Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-05-2021, 10:48 PM   #1
amboy49

Drives: Beginning a search to buy
Ceramic coating

I have been getting pop up ads on Facebook for ceramic coating. Wondering if if I should consider applying to my 2013 SS Vert. Hoping folks can weigh in with effectiveness, value, benefit (?)

Thanks in advance
amboy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Numerous threads here about it. I have it on all my vehicles.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:52 PM   #3
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
I was disappointed. Didn’t use the right one?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:32 AM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
no coating is created equal.

With ceramic coating like everything else with detailing.... prep work is everything. The more prep you do (wash/clay bar/polish/coating prep) the better the coating will adhere and give you more of that wet look and hydrophobic property.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
They are not created equal. The $30 is not as good as the $80. And the $80 one is no where as good as the $200 bottle.

But with enough prep work - wash, clay, compound the $30 one will shine pretty good and last about 6 months.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:05 AM   #6
ex-SS-ve

I just spent 3 days correcting and prepping the paint for the coating. It is worth every penny spent with a proper installer. Ive seen too many bad jobs done by fly by night detailers where i always thought “ i could do a better job”. Happy i did it myself.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
There’s an Adam’s kit offered with new GM cars. Must be a good one right?
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
They are not created equal. The $30 is not as good as the $80. And the $80 one is no where as good as the $200 bottle.

But with enough prep work - wash, clay, compound the $30 one will shine pretty good and last about 6 months.
^ Agreed

With proper preparation I can make a $3 can of Walmart wax look great!

Quality ceramic coatings offer durability and longevity to the Last Step Product (LSP) stage.
As stated in the above post about "ceramic coating" products..."They are not created equal."

There is a spray and wipe (similar to spray wax) and then the 50ml bottle liquid products.
There is cheap Chinese junk, consumer products, and high end professional only products.
The professional products are installer only and there is a manufacturer certification process.
In short, I think of a ceramic coating as a layer of glass on the paint...hence the term "ceramic".

Again, the key is preparation! This is the time spent washing, decontaminating the paint, compounding, and polishing.
This is the labor intensive part that takes time, paint polishing skills, and knowledge to obtain that "show car" finish.
Once completed, then the paint needs to be surgically clean before the ceramic coating application can be applied.

I'm sorry to say, "I'm gonna wash my car and slap that stuff on there." Sadly, it doesn't work that way. It takes time.
Is it worth it? If you want a vehicle that is easier to maintain and looks great, it's worth the time for your investment.

BTW - IMHO for a DIY guy, CQuartz 3.0 is a fairly user friendly consumer product, or have a pro install CQuartz Finest Reserve.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I used Avalon King ceramic coating on my car and it still looks freshly polished 2 months later.
Like what most have been saying here, prep is everything.
It took me about 6 hours to get my car properly prepped and finished.
1st: Wash
2nd: Clay bar
3rd: Buffing/Polishing (this took the most time to get all the micro scratches out)
4th: Isopropyl wipe down.
5th: Ceramic coating.
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Have a professional do it. Yes, it will cost you money, but the labor and prep work are important. You get what you pay for. Quick and cheap USUALLY results in "half ass" results.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:28 AM   #11
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Like buttholes, everyone has there opinion with ceramic coatings. I use to professionally detail vehicles for a living. Like others state, prep is the key. I personally do not care for them. I mean I guess if you don’t like to wash your car often or it stays outside 24/7 it may be ok. I prefer a good sealant. I use Zaino on my stuff. Got almost 70k miles on my Camaro and the finish will rival any ceramic coated vehicle for 1/16 the price. Here’s Zaino on my 78 TA with 100% factory paint. The paint is actually dead and has a lot of battle wounds but from 10’ away it looks stunning https://youtu.be/7IphaMoXy9Q
Old 09-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
Like buttholes, everyone has there opinion with ceramic coatings. I use to professionally detail vehicles for a living. Like others state, prep is the key. I personally do not care for them. I mean I guess if you don’t like to wash your car often or it stays outside 24/7 it may be ok. I prefer a good sealant. I use Zaino on my stuff. Got almost 70k miles on my Camaro and the finish will rival any ceramic coated vehicle for 1/16 the price. Here’s Zaino on my 78 TA with 100% factory paint. The paint is actually dead and has a lot of battle wounds but from 10’ away it looks stunning https://youtu.be/7IphaMoXy9Q
Damn man that's nice bro!! And I am the same way with the ceramic's, don't care for them. My Camaro is 11 years old, built in mid 2010 for the 2011 model year, a daily with 122k miles on her and no garage to keep her in. It's all in how you take care of her from day one!! I had the car buffed and sealed back then and kept it up from then on. I used to use McGuires products, loved them until I tried some of the Chemical Guys products, man what a difference. One of my friends has a 2013 ZL1 that was ceramic'ed and my 2011 with just the waxes and sealants id just as shiney and glowing as his is. His is Crystal Red Tintcoat and mine is Red Jewel Tintcoat. You look at both cars side by side and you can't tell which was coated and which was waxed!! Love it. Here is a pic of mine after a 4 hour detail with the Chemical Guys sealant and wax. The second pic is from last year, same products, just not much sunshine that day. lol.

Name:  don 5.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  207.9 KB

Name:  Ruby 1.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  454.8 KB
Old 09-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #13
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
i dont want any coatings on mine either. i valet it after every drive so no need for it
Old 09-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
I had it done on our new 21 grand cherokee the week we bought it. A reputable shop with a great reputation did the correction, polish and application to the tune of $1,200. For me, it was a waste of money. I keep our cars clean and wax every couple of months, and they look great. I got sucked into the ceramic craze, but won't again. Hell, any car will look like a million bucks with a paint correction and a coat of turtle wax.
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote