Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
jkmskfk

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Borla S type, should I....?

Trust me, I've went through whole forum.and FB pages and youtube..

So my friend is giving me deal on his S type with NPP just silver polish tip
I'm trying to decide if I should jump on it or wait for atak deal.

I have stock NPP right now and planning to have axleback only till warranty ends (1-2years). Lots of forum comments say it is good and better than atak. Also I see decent amount of people saying it is not loud enough and sounds similar to stock NPp(big improvement for none npp I hear) and not worth it.

I know S type is amazing when you mix with header or catback but I'm talking about only axleback system..

Thoughts....? Would I regret not getting atak??

Last edited by jkmskfk; 10-06-2020 at 04:22 PM.
jkmskfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
drewspr00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmskfk View Post

So my friend is giving me deal on his S type with NPP just silver polish tip for 900(no scratch almost new)

I have stock NPP right now and planning to have axleback only till warranty ends (1-2years). Lots of forum comments say it is good and better than atak. Also I see decent amount of people saying it is not loud enough and sounds similar to stock NPp(big improvement for none npp I hear) and not worth it.

I know S type is amazing when you mix with header or catback but I'm talking about only axleback system..

I recently put a Borla S-type axle back with CF tips on my 2016 SS Vert, and I was worried about the same thing. Before ordering, I messaged dynosteve about my concern, explained that I didn't mind loud, so if that was the only issue people had with it, I would do the ATAK. He explained that while the ATAK is louder, the S-type is deeper. That's exactly what I needed to hear, so I ordered it and installed it. I love the deep rumble of it and it is plenty loud! Plus, if I do headers and the rest of the exhaust down the road, I know the ATAK would be obnoxious. I really don't think you'll be disappointed by the S-type! I've had so many people get my attention at redlights and tell me "that's how a muscle car is supposed to sound"
drewspr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
jkmskfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewspr00 View Post
I recently put a Borla S-type axle back with CF tips on my 2016 SS Vert, and I was worried about the same thing. Before ordering, I messaged dynosteve about my concern, explained that I didn't mind loud, so if that was the only issue people had with it, I would do the ATAK. He explained that while the ATAK is louder, the S-type is deeper. That's exactly what I needed to hear, so I ordered it and installed it. I love the deep rumble of it and it is plenty loud! Plus, if I do headers and the rest of the exhaust down the road, I know the ATAK would be obnoxious. I really don't think you'll be disappointed by the S-type! I've had so many people get my attention at redlights and tell me "that's how a muscle car is supposed to sound"

Thanks for detailed experience and information! You had oem NPP option before the s type? Yeah i dont mind being loud for atak i think but i would love to get deep growl instead of just too high raspy. I know stype is all about being deep and nice tone but like i said, i also dont want a be more loud. Factory npp is nice and i can hear it but little too weak for me
Old 10-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
I agree with the previous comment, I have the S Type Axel. I wanted deep vs loud and raspy.

Headers in the future should get the volume to the level I want, and NPP for when I don't.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
jkmskfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
I agree with the previous comment, I have the S Type Axel. I wanted deep vs loud and raspy.

Headers in the future should get the volume to the level I want, and NPP for when I don't.

Did your factory had NPP or just dual tip?

Did it get loud compared to stock?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
NPP - S Type is louder, maybe 30%, but definitely deeper sounding
Old 10-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Don't own a Camaro, but agree the S-Type sounds better to me. I prefer the deeper rumble to the raspy loudness of the ATAK. The S is just more refined to me, and will pair with headers down the road better.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
The stype is too loud for me with headers. It will blow ppls eardrums. So there’s that.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
The stype is too loud for me with headers. It will blow ppls eardrums. So there’s that.
Yeah, anything except the factory NPP is too loud with headers and even then its debatable.

I plan to do AWE touring resonators when I add headers to my future Camaro(a lot of ifs I know).

Someone on here did that exact combo, s-type/headers/AWE resonators, and he was very happy with the end result.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Yeah I think that’s a good way to go
Old 10-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
ste6000

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmskfk View Post

So my friend is giving me deal on his S type with NPP just silver polish tip for 900(no scratch almost new)

I have the atak + xpipe from borla. it is loud and i like it. the S-type is not that much quieter, but it does have a lower tone. listen to the borla youtube video as they give you the tone idea, just keep in mind the atak is louder.

2018 Camaro SS - Hyper Metallic Blue
ste6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
ST1LE

Plus, it's $900 man!! That is a smoking deal for a very popular, NPP functional AB.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #13
jkmskfk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Plus, it's $900 man!! That is a smoking deal for a very popular, NPP functional AB.

Is it? I want it for 800, he wouldnt go down 🤣😂 wish it was carbon tip
Old 10-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #14
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Have Borla S-type axle back only. Non-Npp. Sounds amazing. Not sure I'd get it if I already had npp though. It's loud enough for me, probably louder than NPP. I find overly loud exhausts super annoying. But if you want REAL LOUD, you'd probably want an ATAK. I'd get the S-type again in a heartbeat.
Attached Images