Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-16-2022, 12:00 PM   #15
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
GM just announced a $3500.00 mark up for the ZL-1. Plus the dealer hike's it finished for me.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:37 PM   #16
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Sounds like everyone is saying the same thing:
If you want new, order now while you still have choices and a good chance of getting what you want.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
So what do you boys n girls think is going to happen in the near term (6 months to a few years) and the long term (decade or two decades) with the 6th gen Camaro SS values?

With the way gas prices are skyrocketing, inflation going crazy, and what not you would think the value on "gas guzzling" sports cars would flop pretty quickly in the near term.

But then you have to stop and consider today's crazy market, low supply of vehicles, supply/parts shortages, manufactures as a whole working to get rid of the V8, and the mostly accepted "rumor" that Camaro will die in 2024....could mean Camaro values could stay high.

That's just in the short term

Long term....one would think that eventually a nicely cared for Camaro SS (and especially higher trims) would go for a nice price, but car collectors and enthusiasts are a dying breed.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #18
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So what do you boys n girls think is going to happen in the near term (6 months to a few years) and the long term (decade or two decades) with the 6th gen Camaro SS values?

With the way gas prices are skyrocketing, inflation going crazy, and what not you would think the value on "gas guzzling" sports cars would flop pretty quickly in the near term.

But then you have to stop and consider today's crazy market, low supply of vehicles, supply/parts shortages, manufactures as a whole working to get rid of the V8, and the mostly accepted "rumor" that Camaro will die in 2024....could mean Camaro values could stay high.

That's just in the short term

Long term....one would think that eventually a nicely cared for Camaro SS (and especially higher trims) would go for a nice price, but car collectors and enthusiasts are a dying breed.
I think the value of 95% of any ICE vehicle "IF" EV's take over (and I am not trying to start another F'n EV discussion)... I think the value of them will drop. I'm not up on every Camaro made, but if there is a rare low run trim made, I'd expect those to retain some value.

If you want top dollar for your car... Sell it now. If not, you are hanging onto it for your own personal love of the car. That's my $.02

If 2024 is the last year the Camaro is made, the only way I'd upgrade is if they made some nice changes AND brought back HBM. Otherwise it's a pass on upgrading for me.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:54 PM   #19
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
but car collectors and enthusiasts are a dying breed.
Would not surprise me if the next generation of buyers drools over EV's and thinks we are all idiots.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #20
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I think the value of 95% of any ICE vehicle "IF" EV's take over (and I am not trying to start another F'n EV discussion)... I think the value of them will drop. I'm not up on every Camaro made, but if there is a rare low run trim made, I'd expect those to retain some value.

If you want top dollar for your car... Sell it now. If not, you are hanging onto it for your own personal love of the car. That's my $.02

If 2024 is the last year the Camaro is made, the only way I'd upgrade is if they made some nice changes AND brought back HBM. Otherwise it's a pass on upgrading for me.
It will when there is no gas around... But I doubt it happen quick. They can try increasing gas prices, but diesel trucks are here for few long years at least. And there is no diesel without regular gas... They come as a package. So if 90% of people will ride EVs, but trucks are still with us - somebody needs to buy that go juice...

UNLESS, which is also possible, I heard rumors - truck will switch to natural gas or something other. Then no gas. Which isn't end yet, because Europe is big on gas to NG transformations. I am guessing I will drive my ZL1 till it rusts to dust (in Michigan probably 10y ).

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #21
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
It will when there is no gas around... But I doubt it happen quick. They can try increasing gas prices, but diesel trucks are here for few long years at least. And there is no diesel without regular gas... They come as a package. So if 90% of people will ride EVs, but trucks are still with us - somebody needs to buy that go juice...

UNLESS, which is also possible, I heard rumors - truck will switch to natural gas or something other. Then no gas. Which isn't end yet, because Europe is big on gas to NG transformations. I am guessing I will drive my ZL1 till it rusts to dust (in Michigan probably 10y ).
Agreed with ya... Ya, I wasn't saying anything in the near future. That being said, if gas stays around $5/gallon or higher... (not trying to start a political conversation!) these pony/muscle cars will drop in value. There will be a very limited number of people who will want them.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #22
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Appreciate your $.02. You might be exactly right. I do think that eventually (the long term) there will be people seeking out nice Camaros for a big price, but that might just be limited to the trims higher than "just" SS. In the near term though, I have no idea. This market is too crazy.

Driveway.com will pay me over $32K for my car right now if I wanted to sell it to them. When I do a search on autotrader for low mileage 2016 or 2017 Camaro SS with an automatic transmission, I can't find anything for less than high 30s.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #23
jamala00

Quote:
Appreciate your $.02. You might be exactly right. I do think that eventually (the long term) there will be people seeking out nice Camaros for a big price, but that might just be limited to the trims higher than "just" SS. In the near term though, I have no idea. This market is too crazy.

Driveway.com will pay me over $32K for my car right now if I wanted to sell it to them. When I do a search on autotrader for low mileage 2016 or 2017 Camaro SS with an automatic transmission, I can't find anything for less than high 30s.
My local dealer just offered me $33k for my '16 SS. I was VERY tempted...! but for now... she's still mine

That's why I say... If you want top dollar for your car, sell it now. I just don't see Camaros in the future retaining or growing in value unless you have something very special.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #24
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I could be wrong but I don't think folks buying $50-100k Camaros and Corvettes are deterred much by gas prices. Most folks don't use them as heavy daily drivers. They tend to be toys, weekend cars.

I own a Tesla Model 3 as well, which makes for a great daily driver but will not scratch the itch for enthusiasts that prefer a higher level of driving engagement, track work, etc.

Most of these new EVs coming will actually handle quite well due to the low center of gravity of the battery pack but they will still be heavy if designed for 300+ miles of range.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:51 PM   #25
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think folks buying $50-100k Camaros and Corvettes are deterred much by gas prices. Most folks don't use them as heavy daily drivers. They tend to be toys, weekend cars.
Oh... I agree. I also don't think people who want a $60k+ V8 Pony car care about gas prices. (To some extent)... but I still do think that high gas prices devalues any gas guzzeling vehicles... Including V8 Pickups & SUV's
Old 06-16-2022, 06:18 PM   #26
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Oh... I agree. I also don't think people who want a $60k+ V8 Pony car care about gas prices. (To some extent)... but I still do think that high gas prices devalues any gas guzzeling vehicles... Including V8 Pickups & SUV's
I do think about whether my ZL1 price will tank at some point but I don't think it will as long as there are v8 enthusiasts and no other affordable sport EV coupes that are considered game-changing. If they do release a compelling sporty EV then they will be very expensive.

The Tesla Model 3 Performance is now in the mid $60s, I owned one and traded it for a ZL1. Other than the lower operating and about 3/10ths in the 0-60mph the ZL1 is better in every other way, at least in my opinion. The Tesla was cool as daily driver but not exhilarating like a high performance ICE based vehicle.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #27
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I do think about whether my ZL1 price will tank at some point but I don't think it will as long as there are v8 enthusiasts and no other affordable sport EV coupes that are considered game-changing. If they do release a compelling sporty EV then they will be very expensive.

The Tesla Model 3 Performance is now in the mid $60s, I owned one and traded it for a ZL1. Other than the lower operating and about 3/10ths in the 0-60mph the ZL1 is better in every other way, at least in my opinion. The Tesla was cool as daily driver but not exhilarating like a high performance ICE based vehicle.
I think with it being a ZL1 you will have a better chance of it holding decent value. Hey look at this guy... 2018 ZL1 1LE.. $80k. Guess he thinks they are going up in value.

I think there will always be true car guys like all of us. I just don't think our Camaros will appriciate in value in the future unless you have something rare.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:04 PM   #28
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Trade in and private party retails are still fairly high. MSRP on my 2017 was $46k. I agree the only way I would trade up at this point for a new model is if HBM came back.
Attached Images

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS

Last edited by bigd1276; 06-16-2022 at 07:18 PM.
bigd1276 is offline   Reply With Quote