Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 01-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #183
TedJS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
The new Mobil1 fluid is the new fix for 2019. I will post a picture of my invoice Monday when I pick my car up.
Should be part number 19417904 at this point as most dealers are getting a 55 gallon drum or 19417577 if bottles have become available.

The problem is the old fluid is too hygroscopic and causing the shudder.
TedJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #184
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJS View Post
Should be part number 19417904 at this point as most dealers are getting a 55 gallon drum or 19417577 if bottles have become available.

The problem is the old fluid is too hygroscopic and causing the shudder.
so heres the problem with that. While water is very detrimental to atf, if there was enough water in the fluid to cause a shudder, the first thing that would happen is the friction plates absorbing the excess water. This would cause a shudder most likely, but it would also most likely cause the glue on said plates to disolve, puting friction material in the atf.

now, all of this is a possibility, and a probable cause to our problems.

however, if this were the case, the damage is already done for the guys that have horrendous shudder, and anything over "light".

a simple fluid flush, even with new fluid, wouldn't solve the problem.

having said all of that, if the fluid truly is the culprit, it would still cause the other issues that have been stated before.

you'd have to catch it soon, very soon, for a simple fluid flush to fix the problem, if the problem is, water in the fluid.

most atf fluids don't have hygroscopic properties anymore, especially the dexron fluids. They had a big issue in the 70s with certain corrosion inhibitors making the fluid hygroscopic.

I'm not saying no atf fluid is hygroscopic anymore, but it's been a long time since they learned of it, and surely they've fixed the problem in the last almost 50 years
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #185
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
March 2016 SS....had it.
Funny that GM and Chevy dealer claims that they do not know.
Deny, Deny, Deny!
They think a person with 50k are stupid people!
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #186
TedJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
a simple fluid flush, even with new fluid, wouldn't solve the problem.
Well, I guess owners will find out. Bulletin #18-NA-355 came out this week for all vehicles and that is the latest fix - and that fix is fluid.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #187
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Well, I guess owners will find out. Bulletin #18-NA-355 came out this week for all vehicles and that is the latest fix - and that fix is fluid.
We are aware of that. I sincerely hope that the fluid will fix the problem. But like most, I'm skeptical.

I like how you have faith in gm and their fixes. I have been through 3 of their fixes, and was told they are final, before it actually was.

You see, if my shudder comes back, this next fix would be their last, before my states lemon laws take over.

For everyone's sake, I hope this new fluid is a miracle. But knowing how transmissions work, and fluid, I see it as a bandaid at the least. Just like the last.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #188
TedJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
For everyone's sake, I hope this new fluid is a miracle. But knowing how transmissions work, and fluid, I see it as a bandaid at the least. Just like the last.
That transmission has a rather unique friction carrier plate in the torque converter that works with the pressure plate assembly to lock the TCC. They typically try to keep slip speed of that TCC below 80RPM so the clutch always slips a bit. The older fluid seems create a slip-stick condition after some time (attracts moisture) which creates the shudder feel. Coolant tends to affect friction bonding material more that a small amount of moisture so that explains why the TCC clutch isn't failing and that changing the fluid temporarily fixed the problem.

Dealers in high humidity areas got the fluid and kit first so we'll have to see what happens assuming the technician is properly performing the procedure outlined in the bulletin.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #189
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
That transmission has a rather unique friction carrier plate in the torque converter that works with the pressure plate assembly to lock the TCC. They typically try to keep slip speed of that TCC below 80RPM so the clutch always slips a bit. The older fluid seems create a slip-stick condition after some time (attracts moisture) which creates the shudder feel. Coolant tends to affect friction bonding material more that a small amount of moisture so that explains why the TCC clutch isn't failing and that changing the fluid temporarily fixed the problem.

Dealers in high humidity areas got the fluid and kit first so we'll have to see what happens assuming the technician is properly performing the procedure outlined in the bulletin.
Novice on torque converters here.... What is the purpose of the slip / maintaining less than 80rpm?

Another question...Where are you getting the info on the hygroscopic issue? It sounds like a perfectly viable solution, if true.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #190
TedJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Novice on torque converters here.... What is the purpose of the slip / maintaining less than 80rpm?

Another question...Where are you getting the info on the hygroscopic issue? It sounds like a perfectly viable solution, if true.
It keeps some engine vibrations out of the driveline by letting the clutch slip during firing events etc. One of the reasons AFM isn't enabled on the M6 models is due to the direct connection between engine and trans. That two piece driveshaft combined with working angles would be felt by the customer.

As for the hygroscopic issue... Information was made available to service and technical individuals related to repair/fix. I have access. Been following for some time.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #191
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
It keeps some engine vibrations out of the driveline by letting the clutch slip during firing events etc. One of the reasons AFM isn't enabled on the M6 models is due to the direct connection between engine and trans. That two piece driveshaft combined with working angles would be felt by the customer.

As for the hygroscopic issue... Information was made available to service and technical individuals related to repair/fix. I have access. Been following for some time.
You’re the man, thanks for the info...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #192
egypt123

Drives: none
I bought my 2016 used. Looking at the service history, the previous owner had 2 flushes and the third time they replaced the TC. I haven't experienced the shudder issue since I've owned it, however, I wonder if I should take it up to a dealer and ask that they flush and put in this "new" fluid. Would rather save my tranny/TC than take a chance the "old" fluid will screw it all up again.
egypt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:49 AM   #193
PsyCoe

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS - Mosaic Black
2018 SS, 19k miles, does shudder.

Spoke with dealer the other day and they have ordered the new Q1 2019 fix fluid for my car. Currently it only comes in 55 gallon drums, so they said it will take a few weeks to come in.
PsyCoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #194
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
I know the Richland County "Live PD" use 2016+ A8 Camaros and wonder how many of their fleet have been affected by the shudder. Waiting to see a pursuit and then they hit those rumble strips in the middle of the HWY
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #195
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thank god this is not live PD chasing Oj in California hywy. Sorry got to laugh....had it with the A8 shudder until now still a problem of mine.

Should jus gotten a Jeep.
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #196
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt123 View Post
I bought my 2016 used. Looking at the service history, the previous owner had 2 flushes and the third time they replaced the TC. I haven't experienced the shudder issue since I've owned it, however, I wonder if I should take it up to a dealer and ask that they flush and put in this "new" fluid. Would rather save my tranny/TC than take a chance the "old" fluid will screw it all up again.
I am in the same boat. New TC (warranty) last fall before storage. Just called the dealer who replaced the TC and asked if they would do a preemptive fluid change under warranty when i pull it out of the garage. Waiting to hear back. Sure would love it if this was the final time dealing with this tranny BS!