Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
Jin
4Harambe

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6Speed
Issues to causing "Limp Mode"?

** I just realized I accidentally posted this in the V6 forum, sorry.... **

So I installed Kooks long tube headers (with non-catted pipes), and I noticed these things so far since the install...

1) When cold-starting, the exhaust makes an awful vibrating noise that sounds super raspy. I could only assume that because there are no cats, that the air pressure is causing the NPP valve at the end of the outside tips to vibrate more, causing the nasty, raspy rattle sound. Has anyone had anything similar to this?

2) When I step hard on the gas to give it some good amount of "go", I don't experience any issues. When I want to make a nice little U-Turn, or make any sharp turn, and attempt to give it some good amount of gas to "assist" me in the turn, it goes into "limp mode", and the nice little service engine light comes on. Could the difference in air flow, plus the quick turning radius cause something like this??

3) During a cold start, I notice that the engine makes a puffing sound every like 4 or 5 seconds, sometimes in fewer intervals.

I do know that all of this could be solved with a quick tune. I do plan on bringing it to a shop soon to have it dyno-tuned, but I wanted to go ahead and buy an aftermarket air intake first, and if buying cats is the only way to make that awful rattling from a cold start go away, then I will do this before tuning as well.

Although I may have given the remedy already (by acknowledging that I need to tune it), the only reason I want to kind of expand on these issues is so I have future knowledge on it, on the chance friends of mine have similar issues, and just for gee-whiz, I guess.

• C.C. (C2) / Cecile - 2013 Camaro 1SS - RIP 8 Oct 2016
  • Artemis - 2016 Camaro 2SS

Last edited by Jin; 03-05-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
iKingerz

Drives: ‘16 2SS
Did you ever get this issue resolved?
iKingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no it shouldn't go into limp mode with headers. something got hooked up wrong ,loose or burnt. check your plug wires. may be burnt. did you move the wiring below the coolant overflow tank as far over as it could go? should wrap it in heat shield tape too. may have cracked a plug if you didnt take them out during install.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
JCunningham

3-5-2017 hes gone hasnt posted sense
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 01-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
iKingerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
no it shouldn't go into limp mode with headers. something got hooked up wrong ,loose or burnt. check your plug wires. may be burnt. did you move the wiring below the coolant overflow tank as far over as it could go? should wrap it in heat shield tape too. may have cracked a plug if you didnt take them out during install.
Thank you for the suggestions. The issue I’m currently having is it goes into limp mode when turning left. It will not do it going straight, or right. But for whatever reasons, when I turn left with a little bit of momentum it goes into limp mode with a CEL. I got the code looked at, and it says it was the accelerator pedal sensor. I replaced the gas pedal, but no luck there. I guess nascar isn’t for me if I can’t go left
Old 01-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Turning left makes the engine shift toward the passenger side and the harness jc was talking about....
Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
JCunningham

ya check for burn harness befor next start. it needs to be as close to the fender as possible. id rap it with heat tape to like in my pic. its the bottom one i have zip tied to the fender.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...Term=heat+tape
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
iKingerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
ya check for burn harness befor next start. it needs to be as close to the fender as possible. id rap it with heat tape to like in my pic. its the bottom one i have zip tied to the fender.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...Term=heat+tape
I owe you a huge thank you sir. Turns out it was indeed the wiring harness located underneath the coolant resovoir tank. I’ll look into that tape you reccomended, thank you once again!
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
JCunningham

ooo your going to have to do some wiring. disconnect your battery now. your going to have to fix every burnt wire. solder shrink tubing not crimp connectors. if your not good a soldering find someone that is very good at it. you dont want added resistance.