Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #239
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
As for Microsoft Office, you can still buy it once and keep it forever. Microsoft Office 2019 is like that. The trouble is that at one point, the support will stop and you miss out on new features. 365 keeps everything updated with the latest features, at a continuous cost. In the end I would still prefer the buy-once model, but it will depend on the specific software we are talking about here.

Sent from toaster or something
365 is one of the best deals going IMO. $99/year and you get all the apps plus 1TB of cloud storage. And you can share your subscription with up to 5 other people who also get 1TB of cloud too, not to mention putting it on all your own devices while not using up those 5.

I hope cars never go to a subscription model, though!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #240
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
365 is one of the best deals going IMO. $99/year and you get all the apps plus 1TB of cloud storage. And you can share your subscription with up to 5 other people who also get 1TB of cloud too, not to mention putting it on all your own devices while not using up those 5.
I suppose it could be a good deal if you're always going to need (or at least use) all of the new stuff that gets added. If not, then there isn't nearly as much value in it

There's more - sometimes MS updates end up taking something away. I can no longer create the trend line formula in Excel for a 6th degree polynomial; some update to something has limited that to 4th degree polynomial formulas. I had to rework a 13.3 MB workbook as a result.

My point here being that I would expect losing something to be a clear possibility with any subscription-based technology. Whether that ends up being by direct intent or because the programming team simply overlooked something would be irrelevant.

Norm
Old 02-16-2021, 08:39 AM   #241
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I would still be using LibreOffice if my company didn't offer personal MS365 subscriptions for all employees to use as we see fit. I still prefer FLOSS software, but if its free I'll use an MS product.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #242
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
That's why I bought my forever Camaro in 2018.
Me too in 2020. No worries for me. I know I will be dead by the time i will not be able to drive my LT1 any more.

The planet earth needs us to start worrying about her. IF you believe in science rather than politicians (both parties until recently) you will understand what is happening.

Think for yourself!! Look into the scientific facts if you are on the fence about this. The handwriting is on our planet.

If you are not into really looking for facts, then just try to be happy the way you are, you have a lot of company to comiserate with.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #243
volnedan

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 6MT
If they can make an EV with a manual transmission and a realistic engine noise and vibration, count me in. Otherwise, I'll buy a used ZL1 when my lease is up.
volnedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #244
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by volnedan View Post
If they can make an EV with a manual transmission and a realistic engine noise and vibration, count me in. Otherwise, I'll buy a used ZL1 when my lease is up.
manual transmissions is how most diy ev's rolled. some current ones are computer controlled manuals to save weight over hydraulic automatics and they tend to be very few geared (sometimes just 2 gears or no gears).

I wouldn't hold your breath on the future of 3rd pedal manuals ...regardless of the car type.. (the market for them is only shrinking and is already too small to really care for mass produced cars) but definitely not a bunch of gears to row thru with electrics. They simply dont need them so it wouldn't be much of a lost experience not being forced to change them.

edit (just 13% of vehicles are even offered with manual out of the over 300 different models on sale... and only 1% of all vehicles sold in the us were manuals) It's an all but dead option living on borrowed time no matter how fast cars convert to EV.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #245
Kemo Savy
Banned

Drives: Make it a 6 speed in SS trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
The way things are now...the question should be ..America's Future.

The next Gen Camaro will be built and imported from China.
Kemo Savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #246
KindaOrange

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Dogg these people are hilarious with this "I believe in science" mess. Lets believe science then; much of the middle US is out of power rn cuz renewables aren't reliable, cost significantly more than a gas plant, & put out humourously low amounts of power.

Solutions? Lets rip down every forrest on Earth & replace them with solar panels? We'll get 1/5 the electrons, destroy wildlife habitats, & erase the oxygen in the atmosphere. They love the left so much they're actually IGNORING SCIENCE, while knowing nothing about the power grid. I do this full-time professionally. They truely don't live in reality.
KindaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #247
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
manual transmissions is how most diy ev's rolled. some current ones are computer controlled manuals to save weight over hydraulic automatics and they tend to be very few geared (sometimes just 2 gears or no gears).

I wouldn't hold your breath on the future of 3rd pedal manuals ...regardless of the car type.. (the market for them is only shrinking and is already too small to really care for mass produced cars) but definitely not a bunch of gears to row thru with electrics. They simply dont need them so it wouldn't be much of a lost experience not being forced to change them.

edit (just 13% of vehicles are even offered with manual out of the over 300 different models on sale... and only 1% of all vehicles sold in the us were manuals) It's an all but dead option living on borrowed time no matter how fast cars convert to EV.
Recently been through the notion of EVs with MTs elsewhere, and since I'm feeling lazy . . .

I think we'd need to see things like torque curves and efficiency curves before deciding out-of-hand that an electric motor couldn't benefit from operating through a multi-speed gearbox. Optimum acceleration performance comes from keeping the rpms of the powerplant within a reasonably tight bracket around peak power rpm.

Found this. Looks to me that you'd want to keep this particular motor running between about 7000 and 10000 rpm.

For now at least, the easy answer seems to have been to simply throw more motor torque at the problem. But at some point, maybe that won't be an option and we'll be back to trying to get the most out of the power curve developed from significantly less-powerful electric motors.

Maybe we won't see M6s and A10s bolted up to electric motors, but we might see transmissions with fewer forward gears.

Norm
Old 02-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #248
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Recently been through the notion of EVs with MTs elsewhere, and since I'm feeling lazy . . .

I think we'd need to see things like torque curves and efficiency curves before deciding out-of-hand that an electric motor couldn't benefit from operating through a multi-speed gearbox. Optimum acceleration performance comes from keeping the rpms of the powerplant within a reasonably tight bracket around peak power rpm.

Found this. Looks to me that you'd want to keep this particular motor running between about 7000 and 10000 rpm.

For now at least, the easy answer seems to have been to simply throw more motor torque at the problem. But at some point, maybe that won't be an option and we'll be back to trying to get the most out of the power curve developed from significantly less-powerful electric motors.

Maybe we won't see M6s and A10s bolted up to electric motors, but we might see transmissions with fewer forward gears.

Norm
Porsche/Audi architecture has a 2 speed. But it adds cost and mass so will have to earn its way in. Also it adds a level of mechanical complexity (failure mode) and maintenance.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #249
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
The biggest issue with transmissions on EV's is the parasitic loss negatively impacting range. I think you run into a situation where "more gear" is just going to make you traction limited so you're sacrificing range with no big improvement in acceleration unless you want to daily Mikey Thompson's (again killing more range).
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #250
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Norm

Interesting, I didn't know about electric car transmissions. .... i looked up Formula E transmissions, and first gen had 5 speed, while the gen 2 have up to 4.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #251
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
tesla has no gears. It seems to accelerate to high speed just fine and cruise for long distances just fine in the same car.

transmissions are a necessary evil created around the limitations of engines/motors. They're not necessarily needed for electric motors in most uses. Generally when the motor being used is either undersized or the wrong KV rating for the application for some reason. Seems that for cars, that isn't generally the case.

bolting on a bunch of weight and adding moving parts and needing to oil and cool those parts just to allow your car to go from 160 to 200+ in a non-race car just isn't justifiable for most car buyers....so they dont do it.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #252
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
tesla has no gears. It seems to accelerate to high speed just fine and cruise for long distances just fine in the same car.

Yeah, without a transmission, I think i've read the dual motor teslas have different gear ratios between the front and back with the front to optimizing efficiency. But, I don't think a transmission for an electric car would be anywhere as complicated as there no need for a clutch/torque converter and there is a lower number of gears.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote