#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #29
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
I found it interesting that they ran them in a “mile” and the mustang beat the camaro by 8mph, that’s a lot and I wonder if the 8 speed auto would have done better in that area
I was also surprised until someone posted gear ratios in another thread. IIRC, from third gear up, there is almost a full gear ratio difference, i.e., the mustang has shorter gearing. Free torque.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #30
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Anyone also read the part about both cars having line lock? Unless I'm mistaken, The SS 1LE doesn't have it.

Might be why he was having trouble getting it to work...... :-P
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #31
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Anyone also read the part about both cars having line lock? Unless I'm mistaken, The SS 1LE doesn't have it.

I thought the same too.
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #32
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post

Lol. I picked up on that too. SS1LE, no line lock. ZL1, yes. Also, I too have difficulty doing a burnout...because I think about the cost of replacing the GY tires ��
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:28 PM   #33
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
You nailed it! It's all about how the car makes you feel and what your purpose is. It's hard to compare the engine of the M235i to US made V8. Heck even my M550i which has the same power as the LT1 feels less stout in all measures. It took a lot for me to come to a Chevy from BMW M cars. You just have to truly dig down and ask yourself what you need the given car to do for you. If you want the be the fastest and best handling guy in the $46k range, then 1LE it is. I love BMW and always will, but until they at least match the 2013 and below M car overall qualifies, I will be spending my money on other manufacturers that offer advanced technology, performance, and individual fun factor. Of course, this is just my opinion
I test drove a 2SS 1LE yesterday and I have an 2016 M3.

The 1LE is better in every performance category except one. The motor in the M3 has more down low torque and it is a little faster in a straight line than the 1LE. I rung out the 1LE on the freeway and after that test drive and going into the M3, it felt like I had an additional 100HP, it just feels much faster SOTP.

Handling though, no contest. The M division should be downright embarrassed with the suspension tuning they have on the M car. I had to go Ohlin R/T coilovers to get a car that was composed and stable and even still it still doesn't feel quite right.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #34
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I test drove a 2SS 1LE yesterday and I have an 2016 M3.

The 1LE is better in every performance category except one. The motor in the M3 has more down low torque and it is a little faster in a straight line than the 1LE. I rung out the 1LE on the freeway and after that test drive and going into the M3, it felt like I had an additional 100HP, it just feels much faster SOTP.

Handling though, no contest. The M division should be downright embarrassed with the suspension tuning they have on the M car. I had to go Ohlin R/T coilovers to get a car that was composed and stable and even still it still doesn't feel quite right.
No doubt the M3 would have more torque down low, modern turbos mounted right off the exhaust manifold with twin scrolls and it revs up super fast to provide torque. Full torque around 1700rpm and keep in mind that BMW "advertises" the number that the car dynos at the wheels, so it's usually like 440whp, which is a good bit significantly more than the LT1. With more area below the torque curve (the LT1 is around 300tq when the BMW is at full-ish torque around 1500rpm), the BMW definitely has the torque going for it. It doesn't increase as RPM builds, so acceleration will taper off as RPM climbs, but it's got plenty of gears to wring it all out.

It's a different engine philosophy for sure. The LT1 is great for being a V8 with good torque down low, compared to the torque of smaller V8s like BMWs own 4.0 on the last M3, or high strung V6s. Modern turbo is much more though. It will feel and be practically faster at slower speeds (faster to accelerate).

In my experience, you need to start the LT1 around 4000rpm to get similar seat-of-the-pants. It'll make a whole lot more noise doing it too Natural noise at that.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #35
zx9rmal

There's also a significant difference in overall gearing/gear ratios between the 2 cars. Seems like the M3 would have significantly more torque multiplication.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Old 07-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #36
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I wonder why gym didn't give the 6th gen 1le better gears,
like they did with the fifth gen that got 3.93s IIRC.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #37
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
I wonder why gym didn't give the 6th gen 1le better gears,
like they did with the fifth gen that got 3.93s IIRC.
Maybe because it would put it too close to the ZL1??

You figure, they can't go too low a gear on the ZL1 because it would just eat tires, so they couldn't have the SS stepping too close to the ZL1 with less weight and HP.

It would have been nice though to see the SS 1LE be able to break the 4 second mark to 60. 3.8 to 3.9 would be just about perfect with a little better gearing.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #38
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Maybe because it would put it too close to the ZL1??

You figure, they can't go too low a gear on the ZL1 because it would just eat tires, so they couldn't have the SS stepping too close to the ZL1 with less weight and HP.

It would have been nice though to see the SS 1LE be able to break the 4 second mark to 60. 3.8 to 3.9 would be just about perfect with a little better gearing.
That's a good point but I think the zl1's additional 200 hp will still let it walk away from it, maybe the 0-60 will be close but that 1/4 mile trap speed should tell the real story of hp supremacy.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #39
zx9rmal

Or maybe 15-20% lower final drive ratio and closer tranny ratios. But but I suspect corporate fuel economy is also at play here.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R