Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-24-2021, 10:59 PM   #1
partylyk1999

Drives: 2012 Nissan Altima
Question New (to be) Chevy Camaro owner - transmission shudder issues? Go for manual instead?

Hey guys, I currently own a Nissan altima that had defective CVT problems. There was a lawsuit and Nissan didn't pay me, so screw them. I recently fell in love with the Camaro and am interested in the 2016-2019 1LT or 2LT RS package. Preferably V6 but open to the 2.0L turbo!

However, I've been reading a lot about A8 transmission shudder issues. Now that I'm traumatized about transmissions, I just have two questions:

1. How prevalent is this and has anyone permanently fixed it?
2. I've never driven manual, but I'm willing to learn. Are there any shudder issues (or any other problems) with the manual version?
Bonus question - which do you prefer?
Bonus bonus question - I'm buying used, somewhere between 30k-50k miles. Any tips on what to beware of with camaros?

Thanks so much guys!

EDIT: Wow, you guys are awesome. I tried to post on r/cars (reddit) and got banned for asking about a "buying" question. Thanks so much for everyone's input, my friend just showed me how to drive manual in his Miata yesterday, and I have to say - it was wicked cool. I'm found a black 2017 1LT 2.0T manual on vroom with 40k miles and I think I might pull the trigger on that. Again, I appreciate all the reassurance!

Last edited by partylyk1999; 02-25-2021 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Solved - manual it is, and thank you guys.
partylyk1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:25 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Hey partylyk1999, to the forums.

In a nutshell, check out this thread about the A8 issue, it appears to be completely manageable. If you buy from a dealership, you can make sure they address the problem, and in fact you can use their handling of this as a test to find out which one will support you best in the future.

My A8 is tuned and the tune has shown it as the awesome and strong transmission it is, shifting smooth in tour mode and being a beast in sport/track, with near perfectly timed up and downshifts, the only snag is the relatively slow reaction time to paddle input.

With that said, you may want to give a strong consideration to the M6, it's a sturdy, very high quality Tremec TR-6060 unit with no lift shifting, and it would definitely give you an awesome driving experience.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:19 AM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I have a 2018 1LT V6 with the A8, and had the shudder about a year ago. The latest fluid and flush procedure seems to have fixed the problem.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:08 AM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Shudder issue aside, I've never met anyone regret buying a manual transmission Camaro (or anything for that matter).

Plenty of people regret buying the automatic when they could have bought the manual.

I'd say get the manual if it's something you're willing to learn properly. Once you master it you'll never want to go back. You will inevitably find yourself going out for drives for no good reason other than to simply drive your car
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 AM   #5
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
I had the A8 shudder as well around 20K miles in my SS. Flush fixed it, but I didn’t want to take long term chances. So that & other reasons I went newer with A10.

Maybe others can chime in on the manual in the V6, but if there is anyway you can swing a SS I would say go that route. The LT1 architecture seams to be easier to work on than the LGX.

Just remember, buy once, cry once.

My .02

Last edited by gtfoxy; 02-25-2021 at 08:21 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
If you are willing to learn how to drive manual, I would recommend going that route. It makes cars that much more fun, especially sports cars. Also, the Tremec (our 6 speed manual transmissions) are built like a tank.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #7
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I would not risk that a8, way too many horror stories. Some members have claimed to have finally gotten a permanent fixed, but not others. Id either go with the newer a10 and if not then m6.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
If you're not driving in stop and go traffic buy the manual. I imagine most 4 and 6 cylinder Camaro's would have been ordered with an automatic but hopefully you can find one with a stick.
Good luck and welcome.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #9
Gary Frank

Drives: 07 Vette 19 Camaro92 350 S10
i had 2018 A8. I t had shudder issues. Dealer fixed with fluid change at no charge. It solved the problem. However did not like driving the automatic. I am a manual person. So I bought a 2019 M6. Both great cars. Good luck.
Gary Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #10
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about the Altima.

As for transmission, the A10 is supposed to be a thing of beauty. If you learn to drive stick (which anyone can do) it is a driver experience like no other with a sports car...that and you'll be better prepared for the Zombie apocalypse!

Ultimately, I'd say be honest about your personality and needs. If you do A LOT of commuting, and bumper to bumper traffic, than get the Automatic. If you don't, and have some fun twisties between home and work, then by all means get the manual.

Have the dealer or a friend teach you. Years ago, I bought my first V8 Camaro, and insisted it was manual. The dealer taught me in minutes. The trick to remember, is with an automatic, you drive with your right foot. With a manual, you drive with your left foot. Best of luck.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #11
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Not to be snide to those who don't like driving stick in traffic, but I would actually like to buffer the idea that "if you drive in traffic get an automatic"

I've been driving nothing but stick since 1997. The minor annoyance it might be in heavy traffic is more than a fair trade-off for the fun of rowing up and down through the gears on a twisty road or accelerating on to the freeway.

Besides, when you master it and get the feel of the car, you can actually learn to keep it in one gear - or at least do much less up and down shifting - with the flow of the stop-and-go by feathering the gas on and off and learning to use the engine brake instead of the service brake.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #12
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Not to be snide to those who don't like driving stick in traffic, but I would actually like to buffer the idea that "if you drive in traffic get an automatic"

I've been driving nothing but stick since 1997. The minor annoyance it might be in heavy traffic is more than a fair trade-off for the fun of rowing up and down through the gears on a twisty road or accelerating on to the freeway.

Besides, when you master it and get the feel of the car, you can actually learn to keep it in one gear - or at least do much less up and down shifting - with the flow of the stop-and-go by feathering the gas on and off and learning to use the engine brake instead of the service brake.
Good point... but thinking a new manual driver might regret the decision quickly if he commute's in heavy traffic. But the OP lives in Austin, not LA.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #13
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
A vs M is very subjective. Is this going to be your daily? Will you mind the extra work required to drive a M all the time, especially if it's a daily? Since you say you'd have to "learn" to drive a stick, I'd suggest learning before you commit to a $40k car only to find out you don't like having to shift all the time.

When I was younger, I only wanted sticks. Over time that changed as I got sick of the hassle all the time. I'll get bagged on here for that view I'm sure as people have definite opinions on this subject. I'm a sailor too, and it's the same argument in boating circles with props and anchors...everyone's opinion is the best, and if you don't agree, there's something wrong with you!

It's your car that you will be driving, a lot, or a little. Can't go wrong either way. Get what works best for your driving style and preferences, and long-term considerations.

As far as the A8, ignore the horror stories from the past. GM has figured this one out, and the fluid flush fixes the problem. I have 1st hand knowledge. Wife's '16 CTS started doing it at 40k miles. Went STRAIGHT to the Caddy dealer for the flush and it's fixed. This is not an issue you want to kick down the road as the damage can become permanent if not mitigated quickly. My SS only has 4K miles and never did it. I took it to the dealer last Fall and asked for the TSB (18-NA-355) to be done. They did it, no charge under my still-effective powertrain warranty. Most '16s will still have some of that left, and virtually all '17+'s definitely should. The TSB is free if still under PT warranty and about $450 if not. Some dealers may give you a hassle over doing it, but it clearly states "verification beyond customer complaint not required", which is how I had my SS done (as a preventative measure...it didn't do it but I told them it did). If buying from a GM dealer, insist the TSB be done as part of the deal. A good friend bought a 16' CTS last year and I told him to insist the dealer do it as part of the deal. The dealer was happy to comply. Check the Carfax for past indications that PO had the issue. Maybe pony up for an extra year or two of transmission warranty only with the dealer as part of the deal; "hey I really want to buy this car, but I have concerns over the A8 shudder issue. Cover me til 2023 on that and I'll buy it".

Lastly, make sure you understand what to look for with this issue and thoroughly test drive the car. Tons of threads here on it.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum! You'll love your Camaro if you get one!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
If you're not driving in stop and go traffic buy the manual.
This is a real factor, particularly when learning. Might really make you regret going with a manual.
OTOH, manual trannies are a dying breed. Less than 10% of muscle cars ship with manuals, and now 0% of new corvettes! So, dive in while you still can!

Note with the old A8's that shipped with the original fluid... flush does not always fix the shudder. It all depends on how much wear occurred before the flush was performed.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1lt, manual, shudder, transmission