#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-04-2021, 04:25 AM   #29
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
PS4S 295/30/30 front and R888R 325/30/20 rear. Love them. I will continue with this set up.
Sounds like a good setup with the summer performance tire up front. I dunno if you ever had the R888Rs in all four corners but is the noise less drastic with only running them in the rear?

Are you using this setup for the same reasons I was?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #30
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Sounds like a good setup with the summer performance tire up front. I dunno if you ever had the R888Rs in all four corners but is the noise less drastic with only running them in the rear?

Are you using this setup for the same reasons I was?
Never did the Rs all around as I don’t track the car. PS4S in the front should last about 15-20k and the Rs about 6-8k. I only drive the car 3 days a week in good weather only. The front grip great in the turns and the tears are great for both the curves and the straights. Car makes over 700whp so need the traction. I’m not going to run drag radials on the street as that will eliminate the ability for hard turns and spirited driving. The combo is the best of both worlds. Nothing wrong with running a different set up front than back. The only time you want to run the same is if all 4 are the same size and you are going to rotate. That’s not happening in my case.

As far as noise, the rears are loud but does not bother me one bit. My car has cam and headers without cats so loudness is not what I’m worried about.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #31
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Nice thanks for sharing. A lot of people seem to use the R888Rs for high HP exotics so it must be a good sticky tire. Ever ran them in the wet?
It appears that you really want the R888Rs even when you've been given better suggestions for your application so you might as well just go with the R888R. In the Hellcat world, almost no one runs R888Rs, the Nitto 555R2 is king for a street driven tire for maximum acceleration in a straight line. Hellcat's tend to make a good bit more power than ZL1s so the need for maximum traction is greater there than a ZL1 so you might be able to get away with a R888R if you can stand the noise and no drivability in the rain. For guys that track their cars on a road course, I can understand the compromise using an R888R over a 555R2 since handling would be top priority, but for straight line acceleration nothing beats the 555R2 without going with a full blown track drag radial like the MT ET Street R. The reason you see some of these exotics using R888Rs is because they want to look cool, and many of them want a tire that has maximum handling characteristics too since that's a key part of most exotics. The modified exotics end up using drag radials anyway when on the drag strip.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #32
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
It appears that you really want the R888Rs even when you've been given better suggestions for your application so you might as well just go with the R888R. In the Hellcat world, almost no one runs R888Rs, the Nitto 555R2 is king for a street driven tire for maximum acceleration in a straight line. Hellcat's tend to make a good bit more power than ZL1s so the need for maximum traction is greater there than a ZL1 so you might be able to get away with a R888R if you can stand the noise and no drivability in the rain. For guys that track their cars on a road course, I can understand the compromise using an R888R over a 555R2 since handling would be top priority, but for straight line acceleration nothing beats the 555R2 without going with a full blown track drag radial like the MT ET Street R. The reason you see some of these exotics using R888Rs is because they want to look cool, and many of them want a tire that has maximum handling characteristics too since that's a key part of most exotics. The modified exotics end up using drag radials anyway when on the drag strip.
I agree...but I also believe the main reason why many go with R888 is because they have a lot of different sizes that fit the wheels they run. The 555r2 is the first actual drag radial that offers a lot of size options, where in the past you were limited on size selection.

Quote:
Nice and yea the 555r2 benefits with the higher speed rating as well and not bad for 8k miles plus too. How much power is your modded SS making? When you brake stall at 2k rpms and rolled out, at what speed were you able to confidently punch it and hook? Say maybe around 10, 20mph then hit it and the tires grabbed well from there?

It made 600whp in 5th gear before I dropped pulley size and added a big gulp. It traps 135 full weight in the 1/4. Not fast but decently quick...
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #33
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I agree...but I also believe the main reason why many go with R888 is because they have a lot of different sizes that fit the wheels they run. The 555r2 is the first actual drag radial that offers a lot of size options, where in the past you were limited on size selection.

It made 600whp in 5th gear before I dropped pulley size and added a big gulp. It traps 135 full weight in the 1/4. Not fast but decently quick...
135mph in the 1/4 is nothing to sneeze at for a street driven car. Much above that and you really start to get into the territory of needing a MT ET Street R to even utilize the power.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #34
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
135mph in the 1/4 is nothing to sneeze at for a street driven car. Much above that and you really start to get into the territory of needing a MT ET Street R to even utilize the power.
Agree...While I love reading and seeing all the big HP builds, in the end a Supercharged SS or ZL1 mildly modified is plenty for a street driven car like you said. Any more power then ideally you need to change to a spongy sidewall tire and/or raise the roll speeds. 650-700whp or up to 135 trap speeds seems to be right at that line. My goal was to touch 140 full weight on the 20's but I don't think it's doable on a no prep surface without going full drag pack and possibly a little WR.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #35
Ls_Camaro

Quote:

Z Oh 6, from one Hellcat owner to another… I get what you’re saying…It doesn’t hurt to ask questions from folks who have real life experiences with these tires. Some Hellcat owners have put on a set of R888R and swear by them. I heard good things about the 555R2 tires as well. With my application sure I’m more inclined to the straight line than corners right now which makes more sense for the Nittos but I have seen some who preferred the R888R over the Nitto drag radial for more traction in the straights and vice versa.

The 555R2 tires seemed to work better for you than the previous 555R and for some it’s the other way around. This kinda goes back to my supplement analogy I mentioned in the earlier posts. Also worth mentioning I’m sure there are different factors involved for reasons why some had better traction in certain tires over others.

In this thread some have already said they really liked the R888Rs while for others it didn’t seem to work all that well. Obviously not one tire works best for everyone and some will say traction was better with this set of tires for them as opposed to a different set of tires which may have worked better for another person. So basically the conclusion is try both 555R2 and R888R and see which works best for the individual.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:36 AM   #36
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Never did the Rs all around as I don’t track the car. PS4S in the front should last about 15-20k and the Rs about 6-8k. I only drive the car 3 days a week in good weather only. The front grip great in the turns and the tears are great for both the curves and the straights. Car makes over 700whp so need the traction. I’m not going to run drag radials on the street as that will eliminate the ability for hard turns and spirited driving. The combo is the best of both worlds. Nothing wrong with running a different set up front than back. The only time you want to run the same is if all 4 are the same size and you are going to rotate. That’s not happening in my case.

As far as noise, the rears are loud but does not bother me one bit. My car has cam and headers without cats so loudness is not what I’m worried about.

Nice good to know thanks.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:07 AM   #37
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Thanks for the informative detailed write up. I agree I have heard many say the Toyos prevail as far as a good handling and straight line tire. Since never having them I don’t know exactly how bad the noise is from inside the car. But again only having a set in the rear may lessen that to considerable degree. Maybe it’s bearable for some and for some maybe it’s too ridiculous, I really don’t know depends on the person I guess and what is acceptable to them. Who knows the Toyos could probably hook so good to the point that you can say screw the noise.

By the way have you ever been caught in the rain with them? If you know you have to drive cautiously and be smart and it still held up decently then ok but even if you are driving carefully as is and it’s a white knuckle holding the steering wheel praying you make it home alive type situation then I duno. Although maybe only a set in the rear will lessen that risk with a good tire like the Michelins PS4S or Continental ECS tires up front like I mentioned to channel out the water as best it can.
Ya in the rain I slow to 30 to 45 on the hwy when it puddles or water in channels made from cars driving in same spots. If its damp no big deal.

I have headers cam and borla ATAK I can hear them over that. In fact on the hwy sometimes I think my car is making a funny noise and have to stop or slow to listen.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #38
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Agree...While I love reading and seeing all the big HP builds, in the end a Supercharged SS or ZL1 mildly modified is plenty for a street driven car like you said. Any more power then ideally you need to change to a spongy sidewall tire and/or raise the roll speeds. 650-700whp or up to 135 trap speeds seems to be right at that line. My goal was to touch 140 full weight on the 20's but I don't think it's doable on a no prep surface without going full drag pack and possibly a little WR.
Yep, exactly the reason I stopped where I did with my car. I was tempted to go further having come from a 1000+hp Hellcat, but I got tired of never being able to use the power in the Hellcat, I just went too far without chasing power numbers. I vowed not to do the same with this ZL1. Its right around 800hp to the crank and it still hooks pretty darn good on street tires so its actually useable power so I'm right where I want to be.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #39
Z OH 6

Quote:
Z Oh 6, from one Hellcat owner to another… I get what you’re saying…It doesn’t hurt to ask questions from folks who have real life experiences with these tires. Some Hellcat owners have put on a set of R888R and swear by them. I heard good things about the 555R2 tires as well. With my application sure I’m more inclined to the straight line than corners right now which makes more sense for the Nittos but I have seen some who preferred the R888R over the Nitto drag radial for more traction in the straights and vice versa.

The 555R2 tires seemed to work better for you than the previous 555R and for some it’s the other way around. This kinda goes back to my supplement analogy I mentioned in the earlier posts. Also worth mentioning I’m sure there are different factors involved for reasons why some had better traction in certain tires over others.

In this thread some have already said they really liked the R888Rs while for others it didn’t seem to work all that well. Obviously not one tire works best for everyone and some will say traction was better with this set of tires for them as opposed to a different set of tires which may have worked better for another person. So basically the conclusion is try both 555R2 and R888R and see which works best for the individual.
OK. You've been offered the best available options so now its your choice. Different tires for different purposes.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #40
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I ran R888 on road course HPDE before, they are R comp designed for circuit track but are only okay compared to the older Toyo RA1. So I think the issue with R888R for street is they're designed to stick optimally at track temps when they get/stay very hot and gooey. And R888R are not a drag tire.

For an R comp, R888R perform well at normal street temp but it's almost impossible to heat them to circuit track temp on the street.

555R2 are probably designed to work well at street temp and then much better at strip once heated with burnouts.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #41
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Quote:
Nice thanks for sharing. A lot of people seem to use the R888Rs for high HP exotics so it must be a good sticky tire. Ever ran them in the wet?
I have. They're fine as long as it's not standing water. If it's light rain or the road is damp they okay to drive on normally. Standing water is dangerous and pouring rain requires hazards at 40 mph to be on the safe side.

Not just exotics, AWD cars with lots of power and many modded cars that do roll racing. I wouldn't buy into others saying there are better options than the R888R for maximum straight line performance and maintaining impeccable canyon carving ability. If you ever need to drive in the rain you certainly can. I highly doubt anyone will be driving their car hard in the rain on the streets so I don't think it should be a big concern.

You can youtube some comparison tests on the tires mentioned in this thread, but at the very least I can tell you I've never looked back after getting the R888R and there is a reason why they're usually on backorder.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #42
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post

For an R comp, R888R perform well at normal street temp but it's almost impossible to heat them to circuit track temp on the street.

What is the temp they needed to be heated to for best performance?
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote