Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-23-2022, 06:06 AM   #1
Wintermute

Drives: 2020 LT1
Can someone explain hptuners process to me?

I mean, I get the basic nuts and bolts of it. I buy their obdii interface, hook it up to my cars port + wideband and create a data log. I guess then I find a remote tuner to hook me up with a tune and then flash it to the car? Do I need a laptop somewhere in there? Seems like newest interface from HPT saves the log to the device itself, which has Bluetooth. Do I need to wire my wideband to the obdii device? My AEM sensor came with an obd passthrough that supposedly can feed AFR data? I've looked on YouTube and most of the tutorials are just on how to make a data log. If anyone could fill me in on the details, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
My understanding is you would have to have a laptop to run the HPTuners software to data log, tune and flash the new tune from the tuner you use. I would ask HPTuners or I know some of the peeps like King will step in and give the answer you need.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
I mean, I get the basic nuts and bolts of it. I buy their obdii interface, hook it up to my cars port + wideband and create a data log. I guess then I find a remote tuner to hook me up with a tune and then flash it to the car? Do I need a laptop somewhere in there? Seems like newest interface from HPT saves the log to the device itself, which has Bluetooth. Do I need to wire my wideband to the obdii device? My AEM sensor came with an obd passthrough that supposedly can feed AFR data? I've looked on YouTube and most of the tutorials are just on how to make a data log. If anyone could fill me in on the details, I would appreciate it.

You got it, and YES, you will need a laptop.

Ted @ JRE did my remote street tuning.
It does take some time... I would say it took 5-6 data log sessions (a few of them were my fault in not having the proper AFR selected) when he tuned my 125 flex fuel package.

Overall the process was not hard, but it does take time.
Once you send the data log (need to follow his instructions perfectly) he would send back an updated file either the same day, or the next morning. Then when i had time, i would re-flash, and record another data log... a few a few adjustments the car is done.

It is a great resource for those who do not have access to a reputable local tuner.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:18 PM   #4
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
The only “wiring” you’ll need is to get power to your gauge, run wire from WB to gauge and plug in your pass through to your OBDII port. You’ll have to setup the gauge later in HPT.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote