Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have longtubes and exhaust with cats and its loud but not stupid retarded loud unless im in track mode and wot lol
Old 08-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #16
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
I have a couple threads on this asking exactly this...
I have Kooks 2" LT's, cat del. Originally left the stock NPP in effort to have best of both worlds. Low speed quiet but sucked for reasons you guys listed. I then went to a CORSA axle back. Got rid of the tinny blat, but still loud as hell to me (obviously a subjective term).

Trying to find a shop to weld in the Borla resonator like someone listed above. Wanting to take bite out of startup insanity and WOT. Hoping to add a bit of deeper tone too, but most say give that up. The LT4 is just a higher pitched beast.

A couple other resonators that were recommended were Vibrant and Solo...
Hard to know what to try. Guess threads like this!

Looking to get mine done in next few weeks. Will post-up how i like.
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #17
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimabe View Post
I have a couple threads on this asking exactly this...
I have Kooks 2" LT's, cat del. Originally left the stock NPP in effort to have best of both worlds. Low speed quiet but sucked for reasons you guys listed. I then went to a CORSA axle back. Got rid of the tinny blat, but still loud as hell to me (obviously a subjective term).

Trying to find a shop to weld in the Borla resonator like someone listed above. Wanting to take bite out of startup insanity and WOT. Hoping to add a bit of deeper tone too, but most say give that up. The LT4 is just a higher pitched beast.

A couple other resonators that were recommended were Vibrant and Solo...
Hard to know what to try. Guess threads like this!

Looking to get mine done in next few weeks. Will post-up how i like.
Which Borla resonator do you speak of?
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #18
Jimabe

Drives: 2018 Red ZL1
Borla part# 60608. It's on their website.
Jimabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #19
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
FWIW- I finally added some Vibrant 1794 12" resonators where the cats would go and they made a huge difference. Car went from sounding like it was broken to having a very good exhaust note (stock note, but louder...almost zero rasp). I'm very happy with these resonators and they fit great.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #20
barnesbr

Drives: 2018 ZL1 10 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
FWIW- I finally added some Vibrant 1794 12" resonators where the cats would go and they made a huge difference. Car went from sounding like it was broken to having a very good exhaust note (stock note, but louder...almost zero rasp). I'm very happy with these resonators and they fit great.

Reviving and old thread, sorry. I just installed Kooks LT’s into my stock NPP and absolutely hate the way it sounds 80% of the time. Cold starts make the whole neighborhood jump out of their beds and the NPP valve rattle sounds terrible. Would these resonators have any affect on a tune? Are you still happy with your decision?
2018 Summit White ZL1, A10, Navi, LPO Carbon fuel door, LPO floor mats, Carbon hood scoop, Kooks LT’s, Lingenfeltor 720HP Kit, Roto-Fab CAI, 1LE tail lights/3rd brake light, tinted side markers, ZL1 addons lift pads, 15 % tint. 642HP/664TQ

Sold: 2010 RS, Auto, Cyber Grey Metallic, Leather, Navi, Sunroof, HUD.

Sold: 2012 1SS LS3 Vert, 6-speed Manual, Inferno Orange Metallic, Borla Catback, CAI intake, Skip shift eliminator.
barnesbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #21
GT-ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesbr View Post
Reviving and old thread, sorry. I just installed Kooks LT’s into my stock NPP and absolutely hate the way it sounds 80% of the time. Cold starts make the whole neighborhood jump out of their beds and the NPP valve rattle sounds terrible. Would these resonators have any affect on a tune? Are you still happy with your decision?
I am still happy with my decision, they didn't quiet down the exhaust but rather toned it down eliminating a lot of raspiness. I am going to install a resonated/touring AWE cat back in a couple of weeks just cause I really like that cat back, but I like how mine sounds right now.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #22
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Lol! So good to know I’m not alone with this. Personally I don’t mind the sound except on start up especially in the morning. It is so damn crazy loud that I’m sure I’m going to get a complaint soon. It rattles like crazy on start up which I do not like at all but other than that I’m keeping it as is for now bc I don’t want to sacrifice power.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #23
barnesbr

Drives: 2018 ZL1 10 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
I am still happy with my decision, they didn't quiet down the exhaust but rather toned it down eliminating a lot of raspiness. I am going to install a resonated/touring AWE cat back in a couple of weeks just cause I really like that cat back, but I like how mine sounds right now.
Did you clamp the resonators or weld them. One of the connection pipes from kooks is angled, so how did the straight resonators line up?
2018 Summit White ZL1, A10, Navi, LPO Carbon fuel door, LPO floor mats, Carbon hood scoop, Kooks LT’s, Lingenfeltor 720HP Kit, Roto-Fab CAI, 1LE tail lights/3rd brake light, tinted side markers, ZL1 addons lift pads, 15 % tint. 642HP/664TQ

Sold: 2010 RS, Auto, Cyber Grey Metallic, Leather, Navi, Sunroof, HUD.

Sold: 2012 1SS LS3 Vert, 6-speed Manual, Inferno Orange Metallic, Borla Catback, CAI intake, Skip shift eliminator.
barnesbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #24
GT-ER

Quote:
Did you clamp the resonators or weld them. One of the connection pipes from kooks is angled, so how did the straight resonators line up?
I clamped it. It's not 100% straight and it does leak after a while (clamps will seal it until the engine moves for a while and starts to undo them because, as you stated, they aren't 100% straight). I get a ticking from underneath the car every now and them. It sucks.

My bigger issue is that no exhaust shop near me will touch a catless car so I had to do it myself. I'm honestly thinking about going with the AWE exhaust though and may even install cats since an exhaust shop will have to make extensions to have the AWE exhaust fit my long tubes. We'll see.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #25
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlhay2 View Post
When I eventually install cat-less long tube headers I intend to run dual x-pipes into the stock muffler to quell the extra noise.
What do you think the dual x pipe will achieve vs the single?
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #26
mcr98

Drives: 2018 camaro 2ss redline
the resonators wont be needed or help your problem the magnaflow in the middle of the car will fix the problem I did exactly what your doing and it changed from a fart can sounding honda to a deeper muscle car sound and in stealth was pretty tame
mcr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #27
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
I'm considering adding 2 resonators where the stock cats were, and also a Magnaflow "2 into 2" dual inlet/ outlet muffler in the rear, just before the rear differential. I had done this with my SS sedan and it's the only way in hell to make things civil when using longtubes, even with the stock NPP system.

I did the exact same thing on my 5th gens. I still have a 5th gen NPP setup still in my shed. LS and LT engines sound tinny, boomy, and raspy to me with LTs. Not planning on LTs on the ZL1. And you don't need LTs to build a 10 second A10 ZL1. So why bother with LTs?

So I think it is a good idea, but I also think that Magnaflow resonator is only 2.5", so it is too small for the Gen 6 V8s.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #28
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I did the exact same thing on my 5th gens. I still have a 5th gen NPP setup still in my shed. LS and LT engines sound tinny, boomy, and raspy to me with LTs. Not planning on LTs on the ZL1. And you don't need LTs to build a 10 second A10 ZL1. So why bother with LTs?

So I think it is a good idea, but I also think that Magnaflow resonator is only 2.5", so it is too small for the Gen 6 V8s.
2.5" is fine that far down the exhaust stream. I doubt the restriction is worth more than 10rwhp and that would be a very small price to pay indeed for sanity to get rid of the coffee can sounding exhaust that longtubes + NPP gives. The startup fart can is just atrocious.
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote