Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Our we witnessing the last of the gasoline engines?
Yes 8 19.51%
No 33 80.49%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #15
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
To the fact I don't doubt you also paid the tax below exert from 2017 regulations. Cars also included the Z06, Hellcat, and Viper.

"Thus, using the modern adjusted numbers, a new vehicle must return better 16 mpg to avoid the Guzzler Tax. The EPA does not publish a chart of the tax rate by adjusted numbers, but the agency’s unadjusted chart can be seen at the right."

Last edited by Tajefe Couple; 04-21-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Tajefe Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:35 PM   #16
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Not to argue but I bought the car new and in 2006 it had everything to do with it being considered an import due to at the time federal regulations on imports.
Still have the original window sticker could dig up if you'd like. I also don't doubt you paid the tax but I defiantly wanted to know why the added cost when purchasing the car.
Page 4 of the attached federal gas guzzler tax document in 2006 shows the GTO with all the other imports.
I know the GTO was subject to the gas guzzler tax. It still has NOTHING to do with it being an imported vehicle. It’s been a law since the late 70s to penalize car buyers who want cars with bad fuel economy.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #17
Tajefe Couple

OK and yes its been an ever changing standard put out by the EPA since the late 70's gas shortage. The big 3 had somehow found a way to avoid it since 1994 before the 2004 GTO and American made Viper where released. But sounds like you have your answer. What would I know anyway. lmfao

Last edited by Tajefe Couple; 04-21-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Tajefe Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:43 AM   #18
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Gas Guzzler tax has NOTHING to do with build location. It is based only on fuel economy. Example would be 2016 Z06. All Corvettes are built in Bowling Green. Z06 auto pays guzzler tax while M7 does not. Fuel economy is pretty close but enough different that the auto is penalized.
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #19
Dave-ROR

Quote:
OK and yes its been an ever changing standard put out by the EPA since the late 70's gas shortage. The big 3 had somehow found a way to avoid it since 1994 before the 2004 GTO and American made Viper where released. But sounds like you have your answer. What would I know anyway. lmfao
Because they built cars that didn't meet the fuel economy requirements to get hit with the GG tax during those years. Hondas are imported, how many of those exist on the GG list? The changes to the GG tax have been changes to the level at which the tax takes effect. That was done to allow auto manufacturers time to improve vehicle fuel economy before being slammed with the tax. The tax is also enforced by the IRS, just using the MPG levels set by the EPA. But anyways, the GG Tax was *never* used to target imported vehicles.

What would you know? I'm sure lots of things, but lots of knowledge in various areas shouldn't allow you to spread bad information on the GG tax or other things that you don't know much about.

Now if you want to actually talk about a law targeting some imported vehicles you could mention the chicken tax instead.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #20
Tajefe Couple

Think you missed the point and what I was saying did not mean to convey all imports paid the tax not even close.
I've opened a new thread to continue the discussion there if you'd like.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552726
BTW I don't know anything about the chicken tax but do know about egg tax
Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #21
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by h422694 View Post
Gas Guzzler tax has NOTHING to do with build location. It is based only on fuel economy. Example would be 2016 Z06. All Corvettes are built in Bowling Green. Z06 auto pays guzzler tax while M7 does not. Fuel economy is pretty close but enough different that the auto is penalized.
We both already agreed that a lot of people pay gas guzzler tax now. We are discussing my 2006 GTO bought new and still setting in my shop.
No debate that cars like the ZL1 pay the tax currently
Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #22
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
We both already agreed that a lot of people pay gas guzzler tax now. We are discussing my 2006 GTO bought new and still setting in my shop.
No debate that cars like the ZL1 pay the tax currently
If you ask the majority of ZL1 owners, then I would wager that most would say that the tax was worth it for getting such a capable car. I wouldn't hesitate if I had to do it again.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #23
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Think you missed the point and what I was saying did not mean to convey all imports paid the tax not even close.
I've opened a new thread to continue the discussion there if you'd like.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552726
BTW I don't know anything about the chicken tax but do know about egg tax
Sorry I guess I missed your point when you basically said you paid a GG tax on your GTO because "it was built in Australia and considered an import.".. so what was your actual point with that statement that I have missed? And not even all GTOs were hit with the tax IIRC (6MT were not I believe but I haven't looked at a new GTO since 2005). Funny that it was hit with an import tax just because it was made in Australia.. I guess the 6MT ones were made elsewhere? Oh.. nope.. they were made in the same place. And let's not forget this other quote from you: "Not to argue but I bought the car new and in 2006 it had everything to do with it being considered an import due to at the time federal regulations on imports."

Is it really that hard for you to just admit that you were wrong? Or wait, maybe it's just an "alternative fact" lol

Also I'm not sure what the point of the new thread is? Just to see who has paid a GG tax before?

Too many cars.. never.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #24
Tajefe Couple

Big enough to say I was wrong happy? If you wish to discuss please go to the new thread
Old 04-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #25
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Wait as a second, you brought this Subject up and now you don't want to admit you are wrong and to discuss it in another thread.
Just wanted to put the this thread back on topic. Didn't avoid the subject, or dodge it or even continue to defend my position when I was convinced wrong and to do my research.
Thanks for the pot shot though. Really make me want to finish off my suspension with your parts.
Anybody want to buy some slightly used parts when I get around to replacing the below-
Bmr adjustable toe rods and lower control arms, suppose I'll run with the bushings for now!
Old 04-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #26
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im thinking the gas engine will be with us at least 20 more years,but not sure we will continue to see current horsepower levels for much longer with the exception of a few sports type cars.history will repeat itself as it did in the 70s when the musclecars were neutered,but this time it will be fuel economy that does in the 500+ horsepower cars.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 PM   #27
Dave-ROR

Quote:
Just wanted to put the this thread back on topic. Didn't avoid the subject, or dodge it or even continue to defend my position when I was convinced wrong and to do my research.
Thanks for the pot shot though. Really make me want to finish off my suspension with your parts.
Anybody want to buy some slightly used parts when I get around to replacing the below-
Bmr adjustable toe rods and lower control arms, suppose I'll run with the bushings for now!
Your posts aren't always the most clear... I even put "I think" in the other topic because I was only 95% sure ha

But if you want to sell superior parts for stock or something else over a comment on a forum then more power to you!

As for the topic, gas engines will be around for quite a while. Many people can barely afford any car, let alone a modern electric vehicle. Given the electric company a bigger monopoly on energy costs seems like such a solid idea too.

Too many cars.. never.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #28
Tajefe Couple

Dave you are right BMR makes great products. Would never buy from someone who made such comments to me though just because my prerogative. Not the greatest sales tactic IMHO. Perhaps I should contact the company directly maybe they'd be interested on how the company is represented to prospective customers. Don't see myself as someone who would do something like that over such a petty comment though. Just seemed totally unnecessary again my opinion.

You are also again right if what you meant that sometimes have trouble conveying my point. I feel to have a solid reason as why that I'll probably never go in to on here though.
To that I took your comment to mean the general public as a whole can't afford electric, surely not the ZL1 owners on here? Much like most latest and greatest eventually I think cost will come down hopefully.