Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 12-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-J View Post
LOL! Dude you have to know if you are the kind of guy that knows people and always find a way to get stuff done others will not understand. Your one thing to figure out is if that panel, roof panel, is easy to remove. If it is then this is a easy job if you can get the parts. It's not complicated or going to twist with the frame of the car. These car are very stiff and designed to have this feature so it isn't a big issue. If that roof panel is difficult to remove then it will cost you more but nothing like 10K. Those prices are for people who walk in and say, "So what is it gonna cost me?"

The bad news is probably mentioned in this article: https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...ounds-lighter/

Other than the panel it is not an issue at all.

Yeah, most of the responses I've been getting sounds like from people that don't have a clue how they would approach the situation other than walking into the nicest building and asking for a price tag from start to finish. No shit they'll rape you if you aimlessly want to slap shit on the car with no sense of direction of how you'd like to approach the problem.

I'm seeing multiple Camaro's with aftermarket Webasto sunroofs and other shit that work flawlessly and I'm not even looking to do that, I was going to buy OEM sunroof assembly and parts off another Camaro and fit them directly in as they should.

Anyways, are you basically saying that besides the downside of installation, the car would also become noticeably heavier and slow down the speed as well?
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #16
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Infamous_E View Post
Yeah, most of the responses I've been getting sounds like from people that don't have a clue how they would approach the situation other than walking into the nicest building and asking for a price tag from start to finish. No shit they'll rape you if you aimlessly want to slap shit on the car with no sense of direction of how you'd like to approach the problem.

I'm seeing multiple Camaro's with aftermarket Webasto sunroofs and other shit that work flawlessly and I'm not even looking to do that, I was going to buy OEM sunroof assembly and parts off another Camaro and fit them directly in as they should.

Anyways, are you basically saying that besides the downside of installation, the car would also become noticeably heavier and slow down the speed as well?

No I don't see any weight issues. I was trying to find an image of the frame bare but could only find one...from an accident. There is a bar that runs across at what looks like the front part of the roof. In the article they state that they laser welded the roof on BUT that may not be a big thing. I'm just not familiar with that process. See someone would have to get it from the donor and off yours to do the swap. Parts should be cheap you will be shocked how many wrecked Camaros are around your city. Heck there is a 2019 bumper for sale already in my area. The only issue, as I said, is how to get the laser welded roof off. The average roof is spot welded and not hard at all. Removing the windows is easy. I am not familiar with your market but in mine I would guess 1- 1,500 for a job like that total.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
What if I just order the whole damn roof panel and the sunroof assembly from a car that has it directly installed from manufacturer and swap it out with my mine? Lol
headliner, wiring harness
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #18
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Infamous, you asked for input from folks on here and now you are bad mouthing us. Well you do what you want to do with your Camaro. I think it’s crazy what you want to do but go for it. Most all people on here are trying to give you good advice but I guess you know more than we do so again go for it.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:13 AM   #19
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-J View Post
No I don't see any weight issues. I was trying to find an image of the frame bare but could only find one...from an accident. There is a bar that runs across at what looks like the front part of the roof. In the article they state that they laser welded the roof on BUT that may not be a big thing. I'm just not familiar with that process. See someone would have to get it from the donor and off yours to do the swap. Parts should be cheap you will be shocked how many wrecked Camaros are around your city. Heck there is a 2019 bumper for sale already in my area. The only issue, as I said, is how to get the laser welded roof off. The average roof is spot welded and not hard at all. Removing the windows is easy. I am not familiar with your market but in mine I would guess 1- 1,500 for a job like that total.
Honestly, that price range is great and lower than what I expected. I'm sure I can find some high-tech sunroof facility somewhere in California that can handle the process for me, maybe pay a bit extra for a proper job done, but I honestly don't see why it'd be so difficult to have something like this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
headliner, wiring harness
Headliner should be the same, I'm sure, the inside of the roof shouldn't change, just the exterior and middle portions to make room for a sunroof. Wiring should also be with the assembly kit I'm purchasing - both of these would be technically what I'm paying for in the labor work, along with welding the new roof/creating hole/etcetera so I don't see how this is an issue entirely.

Even if absolute shit hits the fan, I can still install a manual sunroof without any power controls; I'd basically need just a damn hole in my roof at that point if nothing else works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
Infamous, you asked for input from folks on here and now you are bad mouthing us. Well you do what you want to do with your Camaro. I think it’s crazy what you want to do but go for it. Most all people on here are trying to give you good advice but I guess you know more than we do so again go for it.
I'm not bad mouthing anyone, but it's clearly obvious that I'm receiving a ton of extremely biased answers from a select few commenters on how they dislike the idea and the level of absurdity it is to pull through more so than whether it's do-able and how much it would cost.
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #20
Ray-J

Good luck man if you complete it post it. I want the same thing done but I have other mods on my list that come first.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #21
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Yeah, once it's done, post a picture of it raining inside of your car
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #22
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:

So tell me how do you plan on getting past the BCM programming issue? I mean if you intend or want it to work just as it was OEM.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #23
Ray-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullpower View Post
Hello everyone. I know this is my first post and I do not own a Camaro yet but I’ve been a car enthusiast since I was a kid 30+ years ago.

As I understand it, the 6th gen Camaro roof panel is welded to the unibody utilizing a new technology and robotic welding to create a seamless assembly and eliminate the need for gutter trim covering the weld seams.

Trying to install a moonroof in a non-moonroof car might not be impossible, but I wouldn’t trust ANYONE to even attempt it. Your roof panel will never be welded back the way it is now. You WILL have rattles, a weakened structure, poor panel fitment..... no garage wishing to keep any kind of positive reputation they may have would even accept this project.

Yea this was mentioned in the article that I posted for him. That panel is the only road block, other than that it really isn't a big issue.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #24
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
A sun roof gets rid of the reverse Mohawk roof.

Like others have said if it is that important to you sell the car and get one with the sun roof. You could probably step up to a 2 ss and get the roof for $5k
Old 12-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #25
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Guys, as you can see he was waiting for the one comment saying it is doable (despite all the other comments saying it'll be very expensive). He got it, now he will attempt it.

Let's see the results. Mayne he will come back saying we were right or wrong.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #26
Ray-J

No that is not true he wanted information not someone saying just buy a new car. Doesn't mean he was going to go through with it just information. Also think of how he feels when he hears exaggerated pricing and ATTACKS because he didn't agree. On a final note who cares about some reverse mohawk cars with sunroofs don't have one and people still like the car. Sometime people have to let others explore ideas before attacking and trying to make "jokes" that are thinly guised attacks. Basically he wanted information not opinions.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #27
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
This is the same guy asking about bullet proof glass... I think he is just messing with us.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #28
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I didn’t realize people were attacking him by giving him some good advice. Personally I think his Camaro is way too new to f**k up but it’s his car to do whatever he wants to do to it so I’m done with this!