Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2018 Zl1
How in the hell do the air bags not deploy??

Got nailed while sitting in traffic. How did my airbags not deploy? And yeah im ****ing crushed over this and a bit sore.

Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Because it doesn’t appear you had a frontal collision? But you didn’t provide details, and only a single Bullet distant picture. But sorry for your loss!
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:17 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Sorry for this. Control what you can control. It’s happens. In 5 years this won’t matter. Everything happens for a reason. This might have saved you from something worse happening later that day. It’s all good. You’ll come back faster and better.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Because it doesn’t appear you had a frontal collision? But you didn’t provide details, and only a single Bullet distant picture. But sorry for your loss!
Looks like he was hit hard in the front drivers side, bad enough to damage suspension and fender on that side. Seems like airbag should have deployed.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I had a similar collision in my '14 Subaru WRX, airbags didn't deploy even though my head hit the side window hard enough to be a little disoriented after the impact. Car was totaled, front drivers wheel smashed.

I think airbags must take a pretty significant impact to deploy.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
Screaminz2002

Ok well she from witnesses was flying in the left lane. Typically people here do 50-80 depending on traffic and my direction was stopped. The traffic in her lane slowed and instead of hitting the car in front of her she skidded and swerved right into my fender. I never saw it coming and only heard it. I dont remember the hit and only the aftermath. It sheered the lower control arm and ripped it out. The right front tire will not turn and skidded onto the flatbed. Rears rolled free. Impact was right in front of the door panel. And I mean by inches. Pushed me 3-4 feet onto the shoulder. Her right front was destroyed and neither car would move. Not sure what else I need to say. My jaw hurts like I hit something but no airbags deployed? Either GM has the airbags dialed in or something went wrong. I am interested to see the recorder data here. Why did nothing deploy and is this an issue or was this a freak hit in the right place?
Old 01-15-2021, 12:05 AM   #7
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminz2002 View Post
Ok well she from witnesses was flying in the left lane. Typically people here do 50-80 depending on traffic and my direction was stopped. The traffic in her lane slowed and instead of hitting the car in front of her she skidded and swerved right into my fender. I never saw it coming and only heard it. I dont remember the hit and only the aftermath. It sheered the lower control arm and ripped it out. The right front tire will not turn and skidded onto the flatbed. Rears rolled free. Impact was right in front of the door panel. And I mean by inches. Pushed me 3-4 feet onto the shoulder. Her right front was destroyed and neither car would move. Not sure what else I need to say. My jaw hurts like I hit something but no airbags deployed? Either GM has the airbags dialed in or something went wrong. I am interested to see the recorder data here. Why did nothing deploy and is this an issue or was this a freak hit in the right place?
Apologies, wish ya a speedy recovery. I was thinking the pics didn’t look like it would require a frontal collision airbag, but it sounds like your curtain bags should have definitely deployed.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:32 AM   #8
Screaminz2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Apologies, wish ya a speedy recovery. I was thinking the pics didn’t look like it would require a frontal collision airbag, but it sounds like your curtain bags should have definitely deployed.

Thats what I was thinking. No apologies required. I didnt elaborate and I am under the influence of miller because I am hurting and sad. I was in my teens the last time I loved a car this much and I have had an excessive number trying to find that bond again. Well into the high 30's with some cool stuff in between. This was a bond and my retirement car. Whatever faults just fit me. Aside from the emotional attachment, I am simply curious while looking just at the pic, the airbags didnt deploy. I would think any pedestrian car I would have been eating dust from everywhere. Yet I have seen pics of these cars popping with a rough track hit. Did I get a rare hit on the tire that didnt trigger or is there a problem with the side airbags. The guy behind me that didnt leave pointed out a couple feet back and I would have been in a ambulance. Yeah bud no airbags. Looking at the car I think he is right. Either GM cut it seriously close or something failed. I respect what most say on here so let me know. Not enough or a problem. Wont hurt my feelings. Just give me your opinions.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:52 AM   #9
Screaminz2002

Few more pics

Old 01-15-2021, 05:05 AM   #10
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Typically that area does not have an airbag sensor, as the damage did not to crumple up into the engine bay much it is very possible it didn't rattle one up enough to pop it, there are airbag sensors in the doors, and had the impact been more in the door you would of seen an airbag go off.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #11
G61LE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 // 1LE
Why do air bags sometimes fail to deploy during a crash?

The activation of an air bag in a crash is dependent on several important factors including: the characteristics of the crash (e.g., speed, other vehicle(s) involved, impact direction, etc.); the individual vehicle air bag system's design strategy; and the crash sensor locations. Air bags are not intended to deploy in all crashes. There may be circumstances when an air bag does not deploy. Some possible examples follow:

The crash conditions may be sufficiently moderate where an air bag would not be needed to protect an occupant wearing a seat belt. The seat belt may provide sufficient protection from a head or chest injury in such a crash.
Many advanced frontal air bag systems automatically turn off the passenger air bag when the vehicle detects a small-stature passenger or child, child in a child restraint system, or no occupant in the right front passenger seat.
Some advanced side air bag systems will similarly shut off the passenger side air bag system when detecting a small-stature passenger or child in the right front passenger seat who is positioned too close to the side air bag.
Some vehicles, such as pick-up trucks or sports cars without rear seats, may have a manual ON-OFF switch for the front passenger air bag. If the manual ON-OFF switch is positioned in the "off" position, the front passenger air bag will not deploy.
An air bag may also not deploy or work properly if the vehicle's air bag readiness light is illuminated. When illuminated, the air bag readiness light warns consumers of potential problems with a vehicle's air bag system. (If an air bag readiness light is illuminated, the vehicle should be serviced without delay.)
In used vehicles, a possible reason for the air bag not to deploy is that the air bag may not have been replaced after a previous crash. NHTSA recommends that 1) Air bags always be replaced after a deployment and 2) If, for any reason, a deployed air bag is not replaced, this information about the non-functioning air bag should be disclosed to the new owner upon the sale of the vehicle.
G61LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:31 AM   #12
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Things like this make my blood boil. My mother told me in my youth, “it’s not how good of a driver you are but how bad everyone else is.” I literally feel sometimes that I am dodging cars. With that being said sometimes you have Zero control of a situation. I pray that God heals you and restores your vehicle to new or provides you with another.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Idiot drivers out there and you see them everyday. Hopefully your baby can be repaired but you won’t know until an insurance adjuster looks at it. I had a accident in my 6 month old 2016 2SS in the right front that caused the side airbags to deploy but didn’t total the car because it was so new and was repaired. I kept it until 2019 when I found and bought my used 2017 ZL1 because of issues popping up from the repairs that were costing me money to have fixed. Good luck and glad you weren’t seriously hurt and it could have been much worse.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #14
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Wow glad you arent seriously hurt.

If this car is not repaired im sure you can get another..Doesnt make it any better saying it I know, but itll all play out for you.

Let us know how you make out.
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote