Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 268
A10 Transmission in Performance Shift mode...all over the place

I was lucky enough to take my car to the race track the other day and had the chance to really open her up. Managed top speed of 150MPH on the back stretch (Mario Andretti Straightaway). The track is 2.459-mi. https://canadiantiremotorsportpark.c...and-prix-track

So my first time out on the track I kept in D and as I started to get more comfortable I started to drive more aggressive. With that said the car went into Performance mode where it was supposed to hold the shifts longer and also be in the right gear. What I found was the transmission was all over the place meaning it was changing gears more than it should IMHO. My instructor pointed this out to me.

My other 3 sessions on the track I elected to use the paddle shifters and it was a much better and more engaging experience. For the rest of the day I used the paddle shifters and was happy as a clam.

Just curious if any other A10 owners have experienced this and like me ended up using the paddles instead of keeping in D?

The transmission on the street seems to be fine btw when driving normally. if I take it the dealer to look at what test or what mechanism do they use to determine the problem?

Here is the track
Attached Images
 
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof

Last edited by Canadian ZL1; 09-07-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Stephen12ZL1


 
Stephen12ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 ZL1 A10
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 5,794
Use the paddles for sure. The performance shift algorithm is obnoxious for a 20-25min session. It works well for 1-2 hot laps only. Some at VIR have found it makes the tranny get too hot as well.
__________________
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75
'15 Z/28 #325 black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
Stephen12ZL1


 
Stephen12ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '17 ZL1 A10
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 5,794
The dealer will not be able to give any input on this issue...they won't have any clue.
__________________
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75
'15 Z/28 #325 black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #4
Heartbreaker
 
Heartbreaker's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL-1, Hyper Blue A10
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Nashville
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Use the paddles for sure. The performance shift algorithm is obnoxious for a 20-25min session. It works well for 1-2 hot laps only. Some at VIR have found it makes the tranny get too hot as well.
I disagree . The A10 auto is better left without the paddles in rack use!
Heartbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
newchevyman
 
Drives: 2017 Camero ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 63
Why would you ever use the paddles? If you want to shift yourself buy a manual. Simple as that.
__________________
2017 ZL1 A10
Rotofab|2" Stainless Works|Innovators West 9.1" pulley
Signature SV502s|BMR lockout kit

2007 Z06 H/C/I/E -sold
newchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
Sakudog

 
Sakudog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The ATX
Posts: 872
I think it will depend on the track and your driving style, simply put, you may be at a driving level (you had an instructor in a car, not a driving coach, so I'm just speculating) or that particular track or the intersection of both of those things and the programming is in a bad spot. Track shifting algorithms work perfectly for my car on COTA, most people get the same result so...

That being said, no harm in owning the shift points, I've done that in my car but lost time.
__________________
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by newchevyman View Post
Why would you ever use the paddles? If you want to shift yourself buy a manual. Simple as that.
I found the paddles very engaging personally...I bought an A10 for the ability to keep in D BUT for certain circumstances banging through the gears is a lot of fun also, especially on the track!
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
The dealer will not be able to give any input on this issue...they won't have any clue.
Yeah I was afraid this might be true...ugh!
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
I think it will depend on the track and your driving style, simply put, you may be at a driving level (you had an instructor in a car, not a driving coach, so I'm just speculating) or that particular track or the intersection of both of those things and the programming is in a bad spot. Track shifting algorithms work perfectly for my car on COTA, most people get the same result so...

That being said, no harm in owning the shift points, I've done that in my car but lost time.
Yes that's fair...maybe the tranny was all over the place based on the drivers input (me) meaning if I wasn't smooth in the right spots the tranny would fight to correct me?

Next time I am at the track I will slow it down and focus on my lines and technique. Truth be told my first time at the track I was trying to go balls out so in a way I blame myself.

As for paddle shifting on my own I really enjoyed the experience, however, I am fully aware I won't get my best laps times manually shifting.
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Sakudog

 
Sakudog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The ATX
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ZL1 View Post
Yes that's fair...maybe the tranny was all over the place based on the drivers input (me) meaning if I wasn't smooth in the right spots the tranny would fight to correct me?

Next time I am at the track I will slow it down and focus on my lines and technique. Truth be told my first time at the track I was trying to go balls out so in a way I blame myself.

As for paddle shifting on my own I really enjoyed the experience, however, I am fully aware I won't get my best laps times manually shifting.
The HPDE isn't a race and you can't "Win" so work on your skills vs. getting point byes.
__________________
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
BlueinTN
 
Drives: gas powered
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TN
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by newchevyman View Post
Why would you ever use the paddles? If you want to shift yourself buy a manual. Simple as that.



its the discussion on every Auto thread.


I love my Auto...."when I manually shift it its feels great" statement.


And then 3 months later...."my auto has a mind of it own its never in the right gear".....thread.


Wash rinse repeat since the Powerglide came out.
__________________
2018 ZL1 ZLE
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
nicktechla

 
nicktechla's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10 Red Hot
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,483
When you put it into track mode, it stays in the gears longer and is less all over the place. I was using sport the first few times at the track and it was all over the place.
__________________
IG: 2fast2nick
-- Current --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2017 Bolt EV
-- Past --
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
Artos

 
Artos's Avatar
 
Drives: A10 LT4
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Deep South TX
Posts: 1,090
I wouldn't manually shift at the track myself, but if I did it would be with the gear knob...I just can't get into the paddles & likely just feels more normal / muscle memory being an older manual left foot guy.

The A10 is a hoot to shift by hand scooting around town & luckily don't drive it all the time as I use a bunch more fuel vs letting it do her thing...bet I haven't used the paddles more than 2-3 times.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
Canadian ZL1
 
Canadian ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
When you put it into track mode, it stays in the gears longer and is less all over the place. I was using sport the first few times at the track and it was all over the place.
Pretty sure I was in Track mode however I am wondering now because I did not have PTM Dry, PTM Sport1, PTM Sport2 or PTM Race mode selected this might of been my problem. When I played back my PDR video I noticed it just showed Track mode.
__________________
_____________________
'17 ZL1 HBM|A10|NAV|PDR|CFW Hood|Sunroof
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.