Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2023, 03:12 PM   #1
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Want a Garmin, But don't want to spend 800$?

Heard about this listening to the slip angle podcast the other day.

https://firelaps.com/

You can upload your data from almost any laptimer / data recorder and their AI will help you find better laps. Works similar to a Garmin Catalyst.

Monthly subscription. but beats shelling out 800 bucks for a Garmin.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Cool, I'm trying it out now. They have a free trial

**Short review...

Doesn't seem like it does much of what the catalyst does from what I can tell. It's a dumbed down version of the data you get from RaceStudio. The only additional thing you get over the regular AIM software is their "Ideal lap" which may or may not be accurate. It uses software to try to find optimal lateral G forces, driving line etc. It doesnt tell you if you should brake later or turn in sooner or anything like that. I can't find any useful coaching information that the catalyst tries to spit out at you. In my case they are basically finding 1 mph here or there with ideal G forces. I can't actually find any other useful information that would help me go faster beyond being able to carry optimal G forces through an entire corner.

Last edited by Christian1LE; 03-13-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:45 AM   #3
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Cool, I'm trying it out now. They have a free trial

**Short review...

Doesn't seem like it does much of what the catalyst does from what I can tell. It's a dumbed down version of the data you get from RaceStudio. The only additional thing you get over the regular AIM software is their "Ideal lap" which may or may not be accurate. It uses software to try to find optimal lateral G forces, driving line etc. It doesnt tell you if you should brake later or turn in sooner or anything like that. I can't find any useful coaching information that the catalyst tries to spit out at you. In my case they are basically finding 1 mph here or there with ideal G forces. I can't actually find any other useful information that would help me go faster beyond being able to carry optimal G forces through an entire corner.
Thanks for taking the time to actually try it out. Clearly I haven't used it yet Got too hype from the info in the podcast and quick posted.

I'm guessing what they were talking about in the podcast was the intelligent driving coach that does not seem to be released yet. (Bottom of their website)
Old 03-15-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
BMoneyMan

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
Monthly subscription. but beats shelling out 800 bucks for a Garmin.
After consumables, a Catalyst is the #1 thing a track driver should have in my humble opinion. This comes before spending a dollar on performance upgrades. If the Catalyst says you have time to gain, you likely do, and it will specifically tell you how to realize those gains.

The Catalyst provides quick, good feedback in real time and the data overlay on video export (and ease of use) is pretty robust.

Track driving is expensive. In the grand scheme of a track season/career, $800 one time isn't that much.
BMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote