Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
waderl1

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro V6
Bought a 2016 A8 Camaro with shudder, got it flushed, it’s barely there now. Advice?

Hey! So this is my first Camaro (and my first car that isn’t 10+ years old) and I’m absolutely in love with it… other than the shudder issues. Looking back, I noticed it during the test drive but thought I was being paranoid and it wasn’t happening while shifting gears like I expected the shudder to be happening, so I went ahead with buying it.

I bring it into the shop 3 days after purchasing it (about 3 weeks ago now), they do the flush, I get it back and the shudder is drastically better. I’ve since driven it another 1,500 miles and there’s still a little shudder but it’s hard to reproduce. It happens maybe twice in 45 min of highway driving. However what’s more annoying is the occasional hard shifting in lower gears. Shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear are consistently both noticeably more rough than 4-8 and sometimes any low gear shift will just rock the car. Is the marginally harder shifting to 2nd and 3rd normal for this car? I feel like it’s not. I know the occasional very hard shifting isn’t but that doesn’t happen very often.

From your experiences with getting this issue serviced, are the current symptoms I’ve described going to be enough for the dealer to fix it now, or do I need to wait until the symptoms (from I’ve read, inevitably will) become more noticeable? I did pay extra for the 36k mile/3 year warranty so I have some time. But the dealership I have to go to is 2 hours away and I’ll have to take a day off of work while they diagnose and determine there is an actual problem before I get a loaner car. Really hoping they just put a new TC in it instead of trying to buy time with another flush.

Thanks for reading and input you have!
waderl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Very possible the torque converter is damaged at this point. Mine was, and they replaced it when they did the latest fluid and flush procedure
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #3
waderl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Very possible the torque converter is damaged at this point. Mine was, and they replaced it when they did the latest fluid and flush procedure
Honestly I’d be shocked if it wasn’t. The shudder was bad, easily felt by the passenger before the flush given the right conditions, it really shook the car. So you’re saying the dealership didn’t just try to flush it before a TC replacement? It was bad enough that they went ahead and replaced it?
Old 04-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #4
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
If the shudder is not very noticeable now, your dealership may have trouble getting warranty approval to replace the torque converter. I got my shudder fixed and fortunately it's gone but I know another owner who had to go through two flushes before getting a warranty TC replacement...
Old 04-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by waderl1 View Post
Honestly I’d be shocked if it wasn’t. The shudder was bad, easily felt by the passenger before the flush given the right conditions, it really shook the car. So you’re saying the dealership didn’t just try to flush it before a TC replacement? It was bad enough that they went ahead and replaced it?
Yep thats exactly what they did. You are completely out of warranty I assume?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #6
waderl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudda*Termite View Post
If the shudder is not very noticeable now, your dealership may have trouble getting warranty approval to replace the torque converter. I got my shudder fixed and fortunately it's gone but I know another owner who had to go through two flushes before getting a warranty TC replacement...
I’m not expecting them to feel the shudder it happens so infrequently, I’d be betting on them feeling the rough shifting, but I’m not sure if that would warrant repair. I think I’m gonna take the day off to get it checked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Yep thats exactly what they did. You are completely out of warranty I assume?
I bought the 3 year/36k mile extended warranty with the car thankfully, gives me much more peace of mind with this issue