Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #1
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Harness Belts - No Cage or Harness bar solutions?

Did a fair amount of research and it appears most people opt for the half cage or a harness bar for our cars.

I have a size 34 waist and the stock seats do a poor job holding me around corners (despite having cinched the stock 3 point belts tight!). My left leg gets bruised hitting the door panel at high G turns.

Thing is - my back seats are important to me as I also have my young kids use it from time to time.

I only track 3-4 times a year with no plans to increase that.

Are there any harness solutions (that are certified and validated) for our Camaros for folks like me who like to retain the back seats?

Thanks!

Last edited by Checkmate1; 03-15-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #2
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
I track my ATS-V sedan 8+ times a year. My sedan is my grocery getter and I need the back seats for kids, so no half-cage.

Between OE 3-points, airbags and a Simpson Hybrid S I figure I've done what I can within reason to protect myself without going "full race car".

Datapoint of one...
Old 03-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #3
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Same as BoilerUP sans the Hybrid. Although I'd love to get a legit multi-point harness, it doesn't seem like anything truly fits the Camaro. Almost did a 4-point ASM but the angle isn't correct in the Camaro whereas my previous BMW it was.

Anyway, seems like I get a snug enough fit with the seat back, lock belt, seat forward trick.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
I think these cars are fairly safe with airbags and regular seatbelt. Once you start removing them for weight savings then it's a good idea to get a proper restraint system. I also don't think any harness solution is actually validated in proper crash tests. The whole point of a hans system is to prevent your head from moving independent from your body.

When all the airbags deploy it already does that for you, new cars are like an airbag protection bubble. I just use the seatbelt trick to lock myself in during track days and hope for the best. I will get a harness eventually but I feel pretty safe with the factory systems.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Are you using the OEM seatbelts lock feature by pulling it out all the way?

I don't think anyone provides anything like that since the OEM seats aren't designed for them.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #6
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Are you using the OEM seatbelts lock feature by pulling it out all the way?

I don't think anyone provides anything like that since the OEM seats aren't designed for them.
Exactly that. It will never be as good as a race seat or harness but given it's dual use, that trick is effective for me.

My bigger gripe regarding seating has to do with the thin-as-hell right knee pad. Really needs better cushion there!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:41 PM   #7
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
The brey Krause harness bar is technically removable, and might be a good option if you want to run harnesses. I'm sure you could install and remove in less than an hour, and seeing as you only track a few times a year it seems reasonable. I used it for a couple years before getting a half cage, never took it out but also had the rear seats still installed.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:26 PM   #8
BMoneyMan

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Are there any harness solutions (that are certified and validated) for our Camaros for folks like me who like to retain the back seats?

I'm a big believer in either leaving it all stock (seats, belts, etc.) or replace it all. Meaning you would replace seats, harnesses, and get a HANS all at the same time. Mixing and matching isn't ideal. As previously said, pull the seat belt ALL the way out and let it go. It should hold you relatively well. I'm a 35ish (ok, 36) inch waist and I had no real issues with moving around in the seat on track last year.

Secondly, you live in Bel Air? I'm in Abingdon.
BMoneyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:56 AM   #9
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Sadly not that I’m aware off. Have you already tried the extend seat belt all the way in to force it to lock already?

My solution was a 4-pt harness, but it makes one of the rear seats unusable since it screws into the rear seat belt attachment points.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote