Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #15
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Reasonable advice overall, but was MRC available on the 1SS trim in '17?
i assumed all 6th gens got them except the ZLE.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #16
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Nope, it's a $1700 option, even on the 2SS
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Nope, it's a $1700 option, even on the 2SS
I wasn't sure if it could be added to the 1SS, but I looked it up and it was available for both SS trims and standard on the ZL1.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #18
elderon1973

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Thanks for all of the input. The visibility issues are a non issue for me. I plan to have the top down most of the time anyways (I live in the deep south). This car mechanically was good but man it was filthy. They hadn't detailed it yet. I would have been embarrassed to even list a car this filthy representing my dealership. It was a Mercedes dealership too! It had less paint chips than I expected for the miles but it had 2 -1 inch dents. One was real minor and the other was right on the crease at the top of the back quarter panel (not easily fixable). Both took some looking to see as they blended in pretty well. The curb rash on the rims (which the previous owner painted black-not factory black) was some of the worst I've ever seen. The car has potential for a fun daily driver and looks good from 6 feet away. I told them I wanted the fixable dent repaired and new rims or the cost of new rims deducted from the price. I had already talked them down to 26650 which is the cheapest priced SS 6th gen within 500 miles of where I live. I'll find out tomorrow if they accepted my new terms. I think a nice 6th gen SS may just be too much above my budget. I'll have to settle for some flaws, wait another year or two to save up more money, or get another 5th gen Vert.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #19
Wontspeak

Drives: 1SS 1LE
Wontspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:17 AM   #20
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderon1973 View Post
Thanks for all of the input. The visibility issues are a non issue for me. I plan to have the top down most of the time anyways (I live in the deep south). This car mechanically was good but man it was filthy. They hadn't detailed it yet. I would have been embarrassed to even list a car this filthy representing my dealership. It was a Mercedes dealership too! It had less paint chips than I expected for the miles but it had 2 -1 inch dents. One was real minor and the other was right on the crease at the top of the back quarter panel (not easily fixable). Both took some looking to see as they blended in pretty well. The curb rash on the rims (which the previous owner painted black-not factory black) was some of the worst I've ever seen. The car has potential for a fun daily driver and looks good from 6 feet away. I told them I wanted the fixable dent repaired and new rims or the cost of new rims deducted from the price. I had already talked them down to 26650 which is the cheapest priced SS 6th gen within 500 miles of where I live. I'll find out tomorrow if they accepted my new terms. I think a nice 6th gen SS may just be too much above my budget. I'll have to settle for some flaws, wait another year or two to save up more money, or get another 5th gen Vert.
I will say that if you're struggling to afford a high mileage example, it's probably best to wait until you have more money and the market cools off. There will be expensive maintenance and repair costs to go along with the car, and you don't want to end up in a really bad financial spot just trying to keep the car on the road. I've bought cars I barely could afford, and then I'm struggling to pay for $100+ oil changes and $1000+ tires. Credit card debt and no savings aren't worth it for a nicer car.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #21
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I'd beg to differ on MRC being a "must have" option. MotorTrend actually preferred the non-MRC suspension on the SS compared to MRC and the performance #s with both were identical in their handling tests:

"This Camaro SS is the 2SS model. Even though it’s about $9K pricier than the 1SS model we tested for Car of the Year, we don’t like it as much. Objectively, the performance is almost identical. Look at the figure-eight times. Both ran a 24.1-second lap. However, both Cammisa and I preferred the ride and handling from the fixed suspension on the 1SS to the adjustable magnetorheological dampers on the 2SS. We also both preferred the way the Camaro tore up a ribbon of asphalt compared to the M4.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...let-camaro-ss/

I owned a 1SS for 4years and can confirm the base SS suspension is really well sorted out. There are trade-offs with the Camaro, but the suspension / chassis tuning and driveline are not one of them.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Rims can be repaired, and fairly easily. They may not be willing to replace them, or will replace them with whatever fits the spec (without regard to style). Since they are a non-GM dealership, they don't have access to the parts at the same cost (I would expect). Explore having the rims repaired which would include sanding, filling of gouges, and re-painting. I've had this done on a few cars over the years and have always been happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I'd beg to differ on MRC being a "must have" option. MotorTrend actually preferred the non-MRC suspension on the SS compared to MRC and the performance #s with both were identical in their handling tests:

"This Camaro SS is the 2SS model. Even though it’s about $9K pricier than the 1SS model we tested for Car of the Year, we don’t like it as much. Objectively, the performance is almost identical. Look at the figure-eight times. Both ran a 24.1-second lap. However, both Cammisa and I preferred the ride and handling from the fixed suspension on the 1SS to the adjustable magnetorheological dampers on the 2SS. We also both preferred the way the Camaro tore up a ribbon of asphalt compared to the M4.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...let-camaro-ss/

I owned a 1SS for 4years and can confirm the base SS suspension is really well sorted out. There are trade-offs with the Camaro, but the suspension / chassis tuning and driveline are not one of them.
The stock SS suspension is very good. If you want it a little softer, you have to make some adjustments. If you want it a little stiffer, you have to make some adjustments. If you want those same levels of flexibility at the touch of a button, you opt for MRC. Personally, I very much like having the option in the car but find that I seldom use the Tour setting. I am mostly in Sport (which largely aligns with the non-MRC suspension setup) and sometimes flip to Track when I'm in the twisties because the car is simply glued to the pavement with that setting.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #23
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
This is ridiculous. There are definitely visibility issues compared to most other cars on the road.
Not with the top down
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #24
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
A few more things to check for:

Most common issue to look for on the 6th gen vert: Delamination of the glass from the fabric top (failure of the adhesive), particularly at the corners. Thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519083

Also make sure the trunk divider is present (has a magnetic switch that prevents the top from operating if not snapped into position).

Key extender. Used to add leverage so you can pop the trunk from the keyhole above the driver's side rear seat.

Tow hook. Should be in the trunk in the foam tray under the mat.

2 keyfobs and make sure both are fully functional.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #25
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
great car

i would watch out for transmission shudder, check out tranny and torque converter...even if you get a manual check out tranny and clutch...those i would check over
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #26
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
[QUOTE=ember1205;10997271]Rims can be repaired, and fairly easily. They may not be willing to replace them, or will replace them with whatever fits the spec (without regard to style). Since they are a non-GM dealership, they don't have access to the parts at the same cost (I would expect). Explore having the rims repaired which would include sanding, filling of gouges, and re-painting. I've had this done on a few cars over the years and have always been happy with the results.

Invoice price on parts is often not too far from the price you or I could purchase at off of the street; dealers typically don't make a killing off of parts. It is the labor, warranties, protection packages, and miscellaneous charges related to sale of a vehicle and/or financing. Selling parts doesn't keep the lights on.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Invoice price on parts is often not too far from the price you or I could purchase at off of the street; dealers typically don't make a killing off of parts. It is the labor, warranties, protection packages, and miscellaneous charges related to sale of a vehicle and/or financing. Selling parts doesn't keep the lights on.
Either way, repairing four rims at a cost of $500 (or less) is far less expensive than having them replace the rims at a cost of $1200 or more. And, honestly, they very well might have the rims repaired and tell you they replaced them anyway (in some cases) - you likely wouldn't be able to tell.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #28
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Yep. I'm not quite as tall (~6'2") and the lights can make you feel like an idiot.

I HATE that about my Camaro. Takes a lot getting used to coming from a 2012 Mustang GT which has phenomenal visibility compared to my SS.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote