Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-21-2023, 09:27 AM   #1
FirstTimeChevy23

Drives: 23 Camaro 2SS
Question Coilover setup for a comfortable road trip

Hi all, as the title depicts, is there a setup out there that offers a better ride quality than a stock SS non-MRC in the terms of the car being a daily driver and used for road trips?

Thanks for the advice
FirstTimeChevy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:09 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
kw v3 would be best bang for buck quality not junk made overseas
Old 03-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #3
FirstTimeChevy23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
kw v3 would be best bang for buck quality not junk made overseas
Thanks for the input on this... Anyone else?
Old 03-22-2023, 11:02 AM   #4
greenz28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS M6, Ford Fiesta ST
I've been trying to answer the same question you have, since I decided to forgo the mag ride on mine.

I wish I had firsthand experience. But, I can tell you I messaged KW with this question about 1 year ago. They came back with a canned response about the features of the KW coilovers. Still, it's likely KW would be a good solution. I just haven't been willing to part with $3000 to find out.

You probably saw the recent post about Fortune Auto coilovers. They're at the top of my list now. Made in USA about about $1000 cheaper than KW. They will make you a custom setup, with different spring rates available.
greenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:07 PM   #5
FirstTimeChevy23

I did see that post. And gave it a look which ultimately sparked this thread.

I'm almost certain I will get something a year or 2 down the road.. depends on how long the low profile summer tires last. Pretty sure those are part of the problem.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:45 PM   #6
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I am not sure you're going to find a more plush comfortable ride than the stock suspension.

Everything aftermarket is going to come with stiffer springs, even the lowering springs without the coilovers are stiffer. I started with the base non mag ride SS suspension, went to BMR lowering springs, then to silvers 1 ways (the guy dissing them never used them, and I challenge him to find bad reviews on them) and now the silvers 2 way adjustable. The BMR rode closest to stock, the 1 ways are nice, and silvers gives you options for spring rates, you dial in how it feels. Either way, I just don't know if there is an aftermarket setup out there that's designed for road trips. It's more performance based upgrades or people looking to lower their cars.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #7
FirstTimeChevy23

^^^ and that maybe the case... who knows. I don't know how long the stock tires are to last, but will be switching over to all seasons when that happens.

More than likely will do that before suspension considerations. Gotta save up for a blower too ��
Old 03-23-2023, 10:37 AM   #8
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTimeChevy23 View Post
Hi all, as the title depicts, is there a setup out there that offers a better ride quality than a stock SS non-MRC in the terms of the car being a daily driver and used for road trips?

Thanks for the advice
BADDAWG53 is absolutely correct that in terms of ride, it is hard to beat the stock suspension.

I have KW V3 coilovers and am very happy with them but they certainly are FIRMER than the stock set up and there is inherently more noise feedback than the stock set up on an SS. I have VORSHLAG camber plates so those as well produce more noise feedback than stock.

I will say however that compared to my previous ZL1 1LE set up, the ride on these KW V3 on my Camaro SS 1LE is MUCH better than the ZL1 1LE set up as it relates to daily driving. It handles better as well. The 1400 pound rating on the rear springs on the ZL1 1LE is COMPLETELY unforgiving. The other issue of course is that the Zl1 1LE suspension is NOT adjustable.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 03-23-2023 at 10:51 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:24 AM   #9
Hellamass

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
Set up

Try the Fortune Auto 500 series but call them to make sure you have a good spring rate to work with your comfort request. Just to give you an idea of a rough ride I use 8k (rate) springs up front and 16K (rate) in the rear. This is for high track use and some road use.
Hellamass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #10
FirstTimeChevy23

Its great to see some additional feedback. Thank you guys for pitching in. Seems like theres been a resounding vote for Fortune Auto. Will certainly consider calling them and having a chat on this topic.

Appreciate the real world feedback.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:24 AM   #11
greenz28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS M6, Ford Fiesta ST
I'm sure it can be done. The only challenge is finding a manufacturer that will do it or offers the right stuff. I've done it on 3 other cars. First, many years ago on my 95 Z28. I installed Bilstein shocks that were custom valved by SLP and installed standard (not the SLP ones) Eibach springs. It rode and looked awesome! This was back when SLP offered the their custom valved shocks as a catalog item, not too expensive. Very comfortable and still plenty sporty for street driving.

Next, also many years ago, on my 94 Firebird Formula. I bought what they had in stock at Advance Auto and on stock springs. Don't remember brand but the shocks were made in Europe somewhere. Also a great ride. This car was my daily driver back then and rode perfect for that.

And just about 3 years ago, installed Koni orange shocks on my Fiesta ST, on stock springs. These are the Koni orange shocks intended for the non-ST version. My Fiesta ST rides more comfortably than my Camaro SS (non-mag ride), as a result. Fiesta ST is my daily and it rides perfect for that also.

So from my first hand experience, it's more about the shock/strut valving than the spring rate for a comfortable ride.
greenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote