMO most Camaros are babied to death and Silverados are beat on because a lot of them are used as work vehicles. I bet less than 2% of Camaros actually see a track where you can actually beat on them.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #16
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
Most Camaros don’t get flogged hard at all. My 2014 Silverado when I got new, I was towing 8,500 pounds right off the lot when I picked it up. That thing had a heavy trailer on the back of it, it’s entire life and went well over 200k without an engine issue. My camaro I have romped on since day one and it is fine. IMO most Camaros are babied to death and Silverados are beat on because a lot of them are used as work vehicles. I bet less than 2% of Camaros actually see a track where you can actually beat on them.

Judging by the mileage on here and the Facebook groups I'm in people post about, I would say you are 100% correct in your assessment.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #17
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
The 1,500 miles is for the diff. And it's only applicable for the eLSD. If you don't have a SS 1LE/ZL1/ZLE, then I wouldn't worry about 1,500 miles.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #18
nos4you

Drives: Soon to have 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
The 1,500 miles is for the diff. And it's only applicable for the eLSD. If you don't have a SS 1LE/ZL1/ZLE, then I wouldn't worry about 1,500 miles.
So does the manual state to change the fluids again at 1500 or is everyone just doing it for good measure?
nos4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:49 AM   #19
tlr3715

Drives: 2002 Z28, 2023 1LT RS Redline
Did the Cadillac CTS have an available ELSD? It had the same 1500 brake in period suggestion.
tlr3715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #20
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
While that may be true, there are still some that do beat on them within the bounds of the warranty, and as such I'd still speculate that that's included in the blanket break-in procedure that covers all Camaros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Don't forget about the mLSD in the SS (and maybe the 4/6 cyl 1LE?) that would also want to do 1500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos4you View Post
So does the manual state to change the fluids again at 1500 or is everyone just doing it for good measure?
It gets a bit fuzzy between the owners manual that comes in all Camaros and the high-performance supplement that comes with the variants that are warrantied for track use. IIRC:

Engine oil is at 500 and 1500, then follow oil life monitor or change after some specified amount of track time (I want to say 10 hours but don't remember off the top of my head), whichever occurs first.

Diff fluid is 1500 miles (for xLSD types) then it depends on usage. If not tracking it, it's whatever the regular service interval is. If tracking it, it's a change again after the first track day then every 20 hrs I think, but again don't fully remember the exact number.

Trans fluid for MT doesn't have an initial break-in change recommendation that I can recall, but its service interval is different between street-only driving and track driving (I think this one was 24 hrs, but I may have this one flipped with the diff track time interval).

I'm not sure about AT trans fluid, but I'd guess it's somewhere in the ballpark of the MT intervals.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:13 PM   #21
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I believe it's more to do with driveline vs. the engine (LT1 crate engine break in process only says 500 miles). Camaros have limited slip diffs while Silverado's typically have locking diffs, and limited slip should need more time under varying load to prevent scoring/hum later in life. Expected use is probably a factor as well since Silverados likely aren't being flogged as hard as Camaros.
This.

They probably wrote the owner's manual break in procedure for the most break-in sensitive models (SS 1LE/ZL1 etc). If the lower level models don't require as much drive-line break in miles (I am not sure, given the particular hardware), GM probably didn't bother to discriminate in owners manual because they didn't want the hassle and a more conservative (longer than necessary?) break in for these models wouldn't do any harm.

Proceed as you like, but I'd try to follow the specified break in procedure as it's not rediculous. Go for some long drives for fun. You'll be there before you know it.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #22
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I dont recall exactly but never changed the diff fluid on my 1LE until in to the 30K mile range and it was a non-issue in the daily driver hard street use category. Ill probably change this ZL1 though just to do it before winter but I don't feel compelled to do anything else.
I made an 850 mile road trip that started with 4 miles on the clock and drove it normally the whole way, changed the oil at 1K and started banging on it.
My methods haven't failed me yet.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #23
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactownbwoy View Post
Judging by the mileage on here and the Facebook groups I'm in people post about, I would say you are 100% correct in your assessment.
Many may not flog their Camaros, but although my Camaro isn't my daily driver, when I do drive it I romp on it pretty hard. I certainly drive it a lot harder than I do my other vehicles (except for my Z which after 20 years I still drive it like I stole it). And that's what it's made for.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #24
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Back when the 5th gen ZL1's came out, they were the first cars that came with the 1500 mile break-in period, but nobody could tell us why.

One 'possibility' that we thought of was that the long break-in wasn't for the engine/drive train, or any other part of the car, it was so that the new owner would take the first 1500 miles to get used to the power and capabilities that this beast has, before they're allowed to put the hammer down and discover the full might of what they just bought.

Remember, this was back before it would be common place to have new cars with almost 600 hp and designed to take to the track while keeping a factory warranty.

Like i said, it was just one semi plausible reason for the long 1500 mile break-in period.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #25
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
C8 Corvettes limit the owner to4000rpm for 400 miles , then the dash changes and RPMs are not limited. My neighbor has one , well he moved 3 weeks ago. So I followed that for 400 miles then 5k RPMs til 800 and 5500 RPMs to 1k with my 22 SS , doing the same with ZL1, oil change 500 to 600 with Diff. I hope Happy Motoring