Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
snowolf_rs

Drives: 2017 Summit White Camaro RS 1LT
3rd engine

So I now have my 2nd engine in my car needing to be replaced due to piston failure in cylinder 1. The first time this happened was at 2400 miles 2 months after I got the car. Now it just happened again at 44k miles, but the dealer is saying they wont cover it under warranty since I'm tuned, even though the service manager told me to my face that my tune and mods had nothing to do with the failure. So I've had some great luck with my car so far
snowolf_rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Sorry to hear about your trouble. As it's the 2nd time you need engine replacement, I'm sure GM asked or will ask for the tune status and deny your claim, and if that's the case, I don't think the service manager has much leverage even if he wants to help.

Why did you get the car tuned? Do you have some power adders, were you trying to get rid of the A8 shudder or for some other reason? I'm only asking out of curiosity, since you didn't list any mods in your sig.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Same piston failed ? Same tune ?

Gotta pay to play.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Who tuned your car?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:07 AM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Same piston failed ? Same tune ?

Gotta pay to play.
Real classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble. As it's the 2nd time you need engine replacement, I'm sure GM asked or will ask for the tune status and deny your claim, and if that's the case, I don't think the service manager has much leverage even if he wants to help.

Why did you get the car tuned? Do you have some power adders, were you trying to get rid of the A8 shudder or for some other reason? I'm only asking out of curiosity, since you didn't list any mods in your sig.
I believe he has basic bolt-ons supposedly first blown engine was 100% stock. A better question that needs to be asked is this. If it's the same cylinder 1 piston both times and there is no cylinder wall damage wouldn't it be cheaper at this point to just go forged considering the near $8500 a stealership would charge to just replace an engine you could probably get away with having it forged at a speed shop for half that. Also getting rid of the A8 shudder would only void the transmission and i'm willing to bet GM will soon be outed for this supposed tuning fix in 2019.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Engine 1 was stock (tune wise)
Engine 2 was tuned (i'll let Snowolf disclose info, don't wanna overstep boundaries)

I was telling him yesterday on IG; some of these LTGs are mint and have no problems whatsoever and some of them are crapping out for no reason. That really sucks man. I would find out, like Kevin said, if there is scoring or damage to the piston walls. If there is, unfortunately you're out of luck.

That $8500 is at least half for install and removal of the engine(s). If you can get away with grabbing some forged internals if there is no block damage, and if you wanna keep the car, go that route and it will save you some skrilla.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #7
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
If same piston failed, i would load check wiring harness, specifically fueling side AND have injectors flow tested.

Reason being, you have one hole that was starved of fuel = melted bits, or opposite, too much fuel and wash down = failed rings.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I can only hope and pray my car makes it too 45k as it sits with the way I run it ROFL! OFC, I accepted that possibility when I tuned it with 6k miles on the clock. My thought was, and still is, catch "probable" LTG failure early with regular monitoring, go forged internals if no significant damage. There is a bright side too! Its really nice to change everything in your shopping cart built from a quantitiy of 8, to a quantity of 4 (throws me off everytime haha) When your pushing almost 200ft/lbs per liter, things are kinda high strung, and the LTG already has a hit or miss reputation. Id say you did pretty well Good luck with whatever you decide!

p.s. I won't say much on this forum for obvious reasons, but there is a recent trending issue with off the shelf crate LTG's. If you decide to get a new crate engine, make sure you don't get old stock, get it from the source.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
What oil have you been running? Your failure is classic LSPI by what you describe and should have nothing to do with the tune, but is possible if a bad tune.
What catchcan system have you been running? That also reduces or eliminates LSPI caused failures if a system like our E2-X system is used, but the oil used is critical. Most premium full synthetics have formulations now that greatly reduce this.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
What oil have you been running? Your failure is classic LSPI by what you describe and should have nothing to do with the tune, but is possible if a bad tune.
What catchcan system have you been running? That also reduces or eliminates LSPI caused failures if a system like our E2-X system is used, but the oil used is critical. Most premium full synthetics have formulations now that greatly reduce this.

OMG stop plugging your decent can with bad routing for the LTG.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
OMG stop plugging your decent can with bad routing for the LTG.
Omg... Lol. I knew this was coming. "Your decent can with bad routing." I'm dying over here.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Omg... Lol. I knew this was coming. "Your decent can with bad routing." I'm dying over here.
Happy i could brighten your day. I mean most people use the right oil or just default use the Mobil 1 most of the time.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #13
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Happy i could brighten your day. I mean most people use the right oil or just default use the Mobil 1 most of the time.
I know right. Who gets the oil wrong? Thank you for the laughs. I like how you give him credit for the correct can Lol.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #14
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
What oil were you running when the engines blew? Also, what component broke? ex: rings, piston crown damage...
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote