Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this, but although I generally run all nannies on when I'm commuting, this car is very very controllable sideways.

https://www.facebook.com/Billy.Ng.47...5683631456821/

I've been known to actually turn everything off only when its raining and very cold (on G2s) in order to have a little sideways fun (never putting others in danger it should be very well noted).
Not going anywhere. Just making sure I understand correctly.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #16
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

While everyone has a real job and I’m tired of friggin Netflix...I have about 5 more days of this immobilized BS soooooo .

I submit the following for your consumption and scrutiny.

1. Driving in normal mode, making no adjustments after starting is obviously the safest. However, any tuner or performance tech will tell you it’s bad for your motor, especially as your HP rises because the spark is cutting power to the engine to make corrections to the path of the car and ya don’t wanna do that especially if you’re screwing around a lot like none of us do, yeah right . Which brings us to...number...

2. You should always (always=personal discretion) push the button once to turn off ONLY the traction control, leaving on the stabiltrak. The only two, correct me here...the only two levels of auto (Computer) control are, rev limiter and stabiltrak and that’s only if you swerve like a motherfubber! And that’s swerve only. You can still get totally sideways in this mode and do donuts and drift or whatever... but if you swerve then bring it back...you’ll get assistance. And you won’t even know it. (My reference on this is, I’ve test this, but others experience will come into play here)

3. Push the button twice for competition mode and that’s exactly like it reads in the owners manual.

4. Hold the button down 7-10 seconds. You shut all computer assistance off. No rev limiter, no traction control, no stabiltrak no nuttin’.

Here’s where I get confused. I drive without traction control off. 98% of the time.

I never ever drive with the “Nannies” off. The nannies being everything.

Who drives around in competition mode? Maybe somebody...competition mode is everyone’s 387 different opinions on that...

Using this as a baseline, where’s the consensus?
Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #17
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Not going anywhere. Just making sure I understand correctly.
Not sure what FB is doing here, that's a link to a video. Let's try it this way:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ak...UWwrGv-kBUODFJ

As far as your question below, I don't run in competition mode ever. This car understeers (as all modern cars do), even with the modifications I've done to it that make it understeer less. If I'm sideways, its because I want to be there, and if I want to be there, I don't want a computer to start stabbing at my brakes in the middle of it to bring me back in.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #18
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Not sure what FB is doing here, that's a link to a video. Let's try it this way:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ak...UWwrGv-kBUODFJ

As far as your question below, I don't run in competition mode ever. This car understeers (as all modern cars do), even with the modifications I've done to it that make it understeer less. If I'm sideways, its because I want to be there, and if I want to be there, I don't want a computer to start stabbing at my brakes in the middle of it to bring me back in.

This is still confusing... driving with traction control off is one thing and driving with the nannies off is another thing. I’m just trying to find out which mode people are driving in...that’s all.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #19
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
This is still confusing... driving with traction control off is one thing and driving with the nannies off is another thing. I’m just trying to find out which mode people are driving in...that’s all.
It is all dependent on the level of fun you want to have , and your ability as a driver . I am not running with them off in rain with the Goodyears ,that's for sure.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #20
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
It is all dependent on the level of fun you want to have , and your ability as a driver . I am not running with them off in rain with the Goodyears ,that's for sure.
So you drive with all the nannies off when you want to have fun?
Old 08-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #21
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
You either have lots of track experience (a real track, not those straight ones) and are comfortable with a car being sideways, or you aren't. These cars understeer pretty terribly (as all cars do). I did some suspension modifications to mine that make it understeer less, but it still understeers. There is practically 0 chance that the rear end of my car steps out unless I want it to, so the mode I run in is irrelevant unless I want to get sideways.

For the vast majority of my driving, all nannies are on. But if its wet out or really cold and I'm on G2s (which have terrible traction in the cold), then I likely turn all nannies off (hold button for 10 seconds).
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #22
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

The 11th commandment. Thou shalt not have any straight answers before ye.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM   #23
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I usually run with it totally off if I'm dong any spirited driving, which is most of the time in the car. If I am just cruising somewhere, not at a heightened level of driving involvement, I leave it on, 90% cause I don't want to see the lights, and 10% because I think it could be beneficial if something really catches me off guard and the car gets away from me.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #24
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I played with the StabiliTrac a bit when I first got my Camaro to find it's limits. A slight amount, like kicking the ass over a foot or two when coming around a corner, and it doesn't interfere at all. Makes for a nice power slide.

Traction Control, well, I've turned that off a few times, but mostly I leave it on. With some hard acceleration I see the light blink as it skips over wrinkles in the road. On a launch, if only hard enough to get a nice chirp I have yet to see it kill any power. Only winding it up high and popping the clutch does it step on the power.
Overall, it seems pretty lenient to me. Tires are expensive, so it isn't often when I care to leave much of it behind me.

I'm sure the time is coming that if you are involved in an accident, even if it isn't your fault, someone will collect the data and you will be assigned the blame if you have turned off the nannies. Good luck with your insurance cost then.
They are already hinting at it with those boxes you plug in to receive a discount if you drive like a hyper-miler-asshat.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:12 PM   #25
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Something you also gain from turning on competitive mode for the 13 and newer models is it tightens up the steering for higher speed driving
Old 08-31-2019, 09:32 PM   #26
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
whats all this talk of nannys? i have falkens stock stagger and i have dump the clutch to break them loose they even have good traction in the rain imo. am i wayy down on power or what?
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:18 AM   #27
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
So can we get 315 or even 335 20’s on these 2010-2012 SS?

Anyone have pics and wheel specs in those sizes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #28
bruceffect

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE, 1982 911SC
I have to say I love the Goodyear G2's at the track, and I run in competition mode when I'm there. My current alignment setup on stock suspension is very neutral. It doesn't understeer and turns in really nicely.

Here's my setup:

Front camber: -1.8
Rear camber: -1.1
Front toe: .04" out
Rear toe: .06" in

I've raced on Hoosiers, Toyos, Hankooks, etc., but I got the 1LE to be a cushy drive to and from the track, but have a ton of fun on the track, toy. So far, it's living up to that vision.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by bruceffect; 09-02-2019 at 12:04 PM.
bruceffect is offline   Reply With Quote