Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Possible sporadic issues in 1st Gear / V6 1LT A8

This has been on-going for awhile but mostly remained unnoticeable until recently.. now its fairly noticeable although it still doesn't always do it. What happens is when I am accelerating usually from a dead stop, just casually.. the car seems like it doesn't want to let go of 1st gear and it will keep revving up until it just slams itself into second gear at low speeds. This is with light to moderate acceleration. Other times it will just shift normally like nothing was ever wrong. Its going to be hard showing this to a dealer since the issue isn't consistent. Anyone else experience this and maybe this isnt really an issue?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Another potential A8 issue.....how high does it rev before it shifts? I noticed mine does rev higher in 1st gear in very light acceleration and will rev 2500-3K. Then second to third- it will shift at a very low 2K RPM- is this what yours is doing? Mine does not seem to "slam" into second gear though. I have other issues with my trans slipping in 7th and 8th gear at cruising speeds- the RPM's go up and down. Those of you that got the manual- wow you made a good decision.....
Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Dayum , sorry you guys are having issues , my 2017 ( 50th ) 1SS shifts pretty good and no complaints.
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This has been on-going for awhile but mostly remained unnoticeable until recently.. now its fairly noticeable although it still doesn't always do it. What happens is when I am accelerating usually from a dead stop, just casually.. the car seems like it doesn't want to let go of 1st gear and it will keep revving up until it just slams itself into second gear at low speeds. This is with light to moderate acceleration. Other times it will just shift normally like nothing was ever wrong. Its going to be hard showing this to a dealer since the issue isn't consistent. Anyone else experience this and maybe this isnt really an issue?
Sounds like a common problem... mine does the same thing from time to time (especially when the tranny is cold)It’s both embarrasing / frustrating. It started at about 1500 miles...I’m at 5000 and the car is now stored for winter.. not certain if a tune or tranny flush would help...seems to be the never ending question(s)with these A8’s. As long as I don’t get stranded, I’ll live with it until it becomes a more consistent issue.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #5
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Another potential A8 issue.....how high does it rev before it shifts? I noticed mine does rev higher in 1st gear in very light acceleration and will rev 2500-3K. Then second to third- it will shift at a very low 2K RPM- is this what yours is doing? Mine does not seem to "slam" into second gear though. I have other issues with my trans slipping in 7th and 8th gear at cruising speeds- the RPM's go up and down. Those of you that got the manual- wow you made a good decision.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Sounds like a common problem... mine does the same thing from time to time (especially when the tranny is cold)It’s both embarrasing / frustrating. It started at about 1500 miles...I’m at 5000 and the car is now stored for winter.. not certain if a tune or tranny flush would help...seems to be the never ending question(s)with these A8’s. As long as I don’t get stranded, I’ll live with it until it becomes a more consistent issue.
Does it sound like something I will need to be worried about / pending transmission failure -- something I need to visit the dealer for? or should I be okay?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I suggest you take it in to the dealer. It sounds like another symptom of the torque converter problem. It won't improve over time. I would let them diagnose and fix it now rather than wait. I had similar problems with my SS and they drained and refilled the fluid. It's much better now.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:57 AM   #7
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I suggest you take it in to the dealer. It sounds like another symptom of the torque converter problem. It won't improve over time. I would let them diagnose and fix it now rather than wait. I had similar problems with my SS and they drained and refilled the fluid. It's much better now.
It's reassuring to know that with a tranny flush the issues may go away. I have read that GM did not put the correct fluid or there might be a special additive. I am worried long term about the A8 and it's reliability and now as a result I won't keep the car long term. It's too bad as I bought the car to be my daily driver and replace/sell my WRX, now I changed my mind and will keep the WRX instead- I have had it 1.5 years and no problems at all.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
kkriskal

Drives: 2018 2SS Triple Black Performance
I had a 2016 1SS purchased new during December 2015, it did same jerk from 1st to 2nd when we are feathering the throttle, like literally babying it since it is cold and didn't want to strain the engine and stuff. I took it to the dealer several times and they said they couldn't replicate it or everything was fine. I love to drive so made a lot of long trips, Orlando, Portland, DC, Arizona, Oklahoma, Dallas, pikes peak etc. so had 75000 miles on the 2016 baby and it still did the same behavior of the jerk here and there so it is proven to run. Just regular maintenance, Mobil 1 every 3 to 4 K, tires, brakes, tranny flush twice 30k and 60K, fuel additive every 5K miles, engine additive with every oil change and that's it. The only pain with my ownership of that 2016 was countless windshield replacements, I changed the windshield like 8 times and I am very careful in giving lot of space between me and the vehicle in front but I still managed to destroy so many windshield due to all the long trips. I am sharing this experience because JT58 was worried about long term ownership so don't be worried, it might Not be refined but it runs, just make sure you do all the maintenance work on or ahead of the schedule.

Now just 3 weeks back, I traded that in and got a 2018 2SS, believe it or not, this one does the exact same thing with the transmission during shift from 1st to 2nd so I guess that is a normal behavior of this transmission since it has the same behavior even in the 2 year later model. Just my thought, I am Not an expert or technician so just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by kkriskal; 01-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
kkriskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 AM   #9
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkriskal View Post
I had a 2016 1SS purchased new during December 2015, it did same jerk from 1st to 2nd when we are feathering the throttle, like literally babying it since it is cold and didn't want to strain the engine and stuff. I took it to the dealer several times and they said they couldn't replicate it or everything was fine. I love to drive so made a lot of long trips, Orlando, Portland, DC, Arizona, Oklahoma, Dallas, pikes peak etc. so had 75000 miles on the 2016 baby and it still did the same behavior of the jerk here and there so it is proven to run. Just regular maintenance, Mobil 1 every 3 to 4 K, tires, brakes, tranny flush twice 30k and 60K, fuel additive every 5K miles, engine additive with every oil change and that's it. The only pain with my ownership of that 2016 was countless windshield replacements, I changed the windshield like 8 times and I am very careful in giving lot of space between me and the vehicle in front but I still managed to destroy so many windshield due to all the long trips. I am sharing this experience because JT58 was worried about long term ownership so don't be worried, it might Not be refined but it runs, just make sure you do all the maintenance work on or ahead of the schedule.

Now just 3 weeks back, I traded that in and got a 2018 2SS, believe it or not, this one does the exact same thing with the transmission during shift from 1st to 2nd so I guess that is a normal behavior of this transmission since it has the same behavior even in the 2 year later model. Just my thought, I am Not an expert or technician so just wanted to share my experience.
This is good to know. It must be something to do with the tune or something. I just want to make sure she isnt getting ready to grenade.

But holy crap thats alot of windshield replacements. So far I only have 1 rock chip.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Need4Camaro

Hi guys. I wanted to post an update. I took my car in regarding this issue and there appears to be a TSB about it. They re-flashed the TCM and so far it seems to be well. You all may want to get this looked into if your car is doing this as well since there is a TSB.

Attached the diagnosis
Attached Images