Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-21-2023, 07:11 AM   #29
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
A few months ago GM sent me a questionnaire about buying an EV. After the first question, " would you buy an EV", I answered no. At that point the questionnaire closed and dropped. How many others were sent that questionnaire and answered the same may have poured cold water on their all EV lineup for now.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:28 AM   #30
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
A few months ago GM sent me a questionnaire about buying an EV. After the first question, " would you buy an EV", I answered no. At that point the questionnaire closed and dropped. How many others were sent that questionnaire and answered the same may have poured cold water on their all EV lineup for now.
Same here. I got the survey and answered No as well.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:52 AM   #31
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
F**k no to dohcs.
I'm holding a glimmer of hope they'll make a killer v6.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:22 AM   #32
rst08tierney
Account Suspended

Drives: '23 2SS Rapid Blue
if they want to not have problems in california again (one of gm's biggest markets) they need to go EV unless the state falls into the pacific ocean. Personally ill take option #2
rst08tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:40 AM   #33
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post

I got one of those surveys and answered no too.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #34
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'd guess that GM fielded that survey to help them decide whether it's worth it to produce an electric version of the Camaro (a high performance car, not some SUV that is rebadged with the Camaro name like Ford did with the Mach E mustang).

I doubt they will continue to invest in future high performance ICE powered cars. We enthusiasts and track rats are unfortunately the minority of automobile buyers. So my bet is in the future, we'll either be forced to buy a high performance EV or an EV SUV.

Sucks for us, as I love the sound and rumble of the V8, and I don't see an EV ever really being able to replace that. Manufacturers will figure out how to make some EVs that corner well, but going around a track in silence won't be the same as it is right now, with roar of the LT1 while working the M6 into and out of corners!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:02 PM   #35
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
The V8 will still exist in trucks and maybe the Mustang after this Mustang gen. Thank the Pickup truck crowd at least we can still have V8s to drop in things from them not budging and complying to EV. Some will but from what I have seen a lot won't.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:27 AM   #36
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
The future is EV!*

*Over the next 30 years, not the next 10 years, and it depends on advancements in battery tech.
30 years! The oceans are boiling now according to Al Gore.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:29 PM   #37
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
30 years! The oceans are boiling now according to Al Gore.

...600,000 Hiroshima bombs going off every day!!

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...ombs-every-day
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #38
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
I hope this is a clear sign GM is scaling back the pure EV commitment we have seen of late

https://apple.news/AXAFqEQt2Tfeb3KU3RY6jig

Not sure you will all get routed correctly with the link due to it being apple news, so if the link doesn’t work just google CNBC article about GM investing 1B in 4 plants and 579mil of that is going towards new v-8 small block tech at the flint plant!! too early to celebrate?!?
Probably not. These engines are focused on trucks and align with increased emissions regulations on light commercial vehicles coming into play from 2026 on. Part of GM’s commercial pickup volume is built in Flint and these engines will simply ship cross town.

GM is experiencing delays in getting their EVs out the door, but I don’t see them changing course.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Other car manufactures are already scaling back on their big EV plans... Doesn't surprise me at all. They are only seeing what so many of us have been saying for a long time now.
Serious question…which ones? I follow this sector intensely and I’m seeing just the opposite. Even Toyota recently publicly announced that they are shifting strategy to more not less EV.

There are some (GM) who may have to slow their intended pace of introduction, but none of them have said so publicly.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 01-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #40
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Exactly, however this may point to a split company model of gmEV and gmICE development wings. This may allow for better focus on any given project under the smaller umbrellas.

The elephant in the room is whether or not this may lead to a gen7 ICE Camaro or if aforementioned engines will simply be used in the full size trucks and possibly Corvette.
There’s a lot of time between 2023 and 2035. GM still has to make money in that 12 year timeframe. A lot of that money comes from trucks. Actually most of that money comes from trucks. And there are competitive and regulatory challenges coming down the pike if GM intends to continue to make money from trucks. These engines are required to keep GM in the game in the interim as the transition takes place.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:02 PM   #41
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Surprised to see Gen VI development. That being said I thought someone from GM already started backtracking that at least their trucks probably won’t be EV only by 2035.

To the DOHC speculation, I’m not sure I see that happening. I can’t see them investing enough to make the switch from pushrod OVH to DOHC unless they think we are at least 20+ years away from trucks being EV only. Also I doubt the Gen VI engines will go in anything else besides trucks and possibly the corvette. I don’t believe GM gives a rats *** about the Camaro. Sucks but if I was an exec at GM I wouldn’t care about a model that only sold 25k units last year either.
GM’s position has always maintained a hedge for commercial trucks. GM committed that all passenger vehicles would be zero emissions by 2035. They did not say one way or the other in regards to commercial vehicles.

They later acknowledged that they are working on commercial EV (Silverado EV Work Truck) as well as Class 3 & 4 commercial vehicles, but did not say that they would exclusively do EV commercial.

Old 01-22-2023, 03:37 PM   #42
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
The transition to EVs will be gradual, so it makes sense to invest in ICE technology during that transition.

And I see we have the usual I-personally-don't-like-EVs-so-they-just-won't-work illogical leap into industry wide failure. Human smarts and ingenuity don't suddenly disappear because YOU don't like the technology. If there's money to be made, and there is, the issues will get figured out.

That is the history of technological progress, notwithstanding the defeatist attitude of the naysayers. Same luddites, different century.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote