Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-01-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
Alexk

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE Shadow Gray
SS 1LE Impressions

I've had my ss 1le for a month now and I thought I would share my impressions since I didn't do a test drive before I ordered it and didn't really know what to expect. My decision was made only based on the research I've done online, on youtube and this forum. Perhaps this will be helpful for people that consider getting one.

My experience based on daily driving the car in South FL with decent amount of traffic all the time. No track use so far, that's a whole different topic.

First, the car looks much better in person than on the pictures. Pictures don't really do the justice because you can't see all the lines and curves.
I picked A10 so I don't have to jerk off that stick in stop and go traffic and it was a good decision. I was really tempted to get a manual for more driving experience but glad I didn't. Every time I stay in traffic I'm thinking thanks God it's not a manual, that would be exhausting. A10 is great by the way, not a single complain.
I was really debating between 1ss and 2ss hearing all the negative feedbacks about the speakers and visibility in the car but went with 1ss due to the price factor, just couldn't justify 55k for camaro. I'm not a sound geek and I have to say they are decent speakers and no worse than any other car I owned before, zero complaints about that. When it comes to visibility, it was very weird and uncomfortable at first but now I'm used to it and never had problems changing lanes or with the blind spots. What really helped me, is doing some research on this forum properly adjusting the side mirrors and apparently they were right, you actually don't need to see your rear quarters in the mirror I'm actually ashamed I've been driving with mirrors adjusted like this for 12 years. No problem with rear view mirror as well, as long as I see there is a car behind me thru the that window, that's the only only info I need about what's going on behind me. So this eliminated my need for 2ss package.
I was little disappointed in Recaro seats. I've read a lot they are very comfortable and that's not the case. I'm not a big guy, 5-7 and 170lbs and they are pretty snug even for me. They do great job keeping you in place during sharp turn, no doubt about that, and work for short drives but I wouldn't be happy with longer commutes. Also, I wish you could recline them back more. I hear its a problem with all the models, but I rented 2ss (non 1le) for about a week and didn't have this issue, probably because regular seats are more comfortable on the first place.
Front splitter and bumper height is lower than regular cars, but not as low as I expected which is a big plus. Not a single issue going in and out of driveways. When it comes to parking, had to get used to parking back in all the time so it's easier to get out and no worries about front splitter.
The gas mileage sucks which is expected. Chevy claims 16mpg in the city, the best I got so far is 14.5. I don't drive like a maniac and only push it once in a while. At the end it's a performance car and has a lot of power, so no regrets here, it's worth it on my opinion.
My car is shadow gray and it gets dirty pretty fast, even though the streets are pretty clean here. Gets dusty the next day you wash it and when it rains because of the wide tires the bottom part of the car gets nasty instantly. On the other hand ceramic coating helps a lot with the washes, totally worth it. I was quoted $1400 all around but did some research and found a guy who did a good job for $650 all around including windows, wheels and barrels without paint preparation. He was the only one that gave me option of not doing prep because it was a brand new car. With paint prep price would be $800 all around. I'm not that crazy about paint being perfect, my goal for ceramic coating was easier car wash.
The amount of power ss has is more than enough for the city and I can't justify getting zl1. I didn't even have a chance to floor it yet with all the traffic.
I played with magnetic ride control a few times and so far didn't feel the difference in ride quality and stiffness. Perhaps I would on the track, but in the city you can't do many sharp turns. Otherwise the suspension is great and holds turns pretty well even in touring mode. Love it
Dual mode exhaust is amazing. It's nice to have an option to change the sound of exhaust depending on your mood. Right now I drive about half a time with closed valves and other half with open. Totally worth it.

Overall, I'm very happy with the car. 1LE looks really different from other camaros and you know you got a special one. But if you want a car for daily driving, want to save some $$$ and don't care that much about looks of 1le, regular SS would be great choice and great car for the price. If you planning tracking the car, definitely go with 1le.
Alexk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Thank you for this review, Alex, keep enjoying your Camaro

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I agree with a lot of your points including the seats, 1SS vs 2SS and difference in stiffness for MRC. However I'm not sure you're driving a stick shift right "I picked A10 so I don't have to jerk off that stick in stop and go traffic" lol. There is a mod here on the forums where you can make the seats recline more but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. I would only need to recline the seats back that far if I was taking a nap in the car.

Enjoy the car! but not too much
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Research the seat mod. Lots of elbow grease but was worth it for me.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:31 PM   #5
pondo

Drives: '23 SS 1LE
Did the ceramic coating guy remove your wheels to coat them?

'23 SS 1LE Rapid Blue
18’ SS 1LE Hyper Blue - sold
pondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Rev matching makes stick driving so easy even in traffic
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #7
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
It’s okay to admit you can’t drive stick OP. Congrats on the 1LE.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:56 AM   #8
Alexk

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE Shadow Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondo View Post
Did the ceramic coating guy remove your wheels to coat them?
Yes, he removed the wheels to coat the barrels
Alexk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
I just hope you get to enjoy its handling without having to drive 500 miles north to do so.

I visit family in south Florida from time to time and when I'm there wonder if I could enjoy my own car there on the arrow-straight, grid-like layout of the roads on the billiard flat landscape.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote