Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #43
len_eng

Drives: 2024 Radiant Red 2SS, 1994 Z28,
My car was just diagnosed with the same torque converter shudder at 80k. I have the extended bumper to bumper coverage through GM (4 years 100k miles) but still paid nearly $400 for the flush. I only hope that if it does not work that my torque converter will be covered. Otherwise too many issues for this vehicle to rely on it as a daily driver may have to switch to another make. This is my fourth Camaro (still have my 94) and the only one I have ever had so many problems with.
len_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #44
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by len_eng View Post
My car was just diagnosed with the same torque converter shudder at 80k. I have the extended bumper to bumper coverage through GM (4 years 100k miles) but still paid nearly $400 for the flush. I only hope that if it does not work that my torque converter will be covered. Otherwise too many issues for this vehicle to rely on it as a daily driver may have to switch to another make. This is my fourth Camaro (still have my 94) and the only one I have ever had so many problems with.
That sucks, are you going to Copeland Chevy for service? Is there any clarity around what your policy covers? I would think the torque converter would be covered.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #45
len_eng

No I bring the car elsewhere. I need to see how this turns out.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #46
DiGiam

Drives: 2016 NFG SS A8
I sold my 16 A8 because it had these same issues. I could no longer rely on the car and didnt have faith in it long term. I still believe This last fluid is just a patch to get these cars out of the warranty period so that they can start denying claims and stop the bleeding it has caused gm financially
Old 09-03-2020, 06:10 AM   #47
len_eng

The flush did get rid of the shudder, hopefully it lasts a few months until I can order my next car with the 10 speed. Hopefully the 10 speed does not have this issue
Old 09-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #48
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
What is the non-GM (aftermarket) solution to this?
Old 09-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #49
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
What is the non-GM (aftermarket) solution to this?

A RANGE TECHNOLOGY module that plugs into the OBDII port. The A8 transmission will never go into AFM which many Corvette enthusiasts believe might be the cause of the 'shudder' and possible torque converter failures.

It might reduce your fuel economy by maybe 1-2mpg. It leaves no trace on the computer. Just remember to remove it before taking the car to the dealership for any reason. The newest version will not drain your battery as did the early versions.

If you're interested in reading more... https://www.rangetechnology.com/

If you're interested in buying one (I'm in northern AZ)... https://www.rangetechnology.com/
az4783054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #50
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
So I have a Range device already and I asked the question (see earlier posts).

I was told that the Range device has nothing to do with the shudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
A RANGE TECHNOLOGY module that plugs into the OBDII port. The A8 transmission will never go into AFM which many Corvette enthusiasts believes might be the cause of the 'shudder' and possible torque converter failures.

It might reduce your fuel economy by maybe 1-2mpg. It leaves no trace on the computer. Just remember to remove it before taking the car to the dealership for any reason. The newest version will not drain your battery as did the early versions.

If you're interested in reading more... https://www.rangetechnology.com/

If you're interested in buying one (I'm in northern AZ)... https://www.rangetechnology.com/
Old 09-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #51
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
Does your car exhibit the 'shudder'? Try the dealer fluid flush first. It might be covered under warranty. If your car does not exhibit the issue, don't worry about it.

I never experienced the issue in my C7 Z06 A8, but I paddle shifted it so it never went into V4. I installed a RANGE module for those times when I wanted to let it auto shift on long trips. The constant locking/unlocking of the torque converter when going V8>V4 is what leads many to believe the AFM has something to do with the 'shudder'. Others think it was due to the type of transmission fluid that GM used and subsequently changed when the torque converter 'shudder' began costing GM money to address.
az4783054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #52
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
it has nothing to do with afm except that it might be easier to trigger while in v4 mode since there may be less line pressure applied. (the issue presents at low engine loads - like while cruising on level ground in final gear)

The fluid gets water logged and this allows the torque converter to start slipping. This leads to the torque converter locally heating up and varnishing. Once it varnishes, you need a new one.

The low temp that the transmission fluid is kept at exasperates the issue. Since the water doesn't evaporate off readily. (hence the problem is more common in all the trims with transmission coolers, but much less so on those that do not)

How humid the environment is around you and how hot you regularly get your transmission fluid up to will determine when you get the shudder. But I dont see how anyone is safe from it if you're using the old pre-2019 fluid. It's just a matter of time before the fluid gets enough water to start becoming slippery.

If you dont have the shudder but you have fluid from before the 2nd quarter of 2019, then you should get the fluid changed out for the new stuff. You shouldn't wait until the shutter starts happening or becomes noticeable since you're then racing against permanent damage to the torque convertor as it becomes varnished from the effect.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #53
Bwright4

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic black,NPP,MRC
8 speed shudder /Range technology.

I had latest flush this week. 25000 miles. Seems better now but told to drive 200 miles or so. I didn't know I had issue until a friend drove it so not sure how long had it.
Has anyone installed the Range AFM/DFM technology to keep full v8 mode? Couple vett friends have one and swear by it to protect from shudder issue. Does not affect warranty. My warranty up may 2021. Have 2016 2ss.
Bwright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #54
Bwright4

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic black,NPP,MRC
Just seeing all of the range pots. Sorry?
Bwright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #55
CaliRedSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2SS
Just had mine flushed and replaced fluid due to major shuddering at 40k miles or so. The problems have been not stopped for me. Seemed like night and day first 300 miles, I notice a little pedal vibration now in the same range rpm around 1100 - 1500. I have the gm cai but it seems like that same range produces this low growling swooshing type noise. Not sure if it’s the tc or the cai. Abnormal for sure doesn’t do it at other rpm higher or lower. Hmm
CaliRedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #56
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Mine came back. I took it in yesterday (9/16) and explained the issue. I was disappointed that I couldn't go for the test drive with the tech but due to COVID they aren't doing that. The first time (2018) the tech couldn't duplicate the problem so I had go there and we went for a drive and after a few minutes I showed him what was happening.
At that time they did the flush but the shudder came back about 2 weeks ago. They are going to replace the TC.
I am hoping this does it!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote