Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #57
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
But 103db.....right? Not 90db? Hope so as I'd like to drive NCM someday.

I never had any problems with 103db limit (RoadAmerica/Road Atlanta/etc.), even with my FFR GTM with the 675HP, Kooks Headers, No Cats, No resonators.

90db would be a problem, and I think that is the limit at Laguna, correct?
Yes, 103 and you had to have some sort of muffler.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #58
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yes, 103 and you had to have some sort of muffler.
Well Mike.....nope.....no muffler. I'm kinda happy this came up on this thread as it caused me to look at some old GTM videos and I just now loaded this one up on YouTube. Brought back some very fond memories. I might need to get the GTM out for a spin yet this fall!

https://youtu.be/7jWKOpnoFJQ

It was the day I had the LS7 Dyno Tuned. Even with the camera/microphone in my phone I'm guessing you can tell that it had no mufflers. I had earplugs in and a stocking hat on and I only took a couple of quick videos before I had to also put my hands over my ears. BTW...it did 550HP at the tires NA on a conservative tune.

Now, I don't know if it was > 103db, but, I never got black flagged for sound at either RoadAmerica or Road Atlanta. Probably 10 days at each track with this car. Maybe they didn't have the monitors set up, maybe they looked the other way, but never had a problem.

The ZLE is loud with the current AWE set-up, but not as loud as the GTM was, so I am counting on being ok at 103db tracks. I'll know in four weeks when I make it to Road Atlanta.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #59
COmatt27

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Would the track system on an SS be too loud for normal driving around town? I am sure there are dB limits in cities, etc. I just bought the track system and it was delivered this week (axle-back) and now I am reconsidering if I should have done the touring... Any thoughts or recommendations? Is the track reconfigurable with two mufflers?
2016 Escalade ESV (6.2L), A8, Black Raven, Gibson Racing Headers - CURRENT People Mover
COmatt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #60
Josh/AWE

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmatt27 View Post
Would the track system on an SS be too loud for normal driving around town? I am sure there are dB limits in cities, etc. I just bought the track system and it was delivered this week (axle-back) and now I am reconsidering if I should have done the touring... Any thoughts or recommendations? Is the track reconfigurable with two mufflers?
It will be rowdy, indeed. If you're concerned with comfort within the cabin, go with the Touring Edition. The ABEs will be a bit more aggressive than our CBEs given our x-pipe featured in the CBE smooths is out quite a bit.

If you've already installed it, you can always upgrade to the full system and opt for the resonated mid pipes if you feel you need to soften it up a bit.
Josh/AWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #61
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Will the link pipes effect the car passing an e-check by chance...if you know? I still don't know why our cars have 4 cats but by keeping the primary it should be good right?
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #62
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Getting rid of the secondary cats should not be a problem during emission testing. I changed mine about one month ago to the track edition, non resonated with performance link pipes and I could not be happier. Loud and aggressive......YES Drone...…..YES
Neither of which bother me one bit!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #63
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Getting rid of the secondary cats should not be a problem during emission testing. I changed mine about one month ago to the track edition, non resonated with performance link pipes and I could not be happier. Loud and aggressive......YES Drone...…..YES
Neither of which bother me one bit!
Very encouraging to hear. I could care less about drone and I want the loudest possible. I'll be looking into ordering it for my SS.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #64
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Gonna be very happy! Put a smile on your face every time you start it!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:58 AM   #65
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out the best system while saving a few dollars in the process. I have a 17 ZL1 6mt with a Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body (OEM size), and an AWE Touring catback exhaust without a resonator. I plan on buying Kooks 1 7/8 headers, along with a universal 3" Green Cats (about half the cost of a Green Cat that is made to fit the headers), BBK catch can, spark plugs and wires. Question here is sound! I know the car will be loud, I'm just trying to make the loudness tolerable. The Touring AWE exhaust sounds excellent! How much difference will it make to buy the AWE resonators? This step is a costly one. I'm trying to cut where I can, especially since I'll be paying to install all these parts, get a dyno tune, and probably add a flex fuel kit. I have 17k miles on my car. Do I need the new NGK spark plugs and Taylor wires? Do I need a catch can on an LT4 that essentially has something similar to a catch can? Will the AWE resonators really cut noticeable sound when installing catted headers to my catback? These are the questions... Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5

Last edited by TEST DRyVer; 09-13-2020 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Added info
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #66
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm trying to figure out the best system while saving a few dollars in the process. I have a 17 ZL1 6mt with a Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body (OEM size), and an AWE Touring catback exhaust without a resonator. I plan on buying Kooks 1 7/8 headers, along with a universal 3" Green Cats (about half the cost of a Green Cat that is made to fit the headers), BBK catch can, spark plugs and wires. Question here is sound! I know the car will be loud, I'm just trying to make the loudness tolerable. The Touring AWE exhaust sounds excellent! How much difference will it make to buy the AWE resonators? This step is a costly one. I'm trying to cut where I can, especially since I'll be paying to install all these parts, get a dyno tune, and probably add a flex fuel kit. I have 17k miles on my car. Do I need the new NGK spark plugs and Taylor wires? Do I need a catch can on an LT4 that essentially has something similar to a catch can? Will the AWE resonators really cut noticeable sound when installing catted headers to my catback? These are the questions... Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!
I did the AWE Touring axleback first and it was quite loud. I was also wanting to get rid of the OEM crimped pipe section so I bought and installed the resonated midpipe Section next. For the first week or so it was noticeably quieter with the resonators. After about a week I took the car to the track and (obviously) ran the car thru numerous heat cycles. This seemed to “burn in” the resonators and they got quite a bit louder. I’d say overall the car just a few decibels quieter now than it was before the resonators were installed. Just enough to take the edge off the volume. It has a deep sound without any rasp or drone. I’m happy with it now.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:41 PM   #67
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I did the AWE Touring axleback first and it was quite loud. I was also wanting to get rid of the OEM crimped pipe section so I bought and installed the resonated midpipe Section next. For the first week or so it was noticeably quieter with the resonators. After about a week I took the car to the track and (obviously) ran the car thru numerous heat cycles. This seemed to “burn in” the resonators and they got quite a bit louder. I’d say overall the car just a few decibels quieter now than it was before the resonators were installed. Just enough to take the edge off the volume. It has a deep sound without any rasp or drone. I’m happy with it now.
I appreciate the response!

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:13 AM   #68
Richiefcknrich

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Thought I'd start a thread with actual install, results, impressions on the new AWE Exhaust for the 2016+ Camaro SS/ZL1 - sounds like a number of forum members have them on the way and/or being installed. Might be a good way to compare the various options and combinations - and impressions - as they hit the street (or track!)

I went with the Track Edition / Non-Resonated / Chrome Tips and added the Performance Link Pipes (Secondary Catalyst Delete Kit). My car is almost exclusively track use and I wanted it loud. If I do headers over the winter I may add the resonated mid-pipes to tone it down a bit. Maybe.

Here was my install, results and impressions:

1. Ordered from Phastek on a Tuesday at around 2PM. The system arrived on my driveway at around 5PM that Thursday. Wow. Love it when that happens.

2. Everything is packaged and protected really well. Particularly the Tips. Classy way to package these babies! Kudos to AWE.

3. Removal of the stock system is really easy (at least with a lift - not sure I'd tackle this without one). Only slight curveball is that you need to cut the OEM bracket that secures the driver's side clamp just behind the primary cat & O2 sensor. Fairly soft metal and pretty easy to cut off with a dremel tool and cutting wheel. All the rest of the removal - including sliding it out the back of the car in one whole section - was really simple. Like my wife and I handled it.....she's a trooper, I'm blessed.

4. When you get the OEM system laid out next to the AWE System you can tell just how lousy the OEM system is from a flow perspective. I've heard all the chatter on the crushed section not impacting flow/performance........I just don't buy it. I mean it is REALLY crushed down.

5. Install of the AWE System was really smooth. I've done a lot of projects on my track cars over the years and this was one of the most fun and rewarding I can remember. Everything goes together perfectly, really high quality tubing, clamps, tips - perfect. Fun to work on your car when the parts are this good.

6. Aligning the tips exactly the way you want them is also very easy. I went for a bit more poke to get the AWE emblems showing and to show off these fantastic tips. Lots of adjustment is available. Really well done.

7. Some cool details too like the engraved bridge between the two pipes behind the rear differential and the serial # pad on the driver pipe just ahead of the tips. Stuff like this just makes you smile and reminds you that AWE takes pride in their work.

8. Ok.....what it's all about....how does it sound? Badass! Yes, it is really loud - but not obnoxious - just old school muscle loud. Sounds pissed off at idle and ready to run. Here is the link to the first cold start. I had hoped to have some drive-by videos under WOT by now, but the weather has not cooperated. When I can get some I'll post them on this thread. As we all know a phone video does not do any exhaust clip justice, but I hope that this gives you some idea. After the video clip I attached all the pics I referenced.

9. One last thing....OEM system weighed in at 80.5lbs and the AWE System was 56.6lbs for a weight savings of 23.9lbs.

Hope this is helpful/useful for those considering an aftermarket exhaust upgrade. I can HIGHLY recommend AWE!!

https://youtu.be/XxPzNRgLaqA

Attachment 960374

Attachment 960386

Attachment 960387

Attachment 960388

Attachment 960389

Attachment 960390

Attachment 960391

Attachment 960392

Attachment 960393

Attachment 960394

Attachment 960395

Attachment 960396

Attachment 960397
Did you use a gasket here or the past sealer that comes with the kit?
Attached Images

Richiefcknrich is offline   Reply With Quote