Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #15
steveww
RUSH TWO

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Since I have this issue I have been concerned. My battery voltage when driving on highway stays at 12.5 -12.6. I have read that it should be 13.5 to 14. I went to auto zone and they checked starter battery and alternator. Everything passed but the new battery only has an 81% charge. I think I have a weak alternator. My car does have an LSA Supercharger that I added last year. Anybody have any thoughts.

Window tint, Clear bra, 1 7/8 Headers with Hi-flow cats, ADM Performance-CAI, Slotted/Drilled Rotors with Ceramic carbon fiber pads. Painted Calipers, Drag wheels, Outlaw Catback Quad tips, CFD Shifter with Leather boot upgrade, LSA Supercharger, AEM AFR Gauge
steveww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #16
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveww View Post
Since I have this issue I have been concerned. My battery voltage when driving on highway stays at 12.5 -12.6. I have read that it should be 13.5 to 14. I went to auto zone and they checked starter battery and alternator. Everything passed but the new battery only has an 81% charge. I think I have a weak alternator. My car does have an LSA Supercharger that I added last year. Anybody have any thoughts.
Your alternator is dead. Replace it.

A fully charged battery should be at 12.6V. Your vehicles gauge tells you that you are only getting battery info. A good alternator should be reading 14.1 to 15v no matter what road you're driving on.

Basically saying that with your vehicle off with no load your battery should be around 12.2 - 12.6V
Running, it should read in the 14's.

If you have a multimeter, set it to volts and put the red lead on the battery lead nut on the back of the alternator and the black lead on the case of the alternator or any ground. If its under 13.0 volts replace the alternator. A good reading would be in the 14's.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
We have adaptive charging so you’ll only see it charge under load (like at night) otherwise, you won’t see it charging all the time.

I run a trickle charger as there are loads (factory) that can drain a battery over time. The only way to know for sure is to have a draw test performed using a test light or volt meter.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
We have adaptive charging so you’ll only see it charge under load (like at night) otherwise, you won’t see it charging all the time.

I run a trickle charger as there are loads (factory) that can drain a battery over time. The only way to know for sure is to have a draw test performed using a test light or volt meter.

-Don
Adaptive charging works when its needed. It will fluctuate low to high 15V`s or more when need to. It could be tricky to diagnose yes, but, driving around at 12.6 V constantly tells me the alt. is dead. The gauge needle should jump around not stay in 1 position.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #19
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
During the day I see 12.6 and not jumping. At night I see it move.

Not saying it can't be the alt but, try driving at night to see if the load 'excites' the charging first. Then do a draw test and then, verify all grounds...

After that, may be alt...

I also trickle charge the battery first to ensure a fully charged battery. My new battery took 3 days to fully charge...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 08-29-2019 at 02:44 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #20
steveww
RUSH TWO

Thank you for this info

Window tint, Clear bra, 1 7/8 Headers with Hi-flow cats, ADM Performance-CAI, Slotted/Drilled Rotors with Ceramic carbon fiber pads. Painted Calipers, Drag wheels, Outlaw Catback Quad tips, CFD Shifter with Leather boot upgrade, LSA Supercharger, AEM AFR Gauge
Old 08-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #21
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Im pushing 80K miles on my factory 2012 battery.
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #22
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro RRM 2SS RS, M6 LS3 Vert
I also still have the original battery at 36,000+ miles. I store it in winter and have not always been diligent about the tender, so I think the battery was drained once or twice during the winter and I had to jump it. It seems to charge fine and is still going strong.

I am planning to only use OEM parts in this car, unless there is a universally accepted, better alternative. I have a lot of confidence on the information you all share here. Thanks! :-)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #23
steveww
RUSH TWO

Ok. Is it working or not.?
I put the battery on a 1.5 amp slow charge for several hours. Then attached my digital meter. Checked battery first. It showed 12.95. Then did the parasitic test and showed 00. Now alternator check. I started car with lights radio door open everything on and it showed 14.4 to 14.8, the car gauge also matched. Finally I went for a ride battery voltage showed 14.5 to 14.6 the entire ride. So all I did was charge the battery for a few hours and now everything seems correct. The resting battery car off was always 12.3 before all this and after my drive it was 12.9. A fully charged battery is 12.6 is it not? Can this car over charge? I am going to just keep an eye on it.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #24
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
A fully charged battery will be ~13.2V.