Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-13-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Possible solution for relay attacks

I was talking to a coworker about how relay attacks work while watching videos of people getting their cars stolen at home in the middle of the night and ways to thwart them. Besides a blocking box/pouch (that I can't seem to find with out shit reviews where they just don't work or stop working), one is the usual kill switch inside the car but if you buy a new car will that void part or all of your warranty or cause problems with electrical components that need the battery to not lose memory?

Then he asked if it was possible to install a kill switch on the fob instead. A button or switch to disconnect the battery while not in use and could be activated in a pocket while you approach.

I don't have a keyless vehicle yet as my 3LT hasn't been picked up by chevy yet (send some prayers to whatever sky daddy you like for me), but does any electronically minded people know if this could be done?

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:58 PM   #2
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I use this pouch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Works fine, and is simple and fast. Seems to me that a kill switch for a keyfob would involve opening the fob and doing some hocus pocus that would be much more complicated.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:09 PM   #3
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
If you don't mind disconnecting the car battery, something simple like this would work fine. https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batter...dp/B07JZ8MKL2/

Pop the trunk, unscrew the green knob and take it with you. My pops always had the top post style of these on his classic cars.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Had this concern when we bought our new Durango.

Just get a faraday box. Really works. Throw the key in when you get home. $20 right now on Amazon and it comes with two travel prices like Allez mentions. Two years and it's still holding up. Can put the key in the box and sit with it on your lap in the car and it won't start.

https://a.co/d/6YJ3b5D
Old 10-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #5
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I use this pouch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Works fine, and is simple and fast. Seems to me that a kill switch for a keyfob would involve opening the fob and doing some hocus pocus that would be much more complicated.
I use a pouch similar to this as well. I've tested it several times throughout it's life of both this and my old 2017 ss. the car doesn't recognize any semblance of the keyfob around or in it, if it's in the pouch.

the pouch also worked for our 2015, 2016 kia forte, my wifes 2013 genesis, etc.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Store keys in metal Yetti coffee mug. Everyone gets a color matched mug

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 09:42 PM   #7
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I installed a $30 kill switch off of amazon. It's just basically a relay that you hook to the battery and control with a remote key fob. It voids your warranty to the same degree as changing tires, installing new wiper blades or installing a new battery.

Faraday boxes also work well from what I hear.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 08:52 PM   #8
VanillaGorrila

Drives: Chev Camaro 1le
I just installed a msd 2step with a hidden switch. Activate 2 step when you park and car gets no spark, no start.

Now I can launch proper at any RPM and shoot some awesome fireballs while protecting my car lol
VanillaGorrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:59 PM   #9
discgolf01

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible M6
I have the ultimate theft prevention......M6.
discgolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:37 PM   #10
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolf01 View Post
I have the ultimate theft prevention......M6.

Nice thought, but a "professional" car thief will know how to drive just about every kind of car out there. A manual won't even slow them down.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #11
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Nice thought, but a "professional" car thief will know how to drive just about every kind of car out there. A manual won't even slow them down.
A real pro will just tow it off. No one looks twice at a tow truck and the "good" guys can snatch a car in seconds.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:39 PM   #12
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueleader_92 View Post
A real pro will just tow it off. No one looks twice at a tow truck and the "good" guys can snatch a car in seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tD4n--hwamU
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:26 PM   #13
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Pardon some ignorance here, gang: I believe I understand the *technical* side of the process by which a relay attack works (mimicking the signal, whatever, etc.)

What I don't get is, what would a thief (thieves) need to go to pull this off?

Would they -- because doesn't it have to be two perps -- have to:

1) First somehow discover that you have a car that uses a remote key;
2) Manage to be present and able to deploy their signal-stealing equipment when you actually get in and start the car;
3) Follow you home and find out where you park; then
4) Return (both of them) and throw the bogus signal to the car while no one (i.e., the actual owner) is nearby to break up the heist?

Clue me in. I have a detached garage that's about 120 ft. from the street, and if I ever saw anyone nosing around near it, they would quite seriously need to have also prepared to have violence visited upon them.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 04:52 AM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
You're overthinking it. Relay attack thieves arrive with the knowledge and equipment to take a target of opportunity when they see it. One person with a handheld device can steal a car in the same amount of time you need to get in and start it.

If the car is visible from the street, it's bait.

If the car is inside a windowless garage, then it doesn't exist. They can't steal what they can't see.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote