Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
Dealer scratched my car

Today I took my car in for an oil change and they washed it, when the car was ready, I inspected and found fine scratches everywhere. They were not swirl marks, but were the same kind of scratches only going up and down almost as if somebody dried it with a towel full of contaminants. So I told my service manager and he said that their towels go straight from car to water which we all know is a recipe for scratches. He said that they don't buff black cars because the pigment in the color is different, I told him your not buffing paint your buffing clear coat, it's the same on all colors. So he told me they can't do anything to which I said okay but I will file a claim with GM, and immediately he offered to detail and buff my car. What would you guys have done?
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
RedHotRuby

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS LFX
Seems like you made out. Good job.
RedHotRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Back in Black 2010

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
I would have told them not to wash my car when they were done.

When i take my car in i do a walk around with the service advisor and when the service is done i go over the car before i leave.

Having said that you did the right thing by telling service manager you were going to contact GM that is the last thing they want.
Back in Black 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
1LE 2NV

Drives: '14 Summit White 2ss 1le Rs Npp Nav
My dealership advised me not to wash my car with them
1LE 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The same thing that you did.

Good job !
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
i dont let the dealer wash my car
Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
BlazinJake
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro 3.6L V6
Sucks to hear! I've also got some Horror stories from the dealer... and what's sad? I've only owned the car for almost a month... already damaged 2 rims, take forever (3.5 hours for 2 tires after having waited 2 weeks for them to come in and my appt was first thing in the morning) etc etc...
BlazinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Kind of a funny story, but when I had my car in for a warranty steering rack replacement last week, I was wandering around the showroom (drooling on a Z28) and overheard what I guess was a manager talking to another guy who works there about the "dumbass kids" who can't figure out how to wash cars without damaging them. I kind of chuckled to myself...and found myself hoping they wouldn't wash mine.

They didn't, fortunately, but I'll remember to ask if I have to go again.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Yeah with black I'm super careful, unfortunately you can't trust anyone with your paint. Get a good orbital buffer and learn how to buff yourself if you don't want scratches in black. Everything cause scratches. That's what I do. I can personally recommend the same porter cable buffer of mine. PM me if you like.

Also browse through the detailing section of the forums, they can help you out the most.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
The same guys who washed your car are the same guys who buffed it. I worked for multiple dealerships and the ones who do the service washes are the detailers. So now go hand wash your car and put it in the sun, you'll probably freak out. I would NEVER let a dealership touch my BLACK car with a buffer, EVER.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Black View Post
Today I took my car in for an oil change and they washed it, when the car was ready, I inspected and found fine scratches everywhere. They were not swirl marks, but were the same kind of scratches only going up and down almost as if somebody dried it with a towel full of contaminants. So I told my service manager and he said that their towels go straight from car to water which we all know is a recipe for scratches. He said that they don't buff black cars because the pigment in the color is different, I told him your not buffing paint your buffing clear coat, it's the same on all colors. So he told me they can't do anything to which I said okay but I will file a claim with GM, and immediately he offered to detail and buff my car. What would you guys have done?
Those fine scratches in one direction are the exact same as swirls. People call them swirls because a source of light will illuminate those straight-line scratches only within the halo of the light. (which is circular) It sounds like you learned the hard way though never let the dealership wash your car, I would even go as far as placing signs on the car to this effect and having it noted on the work order by the service writer.

I wouldn't let them detail the car though. They are going to have some towel jockey that has only been there a month go over the entire car with a high speed rotary with a very aggressive compound and pad and they are going to leave holograms all over the car or potentially burn through clear coat. Find out what it is going to cost to have a professional near you perform the paint correction and then have the dealer pay for it. If they wont then file a claim with GM.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
The same guys who washed your car are the same guys who buffed it. I worked for multiple dealerships and the ones who do the service washes are the detailers. So now go hand wash your car and put it in the sun, you'll probably freak out. I would NEVER let a dealership touch my BLACK car with a buffer, EVER.
That reminds me they may have used a Glaze applied by a buffer and that will fill in and hide the scratches. In about a week or two that will wear off and you will be able to see them again. All the more reason to only trust yourself or an established professional with the care of your paint.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
never let the dealer wash your car I always leave
instructions never to wash the car or road test it if not required as part of the service. I don't even let my dealer change my oil
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
Wapoel
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Why not?
I like to get a free wash.
Not sure why you had a problem?
Wapoel is offline   Reply With Quote