Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #127
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
POV of the future, yes, and currently they are as self driving as they are required to own.
Not sure I understand the bold part. While it’s true that you pretty much need an EV to produce a self driving car, most EVs will continue to require a driver’s attention. Cadillac’s Super Cruise is as close to self driving as anything else on the road today. On the self driving spectrum it is Level 2+, on a scale of Level 1 (Adaptive Cruise) to Level 5 (robo-taxi with no steering wheel or pedals).
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #128
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
That's actually a good point as well.

With a modded car now, you can see everything that's done to it. You open the hood and you can immediately tell. The eye candy value is there.

With an EV... Most of them have the motors and batteries tucked away, so you can't see anything that's done to them. Some also have the controllers tucked away, which you also can't see. Much less eye candy value.

Sent from toaster or something
besides it being fairly wishful thinking to even have the Camaro survive to being an EV... there's nothing stopping a front mounted motor vs tucked away. Plenty of pics of ev's where lots is right under the hood.

But most of the "seeing what's been done" stuff has less to do with actual performance mods and more about dress-up. And you can certainly do dress up on cables and junk in an ev. Replace plastic this with chrome that or red that. etc. All of the overpriced aesthetic mods you can hope for. Get some 500 dollar Monster cables (with snazzy wire sleeves and gold connectors) to replace your ground straps, etc.

You'll be able to show off just as much as before only it'll stay clean longer and probably involve cool led's too.

instead of a super charger you can have some kind of coolant chiller that allows you to over-drive your motor for short periods or some nonsense.

Maybe it'll get awesome and we'll see crazy heatsinks / thermal transfer solutions and the inside of car engine bays will look like overclocking pc case mods and instead of autozone/pepboys we'll be hitting up microcenter's new automotive diy section.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #129
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
POV of the future, yes, and currently they are as self driving as they are required to own.
Not sure I understand the bold part. Most EVs will continue to require a driver’s attention, even Teslas with “Autopilot”. Cadillac’s Super Cruise is as close to self driving as anything else on the road today. And the cars that have it are not electric. On the self driving spectrum it is Level 2+, on a scale of Level 1 (Adaptive Cruise) to Level 5 (robo-taxi with no steering wheel or pedals).
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #130
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Not sure I understand the bold part. Most EVs will continue to require a driver’s attention, even Teslas with “Autopilot”. Cadillac’s Super Cruise is as close to self driving as anything else on the road today. And the cars that have it are not electric. On the self driving spectrum it is Level 2+, on a scale of Level 1 (Adaptive Cruise) to Level 5 (robo-taxi with no steering wheel or pedals).
Self-Driving is coming as much as the requirement to own an EV. I believe in stages. They will sell it as safety for everyone, no more car accidents.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #131
cellsafemode

Quote:
Self-Driving is coming as much as the requirement to own an EV. I believe in stages. They will sell it as safety for everyone, no more car accidents.
self driving (the fully working kind that handles all situations as good or better than a human) will coincide with the death of personal vehicle ownership.

At that point all but the super rich will be priced out of personal vehicle ownership or we'd make the voluntary choice to stop wasting money (probably the former)

i dont see that happening for a long time in general. but probably will be phased in - in specific areas (especially cities in good weather areas)

the camaro will be long gone before then.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #132
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
self driving (the fully working kind that handles all situations as good or better than a human) will coincide with the death of personal vehicle ownership.

At that point all but the super rich will be priced out of personal vehicle ownership or we'd make the voluntary choice to stop wasting money (probably the former)

i dont see that happening for a long time in general. but probably will be phased in - in specific areas (especially cities in good weather areas)

the camaro will be long gone before then.
Me too
Old 02-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #133
FarmerFran

For instance...

My truck stops me forward and rearward if a collision is coming
My truck will turn me around corners on roads with no hands - well, I let the wheel slip through my hands - I do not trust it that much.
Keeps me in my lane with lights, sounds and physically.

A pickup truck. How much further will tech be in 15 years, 20 years 50 years... GO back that many and look then think forward.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #134
cellsafemode

seems like if we wanted a car that took ICE performance seriously and didn't squander their model ... maybe we should be driving a cadillac. They got all kinds of cool innovations getting implemented in their out-going ICE models. I doubt we can expect the same kind of send-off.

https://jalopnik.com/the-stick-shift...dil-1846178846

the manual loving overpowered rumble lovers are driving the wrong brand.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #135
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
For instance...

My truck stops me forward and rearward if a collision is coming
My truck will turn me around corners on roads with no hands - well, I let the wheel slip through my hands - I do not trust it that much.
Keeps me in my lane with lights, sounds and physically.

A pickup truck. How much further will tech be in 15 years, 20 years 50 years... GO back that many and look then think forward.
What pickup truck do you have that will steer around corners?

Old 02-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #136
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
What pickup truck do you have that will steer around corners?
2020 RAM 1500 Limited. And to be clear, not turn a corner like at a stop sign. It steers me around corners on roadways.

Yes it is a stupid nice truck but the steering is not even the impressive thing!

The 12 cup holders are!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #137
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
2020 RAM 1500 Limited. And to be clear, not turn a corner like at a stop sign. It steers me around corners on roadways.

Yes it is a stupid nice truck but the steering is not even the impressive thing!

The 12 cup holders are!
Ok. It can track around curves, not corners. So it has Lane Keeping Assist. I asked because we (my company) follow the progress of ADAS technologies and autonomous driving and we have absolutely zero instances of pickups with autonomous Level 2+ systems. Thought maybe we missed something. LKA is an ADAS technology (Advanced Driver Assist System) tech. They are the building blocks for autonomous. Autonomous systems are expensive to the point of making EV look like a clearance sale. The likelihood of autonomous vehicles driving a scenario where people are no longer allowed to drive their own cars is ridiculously miniscule. Think AND not IN PLACE OF.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #138
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wouldnt mind an EV camaro if it was reasonably priced,decent range and didnt look like a damn spark.at 63 years old i dont think i will live to see the golden age of electric cars,but i was around for the musclecar era parts 1 and 2...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:10 PM   #139
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
I suspect uber will be less expensive than an electric self driving car. If you have to be bored to tears then Uber is a great choice. Good move GM, you can sell some Uber fleet cars.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:45 PM   #140
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
So. . . CamEro ?