Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Agostino13

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/RS
Need Help on Paint Issues

Ok so August 28 i pick up my new Camaro SS.
Like an idiot i was just to excited about finally getting the car that i did not do a great job checking it for defects. I pull into my driveway and find a paint chip on the corner of the driver door, so i call up my salesman and he tells me they will take care of it for me.

September 1st i decide its time to wash my Camaro for the 1st time.
As i am washing the car i realize the spoiler is loose and all the paint under it is chipped. At this point I am pissed but continue washing my car. Then i find a smudge in the corner were the bumper meets the fender, now im searching for more problems and i find a paint blemish that looks like bird crap in the passenger door i try everything to get it off but it is under the clear coat and will not wipe off, i also find a scratch on my passenger side mirror. I call up the dealer and tell them they tell me they will fix everything and the car will look brand new.

September 3rd i drive down they take a look at everything and make an appointment for it to be sent to the body shop on sept 8th

September 11 i pick up the car in the rain and cant really tell if they did a good job or not. The next day i take a good look at it and see they did a horrible touch up paint job (I have done better myself), the paint blemish was sanded out but they left sand paper scratches all over the door so i call them up to complain and they tell me they will have it fixed properly.

September 13 ordered my gmpp exhaust through them and decided i would wait for it to come in to drop the car off for the paint and installation.

September 21 the exhaust arrives they install the exhaust and make an appointment for the car to go in on the 27th which i ended up missing that date so i dropped it off October 5th

October 7th pick up the car to find they re clear coated the passenger door but there is dirt under the clear coat and a black mark about 1/2 inch long. They sanded the touch up paint off the driver door and worked the paint on the corner of the driver door so that it is smooth but u can see right through the paint, the paint is almost white. They didn't touch the terrible touch up paint under the spoiler.

Today October 8th am writing this long post hoping to find some help i realize i am very picky but this is my first expensive car i am 20yrs old and want it to be perfect what do i do now?

Do i try to get them to exchange the car? Does the paint issues qualify for the lemon law?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Agostino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Pictures would be helpful.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Just be a persistent pain in the ass and keep taking it back till its to your standards. E|lectronics and othe things can work one day and not the next but theres really no excuse for crap factory paint with all the technology.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Agostino13

I will post pictures as how everything is right now but i dont have pics of it before going into the shop.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Agostino13

i feel like they dont know what they are doing and the more i take it back the worse they will make it
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Yeah it sounds like their body shop guys don't know what they're doing. At this point I'd be worried that if you take it back again, they'll just mess up something else in the paint. If it were me, I'd talk to them about them paying for it to be fixed by someone else.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Agostino13

i have been thinking about doing this but i am also afraid that if the body shop i bring it to doesn't do a good job either then i am stuck with it
Old 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
That's true. That's why you should research and find a shop with a good reputation of doing quality work, which will stand by their work if there is an issue. I would check with local car clubs. You'll find lots of other guys who are extremely anal about the appearance of their cars and if they recommend a place, you can have some confidence that it'll be a good shop.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Agostino13

Thx i will give that a try
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Agostino13

Just tried to take some pictures but it is to sunny out right now i am getting reflections off the clear coat of me taking the picture and nothing is showing with the issues i will post pics when i can get some clear shots.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agostino13 View Post
I will post pictures as how everything is right now but i dont have pics of it before going into the shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agostino13 View Post
Just tried to take some pictures but it is to sunny out right now i am getting reflections off the clear coat of me taking the picture and nothing is showing with the issues i will post pics when i can get some clear shots.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Mark25

Drives: 2001 Corvette, 2006 Mustang GT
Next time...you take the car home (without signing the paperwork) give it a thorough inspection at home (wash it, etc.), then write down all the defects and you tell them you'll buy it when all the defects are corrected and not a moment sooner...if they don't agree, don't buy the car and move onto another one and/or another dealer. But once you buy it...they've got you...just a fact of life. Hope you'll get her up to your specs...I do sympathize with you...I've been through that crap many times before...but now I keep the car at home for a day or so (before buying) and give it my inspection before I sign the paperwork to buy.
Mark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Agostino13

I wish I could have taken the car home for a day but here the dealers r so strict with the camaros. I wasn't even allowed to test drive the car I had to sign first and I was told this by many dealerships.