Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #57
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Wow they nailed the appearance of the car. It looks beautiful. Dare I say, better than my ZL1 1LE...

But I wish it had side-vents on the front fenders like the GT350.

I also wish our ZL1 had these side-vents.

But its too heavy and it's going to sell for $25k over MSRP...
ACS makes some killer carbon fenders with side vents..... for the regular SS.....
I was so bent they didn't make them for the ZL1.

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #58
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
Lots of hype on the 2020 Ford Shelby GT500. What a beautiful and amazing car from what I can tell. Ford just realesed a press video that states sub 3’sec 0-60 & a sub 11 sec quarter mile. Their 4200 Pound Curb Weight GT500 will not be beating us in stock form.
Well, I thought you just made a wild guess at the weight of the car and didn't think it would be anywhere near that heavy, but you might be right. If so, I may have to recant my performance numbers, even though it is still possible if they don't hamper the car off the line with massive amounts of torque management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
I haven't seen any concrete info on weight. Who said it'll be 4200 pounds? And actually, even if it is and it has 700+ hp that may be enough to not matter. Hellcats are over 4500lbs and can keep up or beat a ZL1 in a straight line.

What's everybody's problem with the gear selector knob? It's just there to select park, reverse, neutral, drive, and manual mode. Most Ford vehicles have that now and manufacturers commonly keep switchgear like that common across their lineups. It's cool to me since the car doesn't need a floor mounted shifter and it unclutters that console area.

This car will not sticker any $100k. How does this "look" like it will be the one? If we're talking markups, GT350R's have already crossed that mark.

The DCT is a brand new transmission from Tremec. If I'm not mistaken, this will be the first car it is used in. And you must be joking about the GT350 being a flop? They were far from a flop. The R's still go for over sticker price to this day, and it's over 3 years after launch. The regular models still command sticker or very small discounts at most. You're very wrong here.

Several forum members have broken into the 10's with A10 ZL1's, but it's not common. If he GT500 can put the power down, and has well over 700hp, it will be faster no doubt.
https://youtu.be/I6qy5RxH7_g

I just watched this video that talks about this supposedly fake leaked document, that looks like was actually real, factual information. So I think those are most likely the real numbers. 720 hp, 650 lb/ft, 4225 lbs. With a 300+ lb disadvantage, it will be hard for that extra 70 hp to make it faster than our A10s.

As for the shifter knob, it just doesn't look or feel right for a sports car. Maybe it's just me being used to shifting gears. Every sports car I've owned have been manuals except 2. Even if I'm driving an auto, if it has a shifter in the console, I rest my hand on it quite a bit. Lol! Then with my Z, if I shift it manually, I always use the shifter unless I'm really being aggressive, then I use the paddles. It just feels more natural using the shifter. Can't do that in the GT500.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #59
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I do love the look of the car even if I don't care for the knob, and at this point, a bit let down on what its performance metrics are looking like with the info we have. It's still an awesome car that will be a threat to its direct competitors. The Demon killer statement just had us all expecting more than what will be delivered, it looks like.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #60
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I would be more inclined to buy the Supra. Better quality, fit and finish and paint.
Hey man! You just crossed the line with this comment. Lol. But seriously, that Supra has to one of the biggest auto show letdowns ever. Toyota, after 20 years just basically subcontracted out a build of it's most iconic car ever. Can they not put a real focus on anything besides economy cars? All this time and they couldn't dig in and create their own real sports car? They have to be one of the most profitable automakers out there, and this watered down thing is what we get? The FT1 concept is what this car deserves to be. And it deserves more than 330 horsepower. That's barely more than the car had 20 years ago. 500hp should've been the least they even considered. It's a sad machine.

This is the car we should've seen this week.
Attached Images

mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #61
mdmoore23

Not this
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #62
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Yeah, count me in the group that is unimpressed with the Supra. I was never that big a fan of the original though.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #63
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
From what I've read they had to scale down the FT-1 concept to fit the architecture BMW would be supplying. Definitely not as good looking as the concept. The most disappointing part of the car to me was that you can't get a manual and it doesn't have a back seat.

Back to the GT500. It would be a Camaro enthusiasts dream if Chevy dropped the LT5 in a ZL1 to steal some of this cars thunder. I'll always remember when they announced the 5th gen ZL1 numbers and Ford immediately let everyone know the GT500 would surpass it. I realize the ZL1 is the better overall car but the 2013 GT500 sure made some headlines and I'd like to see some payback.

So GM if you're listening... the day Ford releases the numbers (weight will probably be the most important for this car) you let the internet know the Camaro is getting the LT5. Also release a commercial that has Megan Fox in it... she pulls up next to a brand new GT500 that still has the dealer markup on the window and surprisingly says "Oh you got the GT500?". The guy hangs his head and says "Yeah, I guess I did". Then she screams off in her badass LT5 Camaro. Not too much to ask right.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #64
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Apparently it's a great challenge for people to understand that design concept cars (FT-1) are never practical for production.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #65
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
Attached Images

chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #66
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
I do not think official power figures have been released yet. If the power is around the stated amount and same with weight, and it is Real-Wheel Drive, then that DCT will need to be MacLaren magic to get under 11 sec. in the 1/4 mi.

In an interesting quote, the Ford rep. indicated that the DCT was used because the A10 (a variation of the A10 in our cars) had trouble with the Torque! This is the opposite of what every other source has said on the ability DCT's to handle heavy torque. I would also point out that our ZL1 A10 seems to do fine with 650trq. And yes, I am aware of torque management software and its role in saving the transmission.
The ZL1 variant is a heavier duty version that not only did Ford not opt into, they were caught off guard that GM was executing and leading off with it in the ZL1. They thought they were gonna be first with the 10AT in their trucks. ZL1 beat ‘em by a few months.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #67
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
So far as I can tell, it is going to be a heavy car and at the most 70 more HP than the ZL1. The ZL1 1LE is so much lighter. It should take the GT500 on a road course, but it will be close.

What I don't get is that shitty transmission. It is not a sports car, it is a boulevard cruiser.

I thought we grew out of push button transmissions like this.!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Well, I thought you just made a wild guess at the weight of the car and didn't think it would be anywhere near that heavy, but you might be right. If so, I may have to recant my performance numbers, even though it is still possible if they don't hamper the car off the line with massive amounts of torque management.

https://youtu.be/I6qy5RxH7_g

I just watched this video that talks about this supposedly fake leaked document, that looks like was actually real, factual information. So I think those are most likely the real numbers. 720 hp, 650 lb/ft, 4225 lbs. With a 300+ lb disadvantage, it will be hard for that extra 70 hp to make it faster than our A10s.

As for the shifter knob, it just doesn't look or feel right for a sports car. Maybe it's just me being used to shifting gears. Every sports car I've owned have been manuals except 2. Even if I'm driving an auto, if it has a shifter in the console, I rest my hand on it quite a bit. Lol! Then with my Z, if I shift it manually, I always use the shifter unless I'm really being aggressive, then I use the paddles. It just feels more natural using the shifter. Can't do that in the GT500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
I do love the look of the car even if I don't care for the knob, and at this point, a bit let down on what its performance metrics are looking like with the info we have. It's still an awesome car that will be a threat to its direct competitors. The Demon killer statement just had us all expecting more than what will be delivered, it looks like.
I get the impression that some people are associating the knob with the functionality and capability of the dual clutch transmission. DCTs are the transmission of choice for fast exotics. The GTR is as quick as it is in large part due to its DCT. Same for McLarens. Rumor has it C8 will have a DCT.

I do get the angst over the dial. The dial is only to select direction. Parked, forward, or reverse. Manual gear selection is through the paddles. But personally, I’m like 17CamaroZL1 in that I at least want the option to shift with a console mounted shifter. Lack of that doesn’t invalidate the transmission’s functionality though.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #68
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Apparently it's a great challenge for people to understand that design concept cars (FT-1) are never practical for production.
Who’s having trouble with understanding this? And since when was the supra(a 2 seater sports car) ever supposed to be practical? The Supra, like the skyline, ford gt, or zr1 are highly impractical cars that push the envelope of design and technical capabilities of an auto maker. Often times these cars sacrifice practicality even further to make a beautiful car just to drum up excitement for the brand as a whole.

I feel people are having a more challenging time understanding why Toyota felt the need to use the Supra name on a car that is so “meh.”
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #69
mdmoore23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I don't see where anyone is having trouble. Toyota simply should've delivered a car that had peoples attention and that was the FT1. It wasn't some super crazy concept. It was a doable vehicle from what I could see. They simply had to change the dimensions to what we currently see because of the BMW partnership. There's no other reason. Had they built their own car and not subcontracted it out, they could've delivered something closer to the concept. The fact is that after 20 years of absolutely no exciting cars coming from them, it seems they couldn't even be bothered with trying to deliver something that lives up to their most iconic nameplate. They should've just stuck to the TRD Camry's and Avalons.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #70
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
GT500 looks great but with no manual would never consider it. No HUD or sunroof is unfortunate as well. Supra front end got hit with the ugly stick and would never ever consider it. The GT500 dealer markups are gonna make my ZL1 deal at or near half the price. Either way competition is good.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote