Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #29
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
Sorry, an OEM solution for us LT1 peeps that don't have $65K to drop on a ZL1
why not buy a used low milage ZL1 instead for $45K? And sell the other Camaro to Car Max?
Old 03-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #30
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
What is an average price of a good SC install? Near $10k installed with fuel and such?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #31
xqwisit23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Vert
I have been intrigued as of late to SC the SS but pricing creeps up there real quick. I don't have crazy hp dreams but would like to get just below 600 as i daily drive the car in the summer. I prefer the look of stock instead of adding a whipple or magnuson. I reached out to ADM and got a price back of $7900 for an entire system with a new ZL1 supercharger, LT4 injectors, high pressure pump. I would still need someone to install and tune.
xqwisit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #32
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
why not buy a used low milage ZL1 instead for $45K? And sell the other Camaro to Car Max?
I haven’t seen a $45K 6gen ZL1 in a long time. $60K is more in the ball park for a used one.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #33
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
What is an average price of a good SC install? Near $10k installed with fuel and such?
At least 10k to start if you add any extra's. This is why i never went F/I. Once you add headers and exhaust it can be 14k or more. And no more warranty. One bad tune and BOOM.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:01 AM   #34
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
I will have to agree with Fraxum on this. I was looking at going down the s/c mod rabbit hole too with my 2016 2SS but did the figures on the costs, etc and decided against it. Then one day searching on Cars.com I found a slightly used ZL1 with a decent price and the rest is history. The loan for the ZL1 was what I was going to pay to mod my SS that worked out for me. Everyone’s situation is different though!
Old 03-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #35
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I will have to agree with Fraxum on this. I was looking at going down the s/c mod rabbit hole too with my 2016 2SS but did the figures on the costs, etc and decided against it. Then one day searching on Cars.com I found a slightly used ZL1 with a decent price and the rest is history. The loan for the ZL1 was what I was going to pay to mod my SS that worked out for me. Everyone’s situation is different though!
You're correct that everyone's situation is different, Greg. It should be pointed out, however, that supercharging an SS doesn't have to lead one down a rabbit hole, although it almost always seems to. You can slap your choice of blower on an SS, pulley it to 6 - 8 psi with no fuel mods other than possibly an LT4 lowside pump or JMS and make ZL1 power with near OEM reliability. No warranty though but not an issue with early gen 6 cars.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #36
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Because a 45k ZL1 with reasonable mileage that is not a rental is a Unicorn in 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
At least 10k to start if you add any extra's. This is why i never went F/I. Once you add headers and exhaust it can be 14k or more. And no more warranty. One bad tune and BOOM.
I provided an example that could be done for less then 8k using OEM parts. LT4 supercharger kits can be had for around 4500 bucks. Install from a competent shop/builder 1500.00. Tune from somebody competent should be in the 600-1000 range. That still leaves you money for upgrades. What you shouldn't do is go magazine or internet shop the highest priced parts at MSRP.

Prime example... Whipple kits are 7k msrp. Likely can be had cheaper. I bought mine for 5500.00 with Hptuners. I sold the HPt because I already had it and ended up into my Whipple for 5k. So I did Whipple and Fuel system upgrade for what it cost to buy a Whipple at MSRP. Shop smart, look for deals, and you can save a lot of money.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 03-04-2021 at 09:33 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #37
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
The other option is to go looking at junk yards for totaled ZL1s and just snatch up the supercharger lol

When I was in my early 20s and had my first car, an '85 Regal, I actually loved going to the local junkyards to find stuff for it. Just walk into the back of the yard with your tools, pull whatever you wanted or needed off whatever was back there, bring it back up to the cashier, and you paid for it and went on your way. Many times working on your car right there in the parking lot.

Those days are gone I'm sure.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #38
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Because a 45k ZL1 with reasonable mileage that is not a rental is a Unicorn in 2021.

I provided an example that could be done for less then 8k using OEM parts. LT4 supercharger kits can be had for around 4500 bucks. Install from a competent shop/builder 1500.00. Tune from somebody competent should be in the 600-1000 range. That still leaves you money for upgrades. What you shouldn't do is go magazine or internet shop the highest priced parts at MSRP.

Prime example... Whipple kits are 7k msrp. Likely can be had cheaper. I bought mine for 5500.00 with Hptuners. I sold the HPt because I already had it and ended up into my Whipple for 5k. So I did Whipple and Fuel system upgrade for what it cost to buy a Whipple at MSRP. Shop smart, look for deals, and you can save a lot of money.
Hey KingLT1, there is a 2017 White ZL1 for sale in Shreveport La at Morgan GMC-Buick now for a little over $46,000. 6 speed and decent mileage for a 2017.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #39
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:

I will call my shop and ask them what a bare bone set up is.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #40
xqwisit23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Vert
Quote:

King,
Is this kind of what you are referring to? Is an LT4 Fuel pump and injectors required as well?

https://www.tpsmotorsports.com/tps-m...camaro-ss.html
xqwisit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #41
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I haven’t seen a $45K 6gen ZL1 in a long time. $60K is more in the ball park for a used one.
True but there are some, here is one:

2017 ZL1

This one looks exactly like my 2018 A10.

Still to me a smarter buy than adding an SC to an SS. And adding a SC does not increase the SS resale. And many will not go near it.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #42
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
Definitely not sure where you all got your numbers but my LT1 was $30,500 before taxes so even if I'm 15K in on a supercharger I'm still in 1SS 1LE territory.

What I was trying to get at is if GM had a kit to slap on an LT4 charger, tune, and maybe some minor fueling upgrades it would be cheaper due to them buying the superchargers and other parts in bulk and they have a lot more negotiating powers with the suppliers than the aftermarket does. If they could keep it to around 10K out the door I think it'd be a hit for those that want more power for their truck/SUV or for the Camaro/Corvette folks that didn't want to invest the money at the time for the ZL1/Z06 but got a good tax return this year. I'd also think a GM product would have a better chance at improving resale vs an aftermarket one.

Very well said. And i agree.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote