Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
I should sell our MyLink

I absolutely can't believe the price that people pay for this MyLink POS. I'll probably get beaten up here but I can't stand the monstrosity. My wife is driving our 2014 2SS/RS but if it were me, I'd have pulled that MyLink and replaced it with a Schoche and Kenwood w/Garmin. I drove the car for a couple of days and the navigation is worthless here. I swear that the bitch is drunk that is giving me directions. out of a half dozen destinations, it got one right. The rest were anywhere from 2-10 miles off! I mean...I'd put in a street address and it would direct me to a completely different street name and tell me that I was at my destination. WTF?

No capacitive touch either. :(

I'm going to put a Kenwood DNN991HD in my 2012 and I bet that if someone made a decent offer on the MyLink in our 2014, the wife would agree to sell it...
Old 11-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
Beware of the Scosche module. It does not function well with Camaros.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
jgray1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji276289 View Post
Beware of the Scosche module. It does not function well with Camaros.
Yea, I've read of the radio frequency interference (TPMS, keyless, etc).
Old 11-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Thanks for the input, I love Kenwood's head units. I would like to get an aftermarket radio with the OEM bezel. Don't like the extra screen on the Scosche and the Metra looks like a giant calculator IMO. I may just buy one of them and have a shop custom fabricate something off of it.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Scosche kit will not work in 2014-2015 Camaros with My Link with built-in Nav.
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
jgray1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Thanks for the input, I love Kenwood's head units. I would like to get an aftermarket radio with the OEM bezel. Don't like the extra screen on the Scosche and the Metra looks like a giant calculator IMO. I may just buy one of them and have a shop custom fabricate something off of it.
If you do, I'm sure that you'll get a bunch on here that would buy with you. The biggest hurdle is figuring out how to change vehicle settings.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Not sure I get the hate for MyLink. It's not a perfect system by any means but IMO, it's far better than the Pioneer/Metra setup I had and feels much better integrated with the car both in looks and functionality. Even it's touchscreen and Nav is far superior to what my Pioneer had (X940BT I think).

Most of the time, I'm either using FM, XM or Bluetooth to my iPhone. I rarely use the MyLink Nav and use Google on my iPhone. So, maybe the biggest complaints on MyLink are outside of what I use it for?
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
jgray1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
Not sure I get the hate for MyLink. It's not a perfect system by any means but IMO, it's far better than the Pioneer/Metra setup I had and feels much better integrated with the car both in looks and functionality. Even it's touchscreen and Nav is far superior to what my Pioneer had (X940BT I think).

Most of the time, I'm either using FM, XM or Bluetooth to my iPhone. I rarely use the MyLink Nav and use Google on my iPhone. So, maybe the biggest complaints on MyLink are outside of what I use it for?
Because it's a POS. People pay $1500+ for this thing. It may be superior in looks due to using factory HVAC controls but the rest is crap. If your Pioneer had worse NAV than this thing, I feel bad for you.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
LOL! I sold my Mylink Non nav non heated seat unit for 800 bucks on eBay, just a warning it was a complete nightmare selling it. Buyer claimed it didn't work after he installed it so he opened a dispute. I won dispute after 10 days (800 dollar hold was on my bank account) 2 months later he opened up a charge back case against me now. (closed all my accounts so he can't do anything)

Anyways. I have schoche kit in my car with an Alpine Ine-w957hd. No issues with schoche kit besides time to time chime will go off for no reason (have to press hazard button to get it to stop but no big) I suggest you go schoche and kenwood. ;]
Old 11-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
strutton
SStrutt

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I installed the DNN991HD and love it. The Scosche "was" a POS. Apparently they pulled all their units to fix the problems. I called Scosche to find out how to get a working unit and was told anything date stamped after October 2014 should be fine. My shop called multiple dealers to find one with that date stamp. Unfortunately the one they sent wasn't actually October it was March and sure enough it was fubar'd. So I called Scosche and they overnighted a freshly tested unit.

The only hiccup was the dashkit was in Malibu mode and the instructions didn't say how to change the car (we actually thought it was just fubar'd too). Eventually holding the setup key brought a screen where you could select the car type and choose Camaro.

We also tapped into the camera line and got the backup camera working. Wow I had no idea the OEM camera had such great resolution.

Only connection problem left to resolve is the Onstar, we used the CAMOSM kit but Onstar will not play over the speakers. Waiting on shop to give me a resolution.

I have highflow cats and Solo cat-back so my car has a nice rumble. I've started to notice the Scosche dashkit squeak (plastic rubbing) with the vibrations of the car. I think it's more prevalent with the cold temps. Not sure how I'm going to resolve this one yet.

BTW the MyLink is a huge POS. Before the Kenwood, using a FARK my high end Focal speakers sounded distorted, we blew 5 subs then found the line levels from the MyLink+FARK were highly distorted. My new setup Kenwwod DNN991HD + Amps, is so clean and loud. I love it.

Last edited by strutton; 11-27-2014 at 09:18 AM.
strutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I love my Mylink and the navigation. I think there are definitely some out there with bugs or just bad programming because I here stories about them. But mine has been great. I use my Nav a lot and its always precise and exact. I don't use the voice commands though, I turned them off the first day I had the car, never liked them interrupting the radio. The only complaint I can think of is the little bit of lag between pushing the button and it happening but its not bad at all. Sorry you have all the problems with yours.

I would take the Mylink over something aftermarket anyday.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I hate saying this, but I'm not a fan of OEM screen systems. They're usually overcomplicated and have features that either never get used or have too many menus to use effectively. Instead of investing countless dollars into developing new systems, OEMs should simply offer basic maps and radios.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
The Mylink in my 2015 is working almost flawlessly. The Nav on the Camaro is, I feel, more user friendly than the one in my Dodge The only problem I have is with the Bluetooth, but I think it's more related to how it communicates with my android. When I have one music app running (Amazon) in the phone, the Mylink (and the Dodge system) will default to the phone default music app (Music)

OP, I think your main issue with the NAV is satellite reception. This would have an impact on how soon you would be receiving messages relating to directions to your destination.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
batone
2012 2SS/RS vert 6spd

Drives: 2012 Convertible SS/RS
So..... Does any of the aftermarket kits work like they are supposed to? I have a 2012 SS/RS, with basic head unit and BA speakers. Want to add nav, but don't want to install something that will require a crap load of modifications.

Last edited by batone; 11-30-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
batone is offline   Reply With Quote