Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 PM   #71
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAmerican View Post
Depends.

On a Mustang dyno.

My 16 A8 2SS
Stock- 416 hp
MSD intake and vmax ported throttle body (TB wasn't done right) - 428 hp

This is interesting to me. OP states 20 HP gain on a stock setup. You purchase the intake, have it installed, and add the TB and you're seeing a 12 HP gain from stock. Is that accurate?
Since this post, have you had the TB, to use your words, "done right?" Any new dyno results?
Seems like a lot of cash for little return. Not trying to be a D.
This thread has been like a roller coaster - excitement, pissed off, excitement, pissed off...
ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #72
Sgtrod

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I would guess there is a limited amout of low hanging horsepower left on the table from chevy. You decide how you want to obtain your lowest hanging 10-20hp...cai, tune or $1200 manifold.
Sgtrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #73
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride98red View Post
This is interesting to me. OP states 20 HP gain on a stock setup. You purchase the intake, have it installed, and add the TB and you're seeing a 12 HP gain from stock. Is that accurate?
Since this post, have you had the TB, to use your words, "done right?" Any new dyno results?
Seems like a lot of cash for little return. Not trying to be a D.
This thread has been like a roller coaster - excitement, pissed off, excitement, pissed off...
One of the biggest factors in the variances is in the testing. You don't simply put the car on the dyno and do three pulls, install a product and do 3 more pulls. You need to data log to confirm all conditions are the same which includes a lot of factors. I still have the manifold on my Camaro and it was worth every penny IMHO. We finished on the podium at every USCA event we've run this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtrod View Post
I would guess there is a limited amout of low hanging horsepower left on the table from chevy. You decide how you want to obtain your lowest hanging 10-20hp...cai, tune or $1200 manifold.
GM did leave a fair amount of power on the table but the intake, intake manifold, heads and camshaft offer the highest reward. You're not going to see much more than 10HP with tuning in most cases. The factory LT1 manifold isn't awesome and neither are the heads until they're reworked. I've seen more power from this manifold on the 6th Gen than I have from headers...

You have to look at the entire combination of parts and if someone has a goal of 500-550 WHP then this manifold is a must.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #74
Tmcbigblue

Drives: 2016 1ss black 6m
What kind of power would you expect from cold air intake, intake manifold, headers, and tune? This may be a good route because it would cost considerably less than heads and cam. Would it make a noticible difference from stock? Thanks!
Tmcbigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #75
G6SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmcbigblue View Post
What kind of power would you expect from cold air intake, intake manifold, headers, and tune? This may be a good route because it would cost considerably less than heads and cam. Would it make a noticible difference from stock? Thanks!
I would hope to hit 460/460 at the minimum
G6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #76
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6SS View Post
I would hope to hit 460/460 at the minimum
On a dynojet maybe.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #77
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
You could expect to be in the 445-460 Range with an M6 car. We generally baseline the M6's at 410-415 and see a combine gain of 40-50 HP with tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
On a dynojet maybe.
Dyno's are simply tuning tools and they allow you to see gains from modifications. The thing about a Dynojet is I can run a car on my dyno at 4500FT, then go to NASA Nationals at Laguna Seca near sea level and be within 2 horsepower... There is a reason why the sanctioning bodies require PTW to be determined by a Dynojet... Mustang dyno's can show high numbers or really low numbers...

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
Old 08-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #78
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
You could expect to be in the 445-460 Range with an M6 car. We generally baseline the M6's at 410-415 and see a combine gain of 40-50 HP with tuning.

Dyno's are simply tuning tools and they allow you to see gains from modifications. The thing about a Dynojet is I can run a car on my dyno at 4500FT, then go to NASA Nationals at Laguna Seca near sea level and be within 2 horsepower... There is a reason why the sanctioning bodies require PTW to be determined by a Dynojet... Mustang dyno's can show high numbers or really low numbers...

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215

Yes but 9 times out of 10 they read higher than other dynos

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #79
Tmcbigblue

Drives: 2016 1ss black 6m
445-460 whp would be a pretty strong running car. Would it pull harder up top of the rpm range with the intake manifold? How would the torque be with this set up? How would you describe a car with these mods and the way it would drive compared to a stock car? Would it feel and perform a good deal better? Thank for answering my questions!
Tmcbigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #80
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
Had a chance to test any 2 inch primaries ? Any input on this? They performed the best on the ls3.

Thanks
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #81
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
GM has done a pretty good job making power with these cars. If you wanna be sure this car makes good hp you might consider supercharging. Your gonna spend 3,500 for MSD, headers with exhaust and a tune. Save a little longer and you know you can make at least 550 with boost.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #82
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
Yes but 9 times out of 10 they read higher than other dynos
I'd say 5 times out of 10.

Quote:
445-460 whp would be a pretty strong running car. Would it pull harder up top of the rpm range with the intake manifold? How would the torque be with this set up? How would you describe a car with these mods and the way it would drive compared to a stock car? Would it feel and perform a good deal better? Thank for answering my questions!
They make solid power through the power band but they do pull very hard up top with that combo. The torque increase is in the 35-45 WTQ range and I will put a dyno sheet together ASAP. You can feel the difference without question and these cars being "Driver Demand" based the tuning alone can make them feel much more responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Had a chance to test any 2 inch primaries ? Any input on this? They performed the best on the ls3.

Thanks
The 2" headers are too much for stock LT1 heads and honestly too much for ported heads. The 1-7/8" have proven to be the best on these engines all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
GM has done a pretty good job making power with these cars. If you wanna be sure this car makes good hp you might consider supercharging. Your gonna spend 3,500 for MSD, headers with exhaust and a tune. Save a little longer and you know you can make at least 550 with boost.
This is true unless you plan on staying NA for autocross and road course usage. My goal is 540-550 WHP on the stock bottom end NA and we're sitting at 500 now with a very small VVT camshaft.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
801-545-4215
Old 09-22-2016, 02:05 AM   #83
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
What a lot of people dont consider when deciding to S/C and spend a mint - normally close to 10k with an install - is they have instantly devalued their car. You may decide to keep it long term, but most guys dont because new models are enticing and the urge to tinker is too strong.

When selling the car, you may believe youll get a return since youve spent what amounts to a small fortune on the overall vehicle, but the reality is the majority of buyers dont want a car thats been picked to pieces. They want stock used cars -not ones torn up and driven hard by 20 somethings - aka "drive it like you stole it" guys. I can normally spot one of these right away without peeking under the hood- they run rough and are beat to sh$t. I avoid them like the plague. See them roll through auctions all the time and go for less than plain stock equivalents in most cases.

My point to all this is, if you arent married to the car forever, then you may want to mod what you can return to stock later. Axle back exhaust, CAI, Tune are my go to's - however the MSD manifold may come into the mix. Save those stock parts!

Ive spent 25k of F/I systems and internals over the years on cars I no longer own. What a waste.

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 09-22-2016 at 02:25 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #84
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
No question. We liked the LS3 MSD offerings but they were harder to justify due to the gains but these LT1 units are absolutely worth every penny. Better bang for your buck than the Headers now.

All the best,

Jared Royce

Its posts like yours that makes sifting through forums worth the time. Great write-ups & testing on the Manifold. Beneficial to see some real world testing on a part youre not sure pulling the trigger on.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6th gen camaro, airforce, jdp motorsports, lt1, msd