Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
elderon1973

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
About to buy my first 6th gen!

Good evening! So I’ve owned 2-5th gens, 4-4th gens and 2-3rd gens. I haven’t had a Camaro for a few years but I’ve been shopping around. I’m pretty sure I’m picking up a 2017 1ss convertible with high miles (96k)

It’s obviously not perfect (I’ve only seen pics so far) but I’m wondering if some of you 6th gen owners with experience with the cars can give me some pointers on things to watch for or any common issues I might find.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Look for leaks in the magnetic ride controlled dampers. Outside of the normal used car inspection check list that's the only thing I would pay extra attention too.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
mrbug111

Drives: 2016 Turbo
I’ve owned two -2016 2.0t and 2017 SS convertible - they have been fast, comfortable, and reliable. The claimed visibility issues are easily overcome by using the sensors.
mrbug111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
that old visibility chestnut makes me laugh. there is no problem imho. just made up by the mustang owners. they need to have something to say to claim the camaro is junk. i'm on my 3rd camaro and if i thought this was an issue i wouldn't keep buying them.
i never have had trouble seeing out of mine. i asked my 17 year old son the other day when when we were out what he thought. he laughed and said wtf they talking about.
look one of the reasons our cars look so damn amazing is because of the smaller windows.
dont let the mustang owners try and stop you buying these amazing cars

Last edited by Camaro fanboy; 04-20-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Camaro fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:05 PM   #5
Heat Magnet

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Everybody seems to knock on the Camaro for poor visibility and/or being claustrophobic. Poor visibility only applies to just the blind spot. The only people who would have a problem with front visibility would be midgets who think they can drive a muscle car. As far as the claustrophobia, the only people that have this issue are people with a BMI of over 35 (I'm 5'9" and 145-150 lbs. and it doesn't feel any more cramped than my 2007 Cobalt or my dad's 2012 C6 GS). Since you're getting a convertible, it should feel very open with the top down anyways. Other than that, with the SS having Brembo brakes all around, brake dust will coat those nice wheels in a hurry.
  2. 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Coupe
    Black, Redline Edition, 1LE Suspension Package, 10L80 transmission, NPP, Body color high wing spoiler, Ground effects kit, 48-state legal Brembo brakes
Heat Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #6
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbug111 View Post
I’ve owned two -2016 2.0t and 2017 SS convertible - they have been fast, comfortable, and reliable. The claimed visibility issues are easily overcome by using the sensors.
I only need to see what's in front of me anyway!! Everything else is in the rearview
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #7
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat Magnet View Post
Everybody seems to knock on the Camaro for poor visibility and/or being claustrophobic. Poor visibility only applies to just the blind spot. The only people who would have a problem with front visibility would be midgets who think they can drive a muscle car. As far as the claustrophobia, the only people that have this issue are people with a BMI of over 35 (I'm 5'9" and 145-150 lbs. and it doesn't feel any more cramped than my 2007 Cobalt or my dad's 2012 C6 GS). Since you're getting a convertible, it should feel very open with the top down anyways. Other than that, with the SS having Brembo brakes all around, brake dust will coat those nice wheels in a hurry.
The only visibility issue I would complain about is when I pull up to a red light. I either have to sit waaaaay back from the intersection to see the light, or crouch way down and awkwardly look up. The windshield is pretty short. But i'm 6'4 and my head is pretty much touching the roof so that is the main reason for my issue!
Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:37 AM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Personally I would look for a Camaro with less miles than the one you are considering purchasing. 96,000 miles is a lot for a 5 year old Camaro in my opinion but you do what’s best for you. The visibility issue is moot to me anyway because once you adjust the mirrors and drivers seat and learn all the characteristics of the car you will be good to go. Good luck!��
Old 04-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #9
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
that old visibility chestnut makes me laugh. there is no problem imho. just made up by the mustang owners. they need to have something to say to claim the camaro is junk. i'm on my 3rd camaro and if i thought this was an issue i wouldn't keep buying them.
i never have had trouble seeing out of mine. i asked my 17 year old son the other day when when we were out what he thought. he laughed and said wtf they talking about.
look one of the reasons our cars look so damn amazing is because of the smaller windows.
dont let the mustang owners try and stop you buying these amazing cars

This is ridiculous. There are definitely visibility issues compared to most other cars on the road.

Proper use of mirrors and the electronic gizmos, as well as prudent, defensive driving will mitigate these issues.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #10
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorange View Post
The only visibility issue I would complain about is when I pull up to a red light. I either have to sit waaaaay back from the intersection to see the light, or crouch way down and awkwardly look up. The windshield is pretty short. But i'm 6'4 and my head is pretty much touching the roof so that is the main reason for my issue!
Yep. I'm not quite as tall (~6'2") and the lights can make you feel like an idiot.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:51 AM   #11
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
This is ridiculous. There are definitely visibility issues compared to most other cars on the road.

Proper use of mirrors and the electronic gizmos, as well as prudent, defensive driving will mitigate these issues.
There are certainly visibility issues with the car, at least until it becomes second nature. I have been in/driven MANY vehicles... and the Camaro has been towards the bottom as far as initial feel/comfort regarding visibility. I'll never forget my first test drive - I thought I was sliding into a tank. The side windows are way up high (can barely comfortably rest arms on it & I'm tall), windshield is narrow, and she has wide hips. I wasn't concerned about any of that at the time, because I knew I would become accustomed to it; I've had Z cars in the past, which are notorious for blind spots.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #12
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Mag ride would be my only real concern, as I imagine it's expensive to replace. I haven't heard of problems with it, but 96k miles is enough miles for suspension parts to wear out. If the car doesn't have mag ride, the regular suspension is cheap enough to replace that it would be a non-worry for me.

It's a high mileage car, so it may be worth paying a couple of hundred dollars for a pre-purchase inspection. You either find out something is wrong and you avoided some big bills or you have a little more peace of mind after buying it. Chances are, it's a bunch of highway miles, and it's fine.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
There are certainly visibility issues with the car, at least until it becomes second nature. I have been in/driven MANY vehicles... and the Camaro has been towards the bottom as far as initial feel/comfort regarding visibility. I'll never forget my first test drive - I thought I was sliding into a tank. The side windows are way up high (can barely comfortably rest arms on it & I'm tall), windshield is narrow, and she has wide hips. I wasn't concerned about any of that at the time, because I knew I would become accustomed to it; I've had Z cars in the past, which are notorious for blind spots.

Yep, you get used to it, but it's the worst for visibility I've had. I felt uncomfortable the first week or so, but you do get used to it and you can add convex mirrors to the side mirrors and if you go 2SS make sure you get the safety systems.

I did learn that a large drink from any drive-thru doesn't fit. I don't do soft drinks so I had no idea, but my buddy ordered a large at chickfila and i had to open the door to get the cup in the car...
Old 04-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Look for leaks in the magnetic ride controlled dampers. Outside of the normal used car inspection check list that's the only thing I would pay extra attention too.
Reasonable advice overall, but was MRC available on the 1SS trim in '17?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote