Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Our we witnessing the last of the gasoline engines?
Yes 8 19.51%
No 33 80.49%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Manufacturers last big bang with gas engines

So curious if anybody else thinks we might be seeing the auto manufacturers going out in style before vehicles all go electric? Seems the big three all have extreme power close or surpassing super car levels. Power at levels never seen before. Just wonder if this might be their way of phasing out the gasoline engine in style. Seems like the future is going to be electric and autonomous
Old 04-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Maybe I'm voting from a place with a little bit of subjectivity, but I think we're going to see the gasoline engine around for quite a while still. Just look at the infrastructure built up around delivering fuel - I don't get the feeling we're on the cusp of that going away. It's certainly changing - I think we can expect the trend from auto manufacturers to continue where we see the ongoing proliferation of hybrid vehicles, small displacement turbocharged platforms, etc. I'm hopeful that in the midst of all that the niche market for gratuitous big displacement HP junkie stuff doesn't fad away completely. If the big three from Detroit keep at least 1 or 2 thumping V8s around for the next century I'll be a happy man indeed.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
EV infrastructure doesn’t compare to gas. I’d say it’s at least 20 years before having a solid footprint. Although they will continue to neuter the V8 with cylinder deactivation. Maybe in our childrens lifetime they will see the switch over to EV.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
EV infrastructure doesn’t compare to gas. I’d say it’s at least 20 years before having a solid footprint. Although they will continue to neuter the V8 with cylinder deactivation. Maybe in our childrens lifetime they will see the switch over to EV.
I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to offer it anyways. I am all for cylinder deactivation. I don't like the complexity that it add, more failure points, etc. But honestly, when it's setup right it drives seamlessly, so that part doesn't both me at all. I've had a 5.7 Hemi and a 5.3 LS4 with cylinder deactivation and they both were seamless in operation - if they didn't have exhausts you wouldn't have known it was switching over unless you watched closely. There is a definite MPG increase, and if you tune it to be just a little more aggressive and drive to keep it in 4cyl when possible that grows quite a bit as well. If it helps keep V8 engines a viable option for the mainstream, I think we need to embrace that technology.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to offer it anyways. I am all for cylinder deactivation. I don't like the complexity that it add, more failure points, etc. But honestly, when it's setup right it drives seamlessly, so that part doesn't both me at all. I've had a 5.7 Hemi and a 5.3 LS4 with cylinder deactivation and they both were seamless in operation - if they didn't have exhausts you wouldn't have known it was switching over unless you watched closely. There is a definite MPG increase, and if you tune it to be just a little more aggressive and drive to keep it in 4cyl when possible that grows quite a bit as well. If it helps keep V8 engines a viable option for the mainstream, I think we need to embrace that technology.
Like auto start/stop, just give us a defeat option. Let me turn it off if i'm willing to take the FE hit. Cylinder deactivation is here to stay with DFM.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
No not quite. Electric cars still have a way to go in terms of fueling convenience and availability of re-charging stations. Not counting the fact that we have an overwhelming amount of gas vehicles still on the road. We also have not addressed heavy and/or severe duty vehicles which require gas or diesel fuel.

Although we have made progress with electric and alternative fuels, I still feel that we are a ways off from making these vehicles convenient for daily use.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Like auto start/stop, just give us a defeat option. Let me turn it off if i'm willing to take the FE hit. Cylinder deactivation is here to stay with DFM.
Exactly - make it standard so your corporate fuel eco numbers go up, but give us an option.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Right on!

The V8 is not "neutered" simply by having AFM. Its still a rockin V8! I think GM needs applause for obviously doing all they can to keep the V8 a main option in their sports cars, trucks, and large SUVs, instead of just going with a turbo V6. Not that I really have much against modern factory designed turbo engines either, but V8 versus turbo V6...even if power is the same, I'd go for the V8.

Yes, the V8s are much more complicated than ever so that they can match or even best the overall MPG of the turbo V6, but at least we still get the V8 in the end.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I absolutely with 1000% prejudice hate that auto-stop/start nonsense. Cylinder de-activation is here to stay, no matter the vehicle choice. I'm just glad I drive a boosted vehicle so it's not an issue
Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
Tajefe Couple

It just seems like EV station are ever growing at a substantial rate as are EV's in all models including the new electric truck Rivian built in Detroit. From the super-car market to even the Camaro lots of money is being spent in this direction. "General Motors plans to go 100 percent electric, the Detroit automaker announced Monday." not to mention "Chevrolet Camaro Chief Engineer Al Oppenheiser Reassigned to GM’s Electric Vehicle Group". I doubt the corporations are spending the large sums without making sure there is a market in place. Not that corporation influence markets in any way. lol
Canada has recently implemented a carbon tax on gasoline at the pump. I even remember back when purchasing my 2006 GTO new(still have) a gas guzzler tax was on the invoice for $1400 I think it was. Just because it was built in Australia and considered an import. Perhaps taxes on gasoline engines and petroleum products reach levels only the wealthiest can afford, if at all who knows? Maybe governments step in making driving petroleum engines illegal at some point. "If France’s Environment Minister has his way, the country could join a small but growing list of countries that plan to ban vehicles running on gasoline, diesel or other fossil fuels." Maybe they outlaw refineries all together. Not to mention most are certainly aware that oil is not in endless supply and prices could achieve levels that are no longer affordable if available to the general population at all.
It seems other areas of the world are absolutely recognizing the future of vehicles to be electric. Especially when companies like Shell and others are putting charging stations in place. Some stations can charge your vehicle 80% in around 15 minutes. I've spent more time standing in line at a C-Store. Surely this will continue to improve like the cell phone someday you will just drive onto the charging pad in your garage. Many articles can be found about charging stations containing the below-

"Tesla’s Supercharger network, which currently offers over 3,200 chargers at more than 400 stations across Europe."
"Shell is to install the chargers at 80 of its fuel stations across Europe by 2020"
"Ionity plans 400 electric car charging stations in Europe by end-2020"
Etc., Etc., Etc..

I agree that perhaps we won't see the total replacement in my life time, but do think we are living in a historical time for the transition of transportation. If we choose to admit or deny it is occurring I think we are witnessing the death of gas powered vehicles!
Hope not as I've got a few cars put up that referred to as part of my retirement plan.

I suppose my point would be we live in a world where we feel in control. However more and more everyday the large corporations dictate what we do and what is available. IMHO
In the mean time

Last edited by Tajefe Couple; 04-05-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Tajefe Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:02 AM   #11
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Love the Icon and agree with what your saying but make no mistake America was well aware Electric was the future decades ago. Problem was Corp America and Big Oil wouldn't allow it back then.

Probably about 15 years ago I saw a show called WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR. If anyone DOESNT think Corp America runs the country and calls the shots you should watch it, you will blown away when you see what they did and the cover ups involved...

They had a fleet of electric cars out there in the 90's for over 5 years, no one could buy them and they would only lease them to the rich and famous. After pressure from Big Oil and Corp America 6 Years later Chevy bought the Battery Mfg's and closed all the plants, recalled every single car (outright went to the peoples house and took them). Put them on Car Carriers, and undercover camera crews filmed them destroying each and everyone (even BRAND NEW vehicles with 0 miles).

The Big 3 were all involved, over 5,000 vehicles were destroyed, and Ca Laws changed so they could kill the laws that were passed prior that would force The Big 3 to go electric. Although Big Oil may not have the power they use to have it's only a matter of time before Corp America figures out how they make all the money by overcharging us for charging. Then it'll happen. And there will be Hot Rod Electic Cars so life will go on, there's already Electric Dragsters, Drag Bikes, Formula One Cars, etc....

Personally I think I'll be driving 500 to 1000 HP V8's for decades to come and then I'll die so I'm good
Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
Tajefe Couple

Thanks Rob, I did catch that show some time back on Amazon maybe, was an interesting story for sure.

Was watching the latest Barrett Jackson auction and saw where Craig Jackson said something interesting. Paraphrasing he said that get these cars while you can and put them up. We are living in an incredible time of muscle but the electric car is coming and it won't be long before they stop making the muscle. Again paraphrasing but that was the basic message. Sorry couldn't remember his comment word for word. Sales pitch perhaps, but found it interesting coming from him.

Last edited by Tajefe Couple; 04-20-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Tajefe Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #13
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
I even remember back when purchasing my 2006 GTO new(still have) a gas guzzler tax was on the invoice for $1400 I think it was. Just because it was built in Australia and considered an import.
The gas guzzler tax has nothing to do with where a car was built. My camaro and every other zl1 out there has a gas guzzler tax as well.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 AM   #14
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
The gas guzzler tax has nothing to do with where a car was built. My camaro and every other zl1 out there has a gas guzzler tax as well.
Not to argue but I bought the car new and in 2006 it had everything to do with it being considered an import due to at the time federal regulations on imports.
Still have the original window sticker could dig up if you'd like. I also don't doubt you paid the tax but I defiantly wanted to know why the added cost when purchasing the car.
Page 4 of the attached federal gas guzzler tax document in 2006 shows the GTO with all the other imports.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf P1004EY9.pdf (255.0 KB, 139 views)