Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Spend my $$$...

Bone stock motor, 2011 SS with manual.

I don't know if "power touring" is still a thing, or even a phrase, but that's pretty much what I'm interested in. I'm a lot more interested in the ability to quickly pass on 2 lane backroads and interstates then off-the-line power (although that's fine as well). I don't mind a bit more "burble" in the exhaust but don't want droning or an exhaust you have to talk over at normal cruising speeds. I also don't want a huge drop in gas mileage because I don't want to reduce my range between mandatory stops.

So let's say I wanted to drop about $2k into it to make it a bit more lively on highway passing and on-ramp sprints. Stick with the normal "CAI, long tube, tune" recommendation?

Oh, and I want to stay emissions legal.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Emissions legal and longtubes rarely go together

Sounds like a carb approved supercharger be your answer
Old 08-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
No emissions worry in Indy, my friend. Definitely cai, long tubes w/hi Flo cats and a good tune. My mileage actually up with dyno tune. Can't beat the hp increase and overall driving thrill.
It's simple, dependable and overall best mod for the buck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Long tubes with hi-flow cats will be 48 state legal.
I added ~60 WHP & lb./ft. with Pfadt Tri-Ys and a Vararam intake with tune. A 17% increase.

For comparison, a 3.91 screw would get you ~13% increase. You will definitely feel the difference and it won't decrease your mpg; until you step on it
Old 08-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Headers and an intake are a must for these cars. Like CamaroFred says. 50-60rwhp is very possible (he did it on our dyno). We can get you a great package deal on both if you're interested. If you can make it to the Chicago area we can even do the install/tune.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
BehindBlueI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
No emissions worry in Indy, my friend. Definitely cai, long tubes w/hi Flo cats and a good tune. My mileage actually up with dyno tune. Can't beat the hp increase and overall driving thrill.
It's simple, dependable and overall best mod for the buck.
I know we don't have inspections, but I don't want to go catless/obviously non-compliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Headers and an intake are a must for these cars. Like CamaroFred says. 50-60rwhp is very possible (he did it on our dyno). We can get you a great package deal on both if you're interested. If you can make it to the Chicago area we can even do the install/tune.
Feel free to PM me some contact info. I seem to have a glitch in my PMs, I can type a recipient but it won't let me put the cursor in the subject or text box. I could send PMs before, so not sure what's up.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
BehindBlueI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Sounds like a carb approved supercharger be your answer
I kind of kicked that around but honestly I don't think I want to put that much $$$ into the car. I'm going to drive this at least until my son is out of college then maybe move over to a Corvette again. My wife is hot on the new mid-engine look and has "pre-approved" one, so to speak, for that time frame.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
For $2k I'd suggest a set of TSP, Stainless Power, or OBX long tube headers with high flow cats, Solo Maxh X catback, either a gently used Roto-fab or CAI intake from here or a new K&N, and a tune. Headers will run you around $800-$900, catback another $800, CAI $250, and $500 for a tune. All in all you'll be in it for around $2,500. If you want to pony up the extra $100-$200 for a new cold air intake then go Roto-fab or CAI. Both are great and worth the money.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
2 grand down payment on a 13 up zl1...LOL really the prices are that good now. Or drop some gears in the rear...……. emissions suck... but a cold air intake and headers / HFC and tune with gears most likely over the 2k...
Old 08-24-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
BehindBlueI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
2 grand down payment on a 13 up zl1...LOL really the prices are that good now. Or drop some gears in the rear...……. emissions suck... but a cold air intake and headers / HFC and tune with gears most likely over the 2k...
I don't have a car note and not looking to pick one up. I already have an adjustable suspension, catskinz and really like my color combination and interior. I'm also only at about 30k miles on mine and it's all up to date on wear items/maintenance. The only issue with my car is the farthest left backup sensor is out and I know how to use mirrors so I'm not that concerned about that. I considered it, but really don't want to swap out until/unless I go back to a Corvette.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Small cam , long tube headers ,hi flow cats ,CAI and a good tune .The BTR LS3 STAGE 1 NA CAM is a good choice.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Longtubes intake and tune.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
lazerlemonta

Drives: 2010 C6 1LT
I have proved this over and over. Best bang for the buck for "acceleration" Light clutch and gear. I took my 5th gen and went 11.56@120 with bolt ons and stock gear (1LE) I also took my C6 with 100% Stock exhaust to 11.0x @ 126mph. This was utilizing a 5.5" tilton clutch that weighed 16 pounds complete. For your 5th gen I would suggest a 7.25" quarter master set up and 4.10 gears but to fit your budget a spec mini twin can be obtained. It will flat destroy a typical basic bolt on car i.e. headers and cold air intake.

Best ET 10.58 @ 131.8 stock heads and stock cam 453/445 SAE
10.62@134.82 GPI 281CC Heads, SS4 Cam and X1 Intake
Best 1/8 6.80@105.75
Best MPH 134.82
lazerlemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
Bone stock motor, 2011 SS with manual.

I don't know if "power touring" is still a thing, or even a phrase, but that's pretty much what I'm interested in. I'm a lot more interested in the ability to quickly pass on 2 lane backroads and interstates then off-the-line power (although that's fine as well). I don't mind a bit more "burble" in the exhaust but don't want droning or an exhaust you have to talk over at normal cruising speeds. I also don't want a huge drop in gas mileage because I don't want to reduce my range between mandatory stops.

So let's say I wanted to drop about $2k into it to make it a bit more lively on highway passing and on-ramp sprints. Stick with the normal "CAI, long tube, tune" recommendation?

Oh, and I want to stay emissions legal.
The brutal honesty of it is $2000 isn’t gonna buy you exactly what you’re looking for. Two grand doesn’t buy hardly any HP, that’s the truth. Two grand gets you started and frees up a little hp but not enough to make a difference.

*If you’re going to put the cheapest stuff on your car, you’re gonna get the cheapest performance so be weary of eBay headers and such.

If $2000 is all you have right now, and you want some get up and go, item one is gears. (THE GEARS WILL DEFINITELY GIVE YOU THAT PEPPINESS YOU WANT FOR PASSING AND ON-RAMPS) Any dealership? can install 3:91 genuine GM performance parts for around $12-1300, (I think someone mentioned this), get a CAI..not a cheap one $350ish, put the remaining $350 towards a catch-can, again not a cheap one... you don’t need a tune just yet but if you can scrape up $600ish get one. Don’t get some back alley tune on a portable dyno....find a real performance shop with a huge reputation.

Next items will be headers and exhaust. $3000ish, Probably more and a tune $600 tops.

NOW you’re on your way towards actual HP that matters and the car is beginning to be prepped for what comes next.

Which is, camshaft, don’t worry about the heads unless you’re gonna be running nascar or 300mph ,LS3 heads are about as good as they come.

FI or Turbo

One last thing. You’re gonna sacrifice some milage. Nothing comes without a price. 1. The setup eats more fuel. 2. You think you’re gonna drive it like you used to? Yeah right.

Last edited by SquawkVFR; 08-27-2019 at 04:58 PM.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote