Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-25-2022, 08:18 PM   #1
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
Pinging sounds from the undercarriage

I notice loud pinging coming from the undercarriage of the Camaro after I turn it off every time. Like sporadic pinging with seconds to minutes in between. I’m guessing it’s the exhaust expanding and contracting, but could it be the bracing too? Opening or closing the trunk can also cause a “ping”. I had a fifth Gen SS and never had any of these sounds. Hoping that someone could give me some insight in the sounds their convertible makes and if these ping noises are normal. Thanks.
Nate76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Can you get a recording of it for us to hear?

Short of that, I hear plenty of "metal against metal" sort of noises as my car cools off. Parking it in the garage amplifies the sounds to make them more noticeable.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:16 PM   #3
Nate76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Can you get a recording of it for us to hear?

Short of that, I hear plenty of "metal against metal" sort of noises as my car cools off. Parking it in the garage amplifies the sounds to make them more noticeable.
Shoot, I wouldn’t know how to add the sound. But the metal against metal sounds right. Like a metallic “tink” sound.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate76 View Post
Shoot, I wouldn’t know how to add the sound. But the metal against metal sounds right. Like a metallic “tink” sound.
Most likely just your exhaust cooling down and contracting...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
If you record it with your phone or similar, you could post it to YouTube and link it.

That "tink" sort of noise could describe what I hear from mine, and the noises that I hear from my car are definitely from the exhaust and related nearby parts cooling off. That V8 gets pretty hot as does the exhaust system...
Old 06-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
Nate76

Quote:
If you record it with your phone or similar, you could post it to YouTube and link it.

That "tink" sort of noise could describe what I hear from mine, and the noises that I hear from my car are definitely from the exhaust and related nearby parts cooling off. That V8 gets pretty hot as does the exhaust system...
Okay. Sounds like a plan. I’ll take a video next time I take it out. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Okay. Sounds like a plan. I’ll take a video next time I take it out. Thanks!
If the "ticks" start out being more frequent with shorter gaps in between and get further and further apart, then it's almost certainly the car cooling off.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:43 PM   #8
Nate76

Here’s the sound. I got one ‘ting’ in the five second video. Almost reminds me of a spring noise.
https://youtu.be/eOPQQqHIFDs
Old 06-27-2022, 12:16 AM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Here’s the sound. I got one ‘ting’ in the five second video. Almost reminds me of a spring noise.
Ok, my exhaust cooling sounds are much more "tinny" sounding, like sheet metal contracting...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:06 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Not quite the same as what I've heard from mine, but it's hard to guess based on just one occurrence of the sound.

Have you gotten under the car at all to investigate? Is there a possibility of driving the car, then parking it in the garage on ramps or similar so you can try and seek out a more specific location for the sound by checking underneath while it's happening?
Old 06-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #11
Nate76

Quote:
Not quite the same as what I've heard from mine, but it's hard to guess based on just one occurrence of the sound.

Have you gotten under the car at all to investigate? Is there a possibility of driving the car, then parking it in the garage on ramps or similar so you can try and seek out a more specific location for the sound by checking underneath while it's happening?
I notice it happens on its own but I can usually make it make the noise after the car has been turned off by opening and closing the trunk or door. I’ve got an oil change coming up, I’ll have them look at it I guess as it doesn’t seem like anyone else is having this noise.